If you could change captioning, what would you do to make it better?

dreamchaser

Reaction score
What needs to be done to make captioning the best it can be? And, do the laws about captioning cover the changes that need to be made?

It needs to be on all videos that are used in educational settings.

Of course, I'm biased. I'm exhausted from interpreting feature-length films, "The Magic School Bus" series, and documentaries on every subject imaginable.

In the past 10 years, I think the only film that was captioned in a classroom was Clash of the Titans.

Of course, I'm biased. I'm exhausted from interpreting feature-length films, "The Magic School Bus" series, and documentaries on every subject imaginable.

In the past 10 years, I think the only film that was captioned in a classroom was Clash of the Titans.

Geeez, that is terrible,, You are giving me carpal tunnel syndrome just thinking about it...

Does the law cover that?

Not black caption. You know movies have subtitles. I want that. So you see everything without black block whole picture.

Translucent captions would help. :) Also, I like it to be large font so I can see better.

What I would like is an electronic transcript, that can be downloaded to a braille device like an e-book.

I don't watch many movies or shows (don't even own a TV, myself) because I mis a lot of what is going on and can't read any captions, if they are there, without sticking my face in the screen.

This is probably a lot to ask for, but oh well... can't be helped.

I think all movie theaters should have closed caption provide for the deaf, I have a movie theater that provides closed caption that's two hours away from me, Who would drive two hours just to catch one movie? I wouldn't.

And for airports, it's frustrated to be unaware of what the attendants are saying, if the plane is running late, or the number of hours of delaying, A subtitles/captions should be provide for deaf. The whole point is that we all should receive same access.

Ya know, there are ways to get some changes in captioning services, maybe. I have thought of a few things, but it would take some colaboration with the Deaf captioning users. Maybe I can list an idea tomorrow when I am more awake. I just got out of school.

Hahaha... great movie! I've got that on DVD. :)

When I was in elementary school, I watched all the movies in the classroom from film reels... not VHS or anything similar.

Even better, they had captioning added to the film. :)

One movie I remember is Song of the South. I later found out it was a banned movie, I guess I was lucky to see it then.

How could I change captioning? The way my shows are captioned, I'm fine with it. :)

If you're talking about what shows should be captioned, my bigger concern would be DVDs that are made in other countries. :(

Not black caption. You know movies have subtitles. I want that. So you see everything without black block whole picture.

There is already have one called digital CC, most like are available on ATSC. Most HDTV have one, also on SDTV with ATSC support.

As for Closed Captioning, I have not had any problem with it in general. My only beef is - Whenever there is a show or a breaking news that is on LIVE air, the captioning tends to get a bit delayed. I am aware that everything is not as prompt as it is when it is live but only I would like to see improvement in that area.

Also, For instance I'd be watching a show and sometime the network "forgets" to turn it on. After few minutes of waiting, it will appear and I'm already missing the first few minutes of what was said on the television. Now, that annoys me.

I would like to be able to change the font and the size or the color of the CC to my need. I have problem seeing a small text of cc. I would like to make it bigger so I can read better. Yeah yeah I am getting old. LOL :giggle:

I would like to be able to change the font and the size or the color of the CC to my need. I have problem seeing a small text of cc. I would like to make it bigger so I can read better. Yeah yeah I am getting old. LOL :giggle:

if you have cable box, you can go to its menu to modify the cc features like size, color and type of fonts.

What I would like is an electronic transcript, that can be downloaded to a braille device like an e-book.

So would I.

Back in the 80s, they used to have a device that allowed the deafblind to read captions in Braille as long as the TV program was recorded on VHS tape. This equipment has long been discontinued and unfortunately, nothing else has taken its place.

It would be great if there was a way to connect a BrailleNote or Pac Mate (PDAs for the blind) to a TV which would allow a deafblind person to read captions in realtime. I also like an earlier poster's suggestion of larger print font for easier reading.

I'm personally rather to read in black background with white letters.

I want online video, such as tv shows and movies from iTunes and streaming movies from Netflix to be captioned.

Back