If you want the hearies to hear you, get involved, here is how! up to you!

dreamchaser

Reaction score
I promised some of my friends here on AD that I would look up the email addys for the 3 candidates for pres.

Many of you are posting about problems with schooling and literacy and employment issues. Also, captioning and other issues are continually being brought up here. I can only say this. You can start a change, just like they did at Gallaudet, and the Deaf President Now movement. This is an election year, and everyone wants your vote.

You will only get attention if you ALL send email to the candidates to tell them that you want to talk to them. Then you can arrange to do that and bring your problems into the spotlight. It is up to you. I have said for many years, (please don't get offended) that you have no right to complain if you don't at least try to vote and to get involved to change things.

All you have to do is go to these sites, and fill out your email addys and such, then leave a short message that says that you think the Deaf community needs help and that you want to have an opportunity to bring your problems to their attention. Just be general and say that you are worried about education or whatever without getting specific. You can get specific when you actually talk to them. Let them know that you are voters. It has to be done in mass. I am writing my own. Here are the email addresses:

IF you have enough people contacting them, they will realize that you are a viable voting block and they will fight for your attention.
Go get em!

obama.Senate.gov/contact
clinton.senate.gov/contact
mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=contact.con

Let's try to compose constructive, well-written emails that all of us can use to email them. unless you think that's a bad idea

Let's try to compose constructive, well-written emails that all of us can use to email them. unless you think that's a bad idea

That sounds good. I just sent one to Obama. Haven't had time to do the others yet this morning.

You want to sound like individuals and not like an organized attack machine. They will think someone is lying.

But, you could post a good example and let people follow the idea with their own styles. I hope that made sense.

Here is pretty much what I said:

Dear Senator Obama,

First I want to thank you for your compassion for the American people and their needs. It is desperately needed at this time in our history. I wish you good luck with your campaign.

I am writing at this time to let you know that I am worried about many issues concerning the Deaf community. One of the biggest concerns I have are over education. I am wanting to know if you would be willing to meet with some representatives of the Deaf community so we can present our concerns.

Thank you very much for your time.
Jeanie ............

Next, you get one of puter geniuses to create a web site that has a place to vote about what your concerns are. Then you get someone like Jillio to write a proposal. Then, if they start answering the emails, which will take a few weeks, if they get enough emails, you can go to your web site and let everyone know... Then you pick some people to take your concerns to them. First you need to have your concerns in writing with a viable proposal to offer,,, Example,,, BIBI programs,,, or captioning.. YOu have to let them know why you need a change, and what you want them to get behind.

IF YOU READ THIS, LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. ARE YOU FER IT OR AGAIN IT? WE NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE STANDING TOGETHER! TAKE ONE SECOND TO REPLY. OR. IF YOU ARE AGAINST IT,, SAY SO.

The caps are intended. This is important, and yes I am yelling. :O)

IF YOU READ THIS, LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. ARE YOU FER IT OR AGAIN IT? WE NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE STANDING TOGETHER! TAKE ONE SECOND TO REPLY. OR. IF YOU ARE AGAINST IT,, SAY SO.

The caps are intended. This is important, and yes I am yelling. :O)

AYE! (just say either AYE or NAY.... it sounds cooler :cool2:)

I have a hard time believing that they would actually listen AND follow up with our concerns or suggestions. I feel sad that I have grown jaded and cyncial with the politicans lately. :( Do they really care about what we need or deserve?

Since you want feed back, I agree with Jiro. We don't want to sound hysterical, or overwrought, or like we are just trying to get attention with no real goals in mind.

I have a hard time believing that they would actually listen AND follow up with our concerns or suggestions. I feel sad that I have grown jaded and cyncial with the politicans lately. :( Do they really care about what we need or deserve?

YES ABSOLUTELY! They DO listen. The biggest reason why most concerns go unanswered is because they do not communicate coherently and intelligently (I don't mean verbally). Just like what Bottesini said - "We don't want to sound hysterical, or overwrought, or like we are just trying to get attention with no real goals in mind." My professor talked about this - If you want to complain or address your concern... you need to provide documents documents documents and most importantly - you need to write coherently and succinctly.

YES ABSOLUTELY! They DO listen. The biggest reason why most concerns go unanswered is because they do not communicate coherently and intelligently (I don't mean verbally). Just like what Bottesini said - "We don't want to sound hysterical, or overwrought, or like we are just trying to get attention with no real goals in mind." My professor talked about this - If you want to complain or address your concern... you need to provide documents documents documents and most importantly - you need to write coherently and succinctly.

I absolutely agree. That is why I told you to get Jillio to write a proposal about BIBI. She is an expert and very articulate. She also has the educational titles to back her thesis.

I too am jaded because of this last administration. BUT!!!!!!!!! This opportunity may never again happen. You see, This election is goin to be so close and hard fought, that these candidates are going to try to get every vote they can. SO, even if they don't care, IF ENOUGH PEOPLE WRITE, you can get their attention. If they don't respond, then you go to the media, and say, hey, I tried to get Mccain's attention, and he is ignoring a whole community of Deaf people... (OR whoever the cadidate is).

They don't want bad publicity. As I see it, you have until November to get their promise to meet with you. They want your vote now more than ever.

BUT,,, I also believe that we have a few candidates that really aren't aware of the problems, and that they would be willing to at least see what you have to say. Once they look at your proposals, they will refer you to the proper congressional committees to write the laws. Then when it hits their desk next year, they will sign it into law. I honestly doubt that Obama knows anything about the struggles you face. I do know that he put his education to use for the poor communities and the jobless etc. So, he didn't have to do that. He could be one very rich lawyer with his genius, but he chose to serve the little people. That is on record. Why wouldn't he listen? And I believe that if he knew what the problems were, he would do what he could to help. You are fighting the ORAL only folks who are fighting with the money behind them to stop sign language in the schools etc. This can be documented.

Like I said... Put together a website. That way you can have a place to talk about stuff. Get one of your math geniuses to figure out budget type things to the best that they can. IF you want BIBI programs, go to the link about BIBI coalition and get their input. THey will get behind you with their experts. IT CAN BE DONE. It just takes a lot of voices.

What does it cost? er uh,,, well, instead of taking five minutes to read a joke thread, write a letter,,, and uh,, send an email, which won't cost you anything extra financially. Talk to your hearing friends. Use their ears when you need them. So many of us hearies want to do anything we can to help because it is just unfair for these problems to exist in America or anywhere. Some of us out here really do care, because we are humans. And ya know what,,, we could become deaf at any moment of any day. Don't be afraid to reach out for help. If you need help writing,, you have many good writers on AD.. Chase is a professor of English for goodness sake.. Half of you guys are experts with computers and web sites... You got what you need. It shouldn't take much money.. But if the time comes that you need money to send a delegation to Washington, then use your website to raise money.

Find someone you can trust to be the treasurer. Then keep immaculate records. How do you think the audiologist industries get away with cutting programs to instill programs that benefit them? They organize.

If you really wanted,, within a week you could have a million emails on the desk of all three candidates. They can't ignore that.

Remember, this is one of the hottest elections in history. This is your time.

I'll donate my webspace for this purpose as a subdomain for temporary use. Once everybody's happy with the function and design, we can launch it to its own domain address. What should site includes? some youtube interviews, some documents, a forum, what else?

BTW - what's BIBI? I thought it's bibliography but that doesn't sound right.

Bi Bi=Bilingual-Bicultural Education, It's where they teach American sign language their first language and English as their second language.

I like Total Communication Program. :wiggle:

I'll donate my webspace for this purpose as a subdomain for temporary use. Once everybody's happy with the function and design, we can launch it to its own domain address. What should site includes? some youtube interviews, some documents, a forum, what else?

How cool. Great idea about the videos. You can make your own.

BIBI= Bicultura-Biligual or sign and english with Deaf culture also being taught in mainstream schools.

What are your ideas on captioning? YOu could post discussions about whatever issues you all feel are important. The important thing is to open the dialogue with the senators. Once they recognize you as a community and voting block, they will be open to hear your issues as they come up over time.

Try to think of maybe three main issues that most people can agree on. The last thing you want to do is to take them a controversy without a majority.

IEPs are one issue. I hear that they are rarely written for the best interest of the student, and they are just trying to save money by not providing needed services.

Actually Jillio, and Shel90 are pretty well informed on these topics. They work in the eductational or psychological industries and have some very informed views of the problems.

There are so many well informed people on AD it is amazing that you haven't already organized something. But like I said, this is a prime opportunity because of the election.

The sad thing is that I am not the one to really do this because I am hearing, and I am probably not seen as somebody that knows what I am talking about,, which I don't. I am learning new stuff everyday. And the more I learn, the sicker it makes me. It is no wonder that most hearies don't get it. No one ever told me... HOw was I suppose to know. THe media makes it look like deaf issues are just fine.

Here is the link for the BIBI cohalition. Tom Humphries and Carrol Padden are really behinhd this.

<DeafBilingualCoalition.com - Home - Home> I think this will get you there.

The deaf children of hearing parents are being herded into the mainstream. So, we need to put the Deaf culture and sign language into the mainstream too. Otherwise, some of these kids never have anything but whatever oral skills they can master, and some of them can't master them very well, no matter how hard they practice.

Deaf history is not in the history books, so Deaf culture and history needs to be taught. If we don't do something, AG BELL will rule again. You know it was only about ten years ago or so that a universtity study found a gene that they said was responsible for deafness,, but to fix it would eradicate a lot of Deaf people. That is exactly what was happening back in AG Bell's days. They were actually trying to sterilize deaf people and to keep them from marrying or socializing. History could repeat itself if people don't learn from it, but how do they learn from it if it is not in the history books?

bad web design.... I'm trying to think of simple design that will deliver message across the world. What it'll include are.... facts, arguments, awareness issues, few videos, links to coalition sites, injustice news regarding mistreatment of deaf people,......

if there's anybody out there who is a graphic/visual designer... please feel free to post your sample of this project!

I just called my state representative's office, Darlene Hooley of Oregon. I asked them the proper protocol for bringing the deaf issues into the conversation. They told that I was exactly right about emailing the candidates. There will debates coming up, (a lot of deabtes) and if enough people show an interest, there could be debate between the candidates. They just want to know the heart of the issues and what you propose would be good solutions.

Now, I have done my part, and I hope that other people will care enough to send an email. God Bless,,,, Jeanie.... Still chasin the dream for a better tomorrow for all.

Bi Bi=Bilingual-Bicultural Education, It's where they teach American sign language their first language and English as their second language.

I like Total Communication Program. :wiggle:

OK, if total communication is better, then go for that. Get all of the information you can about it, and why it is not happening. What is stopping it? Is it funding? Is it somebody or some organization stopping it? What would it take to make the national goal to have total communication?

Start talking to people about their ideas. Before you know it, you will have an outline for a plan. Of course no plan is perfect at first, but proposals don't always have to have all of the answers, but a really solid foundation to work from. Most programs have to be adjusted as they grow. Just come up with a majority consensus of what you want.

I am not trying to tell you what is best for anybody. I just know that things aren't right, and they could be a lot better. IF you don't get your ideas in at the bottom level of a new administration, there may be no money left to spend.. So before they change "no child left behind", tell them where they "should be" spending the money.
:)

apathy is a dangerous thing. You might be suprised at what you may accomplish. Just look at all of the lobbiest's and the influence they have. Perhaps also pressing NAD to get involved would have some positive impact. Many great changes have come about begining with grass roots efforts such as this. If you sit on your hands then you can't complain. No offense intended.

Back