If you had the choice?

Would you get a 2nd Implant if able to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
If Insurance or NHS was not the issue, would you go for the 2nd Implant? Just curious

I definitely would, if my right ear was bad enough. But right now I'm having enough trouble getting Medicaid to cover just 1 implant haha.

ideally, if i get CI, i would like to go bilateral in 1 surgery. Not going to happen, i know. But that would be my ideal.
*EQL*

I considered going bilateral in 1 shot, but... Am I ready to give up my "good" ear? I think I'll do the left ear first, and if hearing aid in right ear turns out to not work well at all with the left CI, then maybe. But my main focus is to get the left ear going first.

My good ear already gave up. that's why I don't care if I have bilateral or not. I would take it, but it isn't important.

Right now, I'm not considering getting a second implant.

There are several reasons...
1) I'm doing great with my one CI.
2) I don't want to deal with the extra cost of keeping two sets of CIs.
3) I don't really see the benefit being THAT significant at this time.

I think I'll do the left ear first, and if hearing aid in right ear turns out to not work well at all with the left CI, then maybe
That is exactly how things should go.
I'm not eligable for CI, but if I were, I'd go the same route that CDMeggers is going.
I do think that b/c the benifit from a second one isn't as drastic as the first, that there should be stricter eligablity criteria for a second one. It would be different if a second one gave a TON of improvement. But it does seem like the bimodal vs bilateral debate really is shaping up to be not a " one size fits all" thing.

Even if insurance would cover a 2nd implant I would only consider getting a second implant if the benefit is worth going through the surgery and the extra cost of maintaining a second system.

A second implant has been discussed but I am taking my time deciding. If I decide I really would like an extra boost I might pursue a 2nd implant. I was almost hit by a car the other day because I did not hear it. The car came from the left and my left ear has the hearing aid. It kind of made me think about a second implant.

Odd.. I had medicaid and they paid for my 2nd CI surgery and all with no problems at all!

I definitely would, if my right ear was bad enough. But right now I'm having enough trouble getting Medicaid to cover just 1 implant haha.

That is exactly how things should go.
I'm not eligable for CI, but if I were, I'd go the same route that CDMeggers is going.
I do think that b/c the benifit from a second one isn't as drastic as the first, that there should be stricter eligablity criteria for a second one. It would be different if a second one gave a TON of improvement. But it does seem like the bimodal vs bilateral debate really is shaping up to be not a " one size fits all" thing.

But you don't know how much a second one would benefit you UNTIL you actually get it done

Even if insurance would cover a 2nd implant I would only consider getting a second implant if the benefit is worth going through the surgery and the extra cost of maintaining a second system.

A second implant has been discussed but I am taking my time deciding. If I decide I really would like an extra boost I might pursue a 2nd implant. I was almost hit by a car the other day because I did not hear it. The car came from the left and my left ear has the hearing aid. It kind of made me think about a second implant.

I was also almost hit by a car once like you described. my CI was on my left ear and HA on right. Even with CI I cannot hear cars on my right even in traffic

Do people really cross the street without looking? do they really depend on their ears for cars? all my life, in a country rural road and in the city, I never once got almost got hit by a car.

I was kinda surprised that they wanted to add "noise" to the new hybid car because it was too quiet. I was like, "What for? shouldn't people be using their eyes???"

Do people really cross the street without looking? do they really depend on their ears for cars? all my life, in a country rural road and in the city, I never once got almost got hit by a car.

I was kinda surprised that they wanted to add "noise" to the new hybid car because it was too quiet. I was like, "What for? shouldn't people be using their eyes???"

Of course we look before crossing!! It can happen on blind spots or weird roads....

Odd.. I had medicaid and they paid for my 2nd CI surgery and all with no problems at all!

Wyoming Medicaid is seriously warped. The kids have no problems getting their implants covered, but it's adults having problems because Medicaid has a "must have no means of communicating to make medical or personal needs known" clause for ADULTS, which has been in the Medicaid guidelines since Aug. 2003 :roll:. Buncha idiots.... but I;m gonna get through to them if it's the last thing I do.

But you don't know how much a second one would benefit you UNTIL you actually get it done
On the other hand, I thought that even AG BAD said that the maximum benifit is sound localization and ease of hearing in noise.
Lots of people can get that with a HA.
Well then again, maybe it might depend. Maybe late deafened/progressive dhh folks see more benifit (then sound localization and ease of hearing in noise) then that. After all, they had hearing before.
Liss just to clarify, I think that it should be harder but not impossible to get a second CI.
Like if someone had absolutly NO benifit whatsoever with HA, they should be able to get it NO beef.
Heck, I'll be generous and say that I think that if someone has very low speech perception with HA (like 5% and below) they could be approved for CI.
But I do think that its going to be a very indivdual thing.

Oh, and to add......If my first CI got less then 70%, I'd totally opt for a second CI. ALso, if I had severe tintinuas or recruitment.
Again, I do think that the bilateral CI decision should be very indivdual.
I do think there's a bit of " gotta have the latest technology" hype with a second CI.
Like thinking that it's ALWAYS better then bimodal. It can be for some people....but I think while bilateral will be seen somewhat, it's probaly never going to be very common.

Hybrid or one of the newer model is quieter and it is harder to hear them approaching you. The blind people have had problems with that, too because they couldn't hear them coming and they're hearing!

Lissa, does NHS offer different label of CI or just limited to one brand?

The NHS offers all brands, Cochlear, AB and Med-el

Right now, I'm not considering getting a second implant.

There are several reasons...
1) I'm doing great with my one CI.
2) I don't want to deal with the extra cost of keeping two sets of CIs.
3) I don't really see the benefit being THAT significant at this time.

I second the above reasons. I am too active to be aware of two implants at once.

Back