If you work, what do you do?

JillyBean.MI

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I'm interested what y'll do. Being out of the workforce and moderately Deaf, I'm hoping to find something to do. And without having a degree, makes it more difficult.

I am starting under the table lawn care work this summer.

Before September of last year I lost my job of 2+ years as a store manager/Cashier/Meat & Deli because I was finally "too deaf" for the job according to the employer.

You can do anything you want to do, what do you enjoy doing?

Myself I have a degree in computers and networks. As well as 25+ years of knowledge working in the restaurant business and running a line as a cook.

Right now I am studying to take a USPS Postal Exam 473. I'm going to do a career change with a bigger company for chances of setting up a retirement fund and getting a bit more money, that I can't seem to get from working in the Bar/Restaurant Business.

If a company got rid of you because you were 'too deaf' you should have sued them. It's against the law for any company to fire anyone, regardless of their disability.

Working with elderly people is in demand , the baby boomers are hitting their 70's now and will need help , heath aides are needed to help people be able to stay in their own home. I was one and I am I very hoh . It's hard work you need a good strong back and thick skin and a strong stomach . :giggle: I was a health aide b/c I wanted to reported elderly abuse.
I helped my company proved a client that had Alzheimer was being abused by her SOB husband. We were able to have her removed from him into a safe place. That was a great feeling to know I helped the poor lady that could not speak for herself anymore. I would love to had done this longer but I as hurt on the job doing an errant for a client, a teenage driver Tboned my car and I was no able to lift people anymore.

I am a Service Champion/Food Champion/Cleaning Captain at Taco Bell, and a delivery driver/Insider at Papa John's.

My job is to buy lottery ticket on every Mondays and Wednesdays.

Out of curiosity, I'm interested what y'll do. Being out of the workforce and moderately Deaf, I'm hoping to find something to do. And without having a degree, makes it more difficult.

My jobs are seasonal. during spring-summer-fall.... I'm a web programmer. during winter - I'm a ski bum. today is my last day of skiing for the season.... maybe.

My job is seasonal like Jiro's....during the school year, I am a teacher and during the summer, I am a beach and pool bum. LOL! Speaking of being a bum...this week is my spring break so I will be going RVing at Atlantic City with my hubby later on this week.

Last edited:
dog trainer; work part time at holistic pet supply shop; humane society volunteer in behavior and training-

I'm a Meat Dept Mgr at a major Washington, D.C. Supermarket in VA.
I'm hoping that my hearing loss will not get so bad before retirement that I have to have a ADA grievance.

Assistant instructor japanese Go Ju Ryu Karate Do Siewa Kai Goshukan yamaguci Ha lineage, Goju Kai, Japanese Karate federation.
Any deafies in niagara and want to come to dojo, pm me.

Retired from Newspaper Advertising, worked in several. News, Advertising and Graphic Arts. Kept busy after retirement, co-owner of a Thrift Store, then a few stints at Restaurants, doing quality control. Now, just a stay-at-home, spoiling my great-grandbaby.

My job is to buy lottery ticket on every Mondays and Wednesdays.

you love this couple they won European lottery twice in a month now that's a job i do well if only numbers come up

i was a RN but gave up after deaf,then ducking and diving

I sell bicycles. My bachelor degree hasn't made much of a difference lately. I wish it did, but I feel like it hasn't.

I used to work in a group home last year, but i left the job in October after 2.5 years being employed there. Ive been working different places since 1989. Not easy to land a job these days especially harder for us deafies. Sigh.

Sent from my LG-D851 using AllDeaf App mobile app

My bachelor degree hasn't made much of a difference lately. I wish it did, but I feel like it hasn't.

I got a degree in computer science and currently work as a computer programmer and even I thought the degree wasn't worth much. I ended up unlearning quite a bit from school when I graduated and started working.

Back