If you had a choice...

stephaniep21

Reaction score
If you could choose to be born hearing or to have never lost your hearing (depending on when you became deaf), would you do it, or would you remain deaf? I've heard many deaf people say that they would remain deaf because it's such a huge part of their identity and how they view the world.

GASP! Nobody has ever asked this question here before!!!!!!

Please use the search function. :ty:

It doesn't really help to look back. What if, I would have, I could have, I should have. It is not healthy to look in rearview mirror. The best thing is to live for today and move on to the future.

It doesn't really help to look back. What if, I would have, I could have, I should have. It is not healthy to look in rearview mirror. The best thing is to live for today and move on to the future.

That was beautiful. :tears:

I really never thought about this. I´m happy what I am.. that´s it.

As a kid, I obsessed and prayed about having hearing - it really occupied much of my waking thoughts. I fantasized about having wishes come true just like the fairy tales and I've gone running out into the snow crying at God, asking him to please please please let me wake up hearing.

To be psychologically held hostage by such a wish that will never come true was a miserable way to live.

Once I let all that go and stopped wishing for hearing or even thinking about what it would like to be hearing, that was when I became a much happier and more relaxed person. I do find it insensitive of hearing people to ask that question though.

As a kid, I obsessed and prayed about having hearing - it really occupied much of my waking thoughts. I fantasized about having wishes come true just like the fairy tales and I've gone running out into the snow crying at God, asking him to please please please let me wake up hearing.

To be psychologically held hostage by such a wish that will never come true was a miserable way to live.

Once I let all that go and stopped wishing for hearing or even thinking about what it would like to be hearing, that was when I became a much happier and more relaxed person. I do find it insensitive of hearing people to ask that question though.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be insensitive, my goal is to engage with the deaf community while being open minded and respectful, so I do apologize.

What if you could turbocharge that mirror? *Ducking & running away*

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be insensitive, my goal is to engage with the deaf community while being open minded and respectful, so I do apologize.

I understand. Be careful asking that question to deaf people in real life though, it's a sensitive one and could elicit some pissed off responses.

I enjoyed hearing music and birds and waves crashing into the rocks....so...if it is a "choice" yeah I would prefer to have my hearing. If not.... no biggie.

Hmm... If I am hearing, I wouldn't be who or where I am today. My personality could be very different by now. But, if I am hearing, I would be audist with no doubt... :( As for my family, they would not experience one Deaf person.

But, it is kinda of moot points... Since my life is already settled up and it is better to move on, like what dereksbicycles said.

It took me YEARS to come to terms with being deaf. Grew up in a very very superfical Stepford Wives area, and was made to feel like an utter freak. I had a canalplasty to make me hearing when I was seventeen... Guess what? It failed and it was the BEST thing in the universe to happen.
I rmemeber in 6th grade I was so excited abt the canalplasty b/c it meant NO MORE hearing aids. (I remember I thought I was the ONLY HOH kid in the universe!)
Now if given the choice between becoming deaf or hearing, I would stay deaf. It is who I am. You might as well ask if I'd like to be a male (and sometimes maybe I would) vs a female.

Was the same for me growing up. What a miserable existence that was! *shudders*

:hmm: trying to figure out why I didn't grow up like some of you say you have.....

no. i never wish i hearing, bec i grow up with deaf parent and many deaf people. so i never feel outcast and unhappy. they make me proud who i am as deaf. and taught me i same all people, except not hear. people alway ask me "you wish you can hear? bec music important in most people life. you wish you hear music" i NOT care, music not important bec i have many hobby different make me happy. not need music, it not big deal!!!

Back