If you were given the chance to start any career

cdaigle430

Reaction score
What would you choose based on being HOH or Deaf? I am asking because I am being given a very rare opportunity to change careers for free. I need ideas for careers that a HOH or Deaf person can grow with please. I am currently in information technology but find it increasingly more difficult to reliably be on call and communicate anymore.

I'm trying to break into web development/programming. Potentially $100,000 a year after 5 to 6 years, if you're very good. Take a look at this: Learn to code | Codecademy

Since you're in IT, programming might be a good one to leverage into from IT.

Incidentally, I've been told that AS/400 programmers can eventually earn $200,000 per year, because there are so few programmers for this old -- but still in use -- technology.

Plumbing and electrician work can pay very, very well after a few years. Sometimes over $100,000 a year.

All depends on what city you're working in, too. Some cities don't pay well.

I also suspect that if you focus on jobs that are hard for employers to fill, they will probably be more accommodating of hearing loss. The reason being that since it's hard to find people to do the job competently anyway, they're not going to raise a fuss about hearing loss. Hopefully.

What would you choose based on being HOH or Deaf? I am asking because I am being given a very rare opportunity to change careers for free. I need ideas for careers that a HOH or Deaf person can grow with please. I am currently in information technology but find it increasingly more difficult to reliably be on call and communicate anymore.

what do you really want to do?

for me - I'd go into database field instead of web programming.

He's in maine and his avitar is a 4 wheeler so he's probably not from portland (aka the city) :lol:

Pay is not that great in maine and right now there isn't a lot of work in the construction trades. You might get some out of state web work but that comes with it's own headaches. Are you looking for something totally different?

A friend of mine does this and makes pretty good money. I always found it to boring but it might have just been the projects i worked on. Not very imaginative projects.

Why database instead of web programming? Sincere question since I'm finding my own way as well.

Why database instead of web programming? Sincere question since I'm finding my own way as well.

Right now there are a lot of web developers and only a little web work but only a few database guys and lots of backend work. It's all about the data these days. I think i read somewhere it's one of the fastest growing job markets right now.

Right now there are a lot of web developers and only a little web work but only a few database guys and lots of backend work. It's all about the data these days. I think i read somewhere it's one of the fastest growing job markets right now.

Strange, I have a mentor who is guiding me in what to learn to start a web dev job. He says the web dev market is hiring a lot of people right now. Maybe it's certain cities?

because I like GIS. I love to make smarter-version of maps. This requires a lot of database programming. It's fun!

web field is over-saturated and I don't have a drive for it like I do for GIS.

Strange, I have a mentor who is guiding me in what to learn to start a web dev job. He says the web dev market is hiring a lot of people right now. Maybe it's certain cities?

yes they are hiring a lot of people but only experienced people. that's why I didn't have a problem finding another job in a short time after I got let go last year.

if you have a strong drive to always learn new web programming languages and creating website, then go for it.

I switched from IT field to intelligence, started a few years ago (2009-2010) it's been a journey but I like what I do a lot better. I always tell others who are unsure of their jobs - can you see yourself staying your field until you retire? If not, you should think about backup plans.

Not sure, tired of having to work 60 plus hours a week and dealing with the stress of communication.

He's in maine and his avitar is a 4 wheeler so he's probably not from portland (aka the city) :lol:

Pay is not that great in maine and right now there isn't a lot of work in the construction trades. You might get some out of state web work but that comes with it's own headaches. Are you looking for something totally different?

I am hoping for something different but will stay in IT if need be as long as I can stay away from on call stuff.

True, not much here in Maine unless you work for the top three emplyers which is the state, feds, and medical.

Not sure, tired of having to work 60 plus hours a week and dealing with the stress of communication.

Are you salary right now? I'll never be salary again, they work you to death for the same pay. I don't mind putting in the hours as long as I get paid for it.

i would work with wood carving and cabnet making...world will always need carpenters

i would work with wood carving and cabnet making...world will always need carpenters

I know of 4 different cabinet makers and one wood shop in my area that just closed up from lack of work. The yearly trade show we attend had about half the people it did 3 years ago. There is some work but it is spotty.

People need roofs and windows and heat/air. But they don't need carvings and new kitchens.

I know of 4 different cabinet makers and one wood shop in my area that just closed up from lack of work. The yearly trade show we attend had about half the people it did 3 years ago. There is some work but it is spotty.

People need roofs and windows and heat/air. But they don't need carvings and new kitchens.

that great shame,good wood furniture sheer craftmanship.A carpenter in my son village rebuilt my son house from scratch clever
it just something i would choose for myself is wood..
In wales they have these things called love spoons made of wood, friend of ours saw a market in carving them,he multi millianair now

You would always be an animal vet if you wanted to be one. Pay is pretty good.

Maybe even an engine builder. You would make all those cool turbocharged engines and show off on Alldeaf.

Back