If Deaf never had sign language, would you hearing still want to know us??

:dunno: I know some people that were born deaf who are very social and outgoing.....I don't think the source of the differences is the level of deafness or when it was acquired. I think the difference is the result of all of our experiences. Just like everyone.

keyword - some.

that's why you :dunno:

The "some" is my point (very key word) ....you should be able to understand that if you read the entire post.

I wouldn't reply if I didn't read the entire thread first. It is you who are not understanding the profound issue of this subject and that's ok. You're still learning.

I wouldn't reply if I didn't read the entire thread first. It is you who are not understanding the profound issue of this subject and that's ok. You're still learning.

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally I think you missed the point. But then again my posts were not intended for you. So, moving on.

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally I think you missed the point. But then again my posts were not intended for you. So, moving on.

based on tone of your reply... looks like I scored a birdie. but yes... moving on to next hole.

hmmm this is a tough one... iron or driver? hmmm..... I think I'll go with my good ole' hockey stick.

based on tone of your reply... looks like I scored a birdie. but yes... moving on to next hole.

hmmm this is a tough one... iron or driver? hmmm..... I think I'll go with my good ole' hockey stick.

The tone was friendly. Enjoy! :wave:

The tone was friendly. Enjoy! :wave:
sure! :wave:

You are entitled to your opinion.
repetitive one-liner = a sign of passive-aggressive annoyance.

Personally I think you missed the point.
the usual usage of ambiguity and cryptic comment = a sign of neuroticism.

But then again my posts were not intended for you. So, moving on.
predictable avoidance reply = a sign of quorum-busting.

sure! :wave:

repetitive one-liner = a sign of passive-aggressive annoyance.

the usual usage of ambiguity and cryptic comment = a sign of neuroticism.

predictable avoidance reply = a sign of quorum-busting.

Sorry you feel that way. Not sure what that has to do with the topic though.

To be honest, I have found nothing but dirt-bags in the "hearing world" who have been from all communities and walks of life.

A wee bit of a broad insulting statement, no? I've found my share of jerks in the deaf community as well. Honestly it's statements like yours that affirms my belief that learning Sign Language would be a waste of time and money. Who wants to get to know people or belong to any group that think they're dirt bags right off the bat?

Laura

Wirelessly posted

Lau2046 said:
To be honest, I have found nothing but dirt-bags in the "hearing world" who have been from all communities and walks of life.

A wee bit of a broad insulting statement, no? I've found my share of jerks in the deaf community as well. Honestly it's statements like yours that affirms my belief that learning Sign Language would be a waste of time and money. Who wants to get to know people or belong to any group that think they're dirt bags right off the bat?

Laura

It's the many of hearing people who come to an open, friendly Deaf community, but get hit with a few barriers of protection from hurtful comments and waste of Deaf people's precious time and money, who then give up 'off the bat' instead of being the rare few hearing people, who prove themselves genuine enough in their efforts, to push past those initial barriers to become trustworthy in friendship.

You have just now perhaps categorized yourself with your own comments?

In any group or community there are going to be people who do hurtful things and are very wary of "outsiders"; in a situation where there has systematic oppression over the years of one group by another, if this kind of thing happens, it'll be more obvious.
Because of who and how I am, I go between and among groups and identities. The Deaf community where I am has ranged from tolerant to very warm, paient and welcoming.

Botti and Bebonang, I get what you mean.....

I have to say that this question outright shocked me that anyone could think that someone else would care only for what they have to offer. Then I remembered we live on Earth and some people are a little less kind than others, particularly the hearing community when it comes to the deaf community. Or the straight community to the gay community. There seems to be a pretty popular trend of people being mean to other people.

And sometimes, yes, I have that outlook of "why do you even talk to me, your kind hates my kind" because I do come from a minority group of another kind. Most of the time I keep faith in the goodness of people. Normally I don't respond to questions that are controversial cause I prefer not to hinder anyone. However, if you are actually looking for hearing opinions, I will say this: Because people speak English doesn't make me like or dislike them. They get that based on their own merit. I take everyone as an individual. We are all unique and precious in our own way. Personally, I am open minded and receptive to others who are open minded and non judgmental.

I have hearing friends and deaf friends and hard of hearing friends. While yes, I met the language before I met the people, and yes, the language was love at first sight for me... had my friends who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing not known ASL, I would still have liked them when we met. They are funny and bright and accepting of others. What more can I ask for?

Perhaps some hearing people will adore the language for a while, make some youtube signed word for word music videos, and then go find a new trend and maybe one day those "interest butterflies" will repay the community by calling upon their previous hobby in order to communicate in ASL on their job.

But that does not mean that all hearing people think the same anymore than all deaf people think the same. We are not all one for better or worse. And I believe that for some people, same as myself, the language is a doorway into one of the most accepting communities I have had the pleasure of being befriended by members of.

I only hope that the community will choose to look upon their language as that gateway, that bridge, into showing others the beauty that is the community. Those of us who choose our friends based on the individual and not upon who is handy to have around, will stay and you will find us to be loyal companions who like you for you. I'm off to bed for an 8am class, sorry if anything is grossly misspelled, I'm very tired. Goodnight all and God bless.

Last edited:
I do think the original poster has a point; there are people who can, in theory, just want to learn a language without wanting any exposure to the people who use that language...but then why learn it? I read a quote some years back, I wish I could remember who said it, but it went something similar to "Tell a person something in a language they understand, and you appeal to their interest; talk to them in their native language, and you all appeal to something deeper within them." I wanted to learn french not only because it appealed to me, but because I wanted to be able to show that I respect the french cultural heritage enough to learn to communicate with that respect.

And also, language is something that comes out of a culture and its identity. And if not sign language, some other system of communication would have developed within the deaf community. It's part of the beautiful nature of being human; we forge bonds with those similar to ourselves. And yes, whilst in the past, people have been known to be callous and cruel to those different to them, I would really hope the world has changed and matured enough to be beyond that kind of petty behavior.

I always hope that learning ASL would not just be another language to communicate, but a way to help me get to know the people who use it :)

Laura

What I meant was that I am hearing.....and just about every guy that I have dated or met, with a few exceptions have been dirt bags and bad news....I haven't met a lot of people in the deaf community...the 4 that I have were all nice...I even dated one of the deaf guys I met....we broke up mutually b/c it was a long distance relationship and we were in high school. I guess I feel like some of the deaf posters in this thread feel that we hearing people owe them something or should be punished for the bad deeds and mistakes of our ancestors. Things are not that bad for deaf people these day. ASL is a recognized language, I even know that about 10 years ago some high school were teaching it as a foreign language credit....so I'm sure some are still today. I don't like being disliked or not believed just because I can hear... its almost like "reverse prejudice"....just as some African Americans act as though we white people owe them something b/c of the fact that a long, long time ago our ancestors enslaved them, so therefore they exclude us and avoid situations with us( I'm not saying all African Americans, but some) this is "reverse racism". "Reverse Prejudice" and "Reverse Racism" are both just as bad and mean and hurtful as "Prejudice" and "Racism" are. Why can't we all just get along and accept ourselves for who we are and who GOD made us to be.

Would the study of history-DEAF interaction prior to formulation of"sign communication" be informative?

I don't believe that they , (the hearies ) love us for ASL. I've been raised HOH all my life ( now, I'm beginning to understand I'm profoundly deaf and not just hard of hearing ) and I never had ASL training although I wish I went to a deaf school and believe my life would have been richer for it. I've had alot of promblems in mainstream schools. Left out told I wasn't trying hard enough, told I hear what I want to hear , etc I'm sure alot of you understand what I'm saying ) However that wasn't the case I never know about a deaf community or schools for deaf till I was an adult.

Anyway I've had friendships and lovers and husbands, children, etc. I have to admit at times I'm sure they got frustrated as I have at communication promblems. And at times terrible misunderstanding, that can now be viewed as funny, some not so, very grave .

I believe that I was loved for me. the person that I've become.

I do like the pokemon joke cause raised the way I was always a butt of some joke I didn't understand.

Wow... as a (hearing) newbie to this site, I think I have pick the wrong thread to read first. I have been interested in ASL for most of my life (since I was 8yr) and want more than anything to be an interpreter, especially at my church as we do not anyone to sign during our services. God has laid it on my heart that it was time to "get serious" about my signing so I can communicate His love with others. I know that the Deaf culture has not had it easy and am dismayed by how they (you) have been treated in the past. I do not agree with forcing the Deaf to speak or telling them not to sign as was the practice years ago. There is nothing wrong with signing, it is a language use to communicate. If I went to Germany and wanted to befriend the Germans (or any other country) I would be expected to learn their language, not force mine on them and make them learn my language. I feel the same about the Deaf. If I want to befriend the Deaf (and I do), I am willing to learn the language. I hope not all the Deaf on this site share the same negativity that I have read in this thread, it is disheartening. I joined this site to better understand the Deaf culture and maybe even make a few friends. My stay may be short lived. I am sorry to see the stereo typing of hearing portrayed here.
I would have to agree with this. (Although I dont want to become an interpreter for a church since I don't currently have a church that i'm comfortable going to)
I'm hearing (and a newbie) too, and I'll admit, the beauty with which one speaks sign language is what initially attracted me to learning. But this thread has made that goal a bit intimidating. I don't just want to learn the language, I'm hoping to learn and then put it to actual use and become friends with people who are Deaf or HofH.

This is a tough one. Without ASL I'm not quite sure what would happen to the Deaf Culture and Community. Language is the repository of culture. I do know that my first boyfriend (profoundly deaf) would probably have spent his life in an institution as his parents and the doctors thought he was retarded until he was 7 and someone figured out he was profoundly deaf.

There have always been home signs and natural signs in deaf communities. But all too often the deaf were treated as mentally ill or mentally delayed and locked up in treatment centers for life.

Would I like a Deaf person without ASL? How could I communicate? I learned fingerspelling on my own and my boyfriend taught me ASL. Without that, I don't know what would have happened to Tom. He was a dear, sweet, and wonderful person and I didn't like him because of ASL, I learned ASL to communicate with a very wonderful person who happened to be Deaf.

And thank heavens I met him when I was 18 and got introduced to the Deaf Community because now I am going Deaf and I know I've got options. I'm not afraid, I'm relaxing into the language I probably always should have known. BTW, I sign voice off, like Tom taught me. :)

Back