If there were a cure for hearing loss would you take it

I been hoh all my life too and this has nothing to with me happy or not ! I just would rather be able to hear and not have to deal with people when out that think I am being rude b/c I can't hear them trying pass me in a store . Some jackass almost knocked me over b/c I didn't hear him. I see nothing wrong with want to be able to hear better.
And you say it has nothing to do with you being happy or not? :hmm:

I been hoh all my life too and this has nothing to with me happy or not ! I just would rather be able to hear and not have to deal with people when out that think I am being rude b/c I can't hear them trying pass me in a store . Some jackass almost knocked me over b/c I didn't hear him. I see nothing wrong with want to be able to hear better.

No, there's nothing wrong with anything that you or anyone in this thread is expressing. I feel your pain, and we all do :( .

I'd like to see a cure for diabetes, cancer(s), alzheimer, AIDS, things like that so people do not suffer and battle the diseases no one wants.

As for me to have a cure for hearing loss... I would not mind taking it, because I have hearing family and I would still use sign. It is nice to hear the sounds that people love and enjoy such as music.

Yes it would be wonderful if we could wipe out all the diseases and zika . What a horrible disease zika is !

Yes it would be wonderful if we could wipe out all the diseases and zika . What a horrible disease zika is !

Horrible? Nobody has died of it (it's rare), the symptoms are not severe or causes disability (that we are aware of).

The biggest worry is pregnant women who will get Zika- they're still studying all of that. (not unlike Rubella some 50-60 years ago)

Apparently different ways of transmissions but it seems like zika is akin to a flu-like illness.

are you disabled?
Hi. Oh my gosh, good question. In the hearing impaired community, I think we think we can go beyond not hearing. However, yes, we are so disabled! It doesn't feel like loss of a limb, like a mental incapacity. We are ABLE in so many other ways. But we forget that compared to others, we cannot hear, and are lacking that ability!

Hi. Oh my gosh, good question. In the hearing impaired community, I think we think we can go beyond not hearing. However, yes, we are so disabled! It doesn't feel like loss of a limb, like a mental incapacity. We are ABLE in so many other ways. But we forget that compared to others, we cannot hear, and are lacking that ability!

i am Deaf. but im NOT diabled..
i understand others view themselves through a different lens.

we cant here and they for the most cant sign..
easiest way to show a hearie how disabled they are is to have them in a room of Deaf..

Thats because hearing people dont want to put up with us.Too much work for them.

Trust me, no one wants to get rid of deaf people. The vast majority of hearing people don't even think about the deaf; let alone have to "put up" with them. You don't come across deaf people every day. I'm currently thirty eight years old, and it was only this July that I noticed, for the first time in my life, someone using ASL, and that was only because I was in the lobby of a major ear clinic for my own nascent hearing loss. I have never interacted with a deaf person outside of this forum.

So it seems odd to this "hearie" - whose days as such are numbered - to see these concerns about the eradication of the deaf and their culture.

Last edited:
Trust me, no one wants to get rid of deaf people. The vast majority of hearing people don't even think about the deaf; let alone have to "put up" with them. You don't come across deaf people every day. I'm currently thirty eight years old, and it was only this July that I noticed, for the first time in my life, someone using ASL, and that was only because I was in the lobby of a major ear clinic for my own nascent hearing loss. I have never interacted with a deaf person outside of this forum.

So it seems odd to this "hearie" - whose days as such are numbered - to see these concerns about the eradication of the deaf and their culture.

are you fully hearing? i personally hate to be hard of hearing it sucks but it doesn't help me find a girlfriend

are you fully hearing? i personally hate to be hard of hearing it sucks but it doesn't help me find a girlfriend

The hearing in my left ear is normal, but I have a high frequency loss in my right ear. I've been diagnosed with Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. In my case, it consists of episodic attacks of sudden hearing loss, not unlike those that occur in Meniere's Disease.

When it comes to speaking and listening to others speak, yes, I am fully hearing in the functional sense. I just don't hear d, t, and th on the right side. I don't know how long that will last before...

NO because I had no idea how noisy the world is until I got activated. OMG...(born profoundly deaf and wore HAs but hadnt worn them in 5 years due to no insurance coverage for them). I can take it off and relax...for example, last weekend, my hubby (hearing) and I went camping. We went to Yogi Bear in PA and we were relaxing by the pool. Across from the pool was a small waterpark. I was starting to fall asleep until my hubby tapped me and said he is going back to our RV. I asked him why. He said that he cant relax because of all the kids screaming and the horn at the small water park being honked (it was LOUD) constantly by the kids. I was like, I didnt know that. He said yea...u CAN get quiet whenever you can, I CANT. LMAO....so no I dont want to be hearing. Hell no. lol

I am talking about the hearing people that do interact with deaf people. They dont want to put up with us. I get hi's at my job but when I tried to sit with my co workers during lunch...I get ignored. When I do initiate conversations, they just nod and start talking to other hearing people instead of me. What kind of message is that? I get it...

But I am happy to have the Deaf community and ASL to go to after work to get that connection with others. Grew up oral only all of my life until 25 and I was treated like the way I was treated by my co workers all of my life. No, nobody was mean but I definitely did not feel I was treated equally. It is all good. I just dont go out of my way with hearing people anymore unless they do their part.

I am talking about the hearing people that do interact with deaf people. They dont want to put up with us. I get hi's at my job but when I tried to sit with my co workers during lunch...I get ignored. When I do initiate conversations, they just nod and start talking to other hearing people instead of me. What kind of message is that? I get it...

But I am happy to have the Deaf community and ASL to go to after work to get that connection with others. Grew up oral only all of my life until 25 and I was treated like the way I was treated by my co workers all of my life. No, nobody was mean but I definitely did not feel I was treated equally. It is all good. I just dont go out of my way with hearing people anymore unless they do their part.

No doubt life is hard for deaf people. That reality will likely become painfully real for me in the next few years. I've never had the occasion to communicate with a deaf person, but you have to interact with a multitude of hearing people every day. It's frustrating in a way I can't yet imagine.

I was specifically addressing the issue of "getting rid of" deaf people. Perhaps I should have replied to the individual who originally brought that up. I apologize.

I didn't like not being about to my baby crying when I was sleeping. I didn't hear her one night but a friend did and took care of my baby for me.

Back