If a CI person has an heart attack....

thats cool.

It's a good thing I asked my CI surgeon about ECT because if I had gone ahead with the procedure, it's obvious what would have happened as a result.

This is true.

Almost.

Defibrillation is a process in which an electronic device gives an electric shock to the heart. This helps reestablish normal contraction rhythms in a heart having dangerous arrhythmia or in cardiac arrest. In recent years small portable defibrillators have become available. These are called automated external defibrillators or AEDs.
Defibrillation

It's not only used for a stopped heart but for a heart that is beating dangerously irregular (arrhythmia).

Same on the MED-EL card it says no ECT Treatments as for the MRI we don't need the magnet removed there is special instructions for them to follow in order to do the test on our cards, some kind of head wrap.

I'll let you know if I ever had a heart attack.

Honestly, I don't think it would affect it much

There's a lot of misunderstanding about defib.

Many think that if you are sick with breathing problems caused by lung infection and your heart stops beating, defib could save their life, it won't. The problem is the lung, not the heart. Your lungs stop bringing oxygen to the brain and as a result, death occurs.

defib works ONLY if the heart is STILL electrically active. Once it stops being active, it's no longer effective. Defib simply resets the electrical system of the heart so it can beat normally. Many heart attacks often cause the heart to have some instability in electrical system and defib can help reset it BUT if the heart has a clot then it won't help since it's literally clogged that it cannot bring any more blood.

Defib only works if the heart is STILL having some electrical activity and that there's NO other factors that deprive oxygen to the brain/heart.

well im sure it will kill CI instantly. cos my audio told me that one of her patient is an electrician. he has CI implanted and few mths later he got electrocuted at his work or what ever his electrician job is. it killed his CI internal. So he has to be operated again to remove it and reinstall the new internal implant.
Also my audio said you "possibly"can get MRI only if its nessary but you will be tightly wrapped up on your head to avoid MRI machine removing the internal CI.
so that means i got to be more carefully doing any of electric items that i pull apart and repair or modified myself as a hobby. So im gonna wear rubber gloves as precauious.
yes i have my CI for 3 mths now and loving it

hotmr you have cochlear right? Cochlear and AB is safe to use MRI up to 1.5 tesla I believe BUT with the magnet removed...i've never heard of any head wrap tho

yeah i do have N5 for 3 mths now. yep thats what i read about low MRI scan.

What is ECT? Electro convulsive therapy. A short electrical "charge" applied to the temples -hopefully to "assist" patients "decrease extreme depression". Much debated procedure.
It seems to me it would affect the internal processor portion of one's Implant. I have had no experience in this regard-fortunately.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

For a long time, this has been a really emotional issue for me. Ten times out of ten, I'd rather die than have my CIs damaged. I've been working on getting one of those do not resucitate bracelets and necklaces for the exact purpose. I think it's interesting that no one feels the same. If it came to the point where I needed ECT, I'd rather opt for euthenasia as well.

I see that de-fib doesn't damage implants, which is interesting. Guess that changes my perspective a bit...

Ermm, CI can be replaced, life cannot be replaced.... I'd rather live and have CI replaced if it got damaged.

For a long time, this has been a really emotional issue for me. Ten times out of ten, I'd rather die than have my CIs damaged. I've been working on getting one of those do not resucitate bracelets and necklaces for the exact purpose. I think it's interesting that no one feels the same. If it came to the point where I needed ECT, I'd rather opt for euthenasia as well.

I see that de-fib doesn't damage implants, which is interesting. Guess that changes my perspective a bit...

umm...if you're dead your CI's have NO value what so ever so what would be the point of that...and if you needed a test you'd rather die...that's pretty silly...and the worst that would happen is your CI would need replacing and I'm sure in this case it would be covered as well...I think you need a better view on life if you're willing to throw it away because of your hearing

umm...if you're dead your CI's have NO value what so ever so what would be the point of that...and if you needed a test you'd rather die...that's pretty silly...and the worst that would happen is your CI would need replacing and I'm sure in this case it would be covered as well...I think you need a better view on life if you're willing to throw it away because of your hearing

I can sorta understand what she means tho.. The CI is a pretty wicked tool would suck if it died on ya. But ya alica your right a better outlook on life is permissable

With Cochlear Nucleus Freedom and Nucleus 5, the internal piece inside our heads has a 10-year warranty, so if the defibrillator ends up damaging the internal piece, we can always have it replaced for nothing if it is still under warranty. You also will still be alive if the doctors manages to bring you back/keep your heart beating anyways. All you'd have to do is call Cochlear and your CI surgeon afterwards and tell them what happened and it will be taken care of. This is one of the reasons the internal piece has a 10 year warranty.

What exactly is ECT again?

Electroconvulsive Therapy. It's used on some mentally ill people who can't get out of a deep depression or is out of control and needs their brain "reset", for lack of a better word. Jillio can explain more.

ummm a DNR is more than a bracelet or necklace you have to have a written form signed and i think notorized from your DR in order for it to be valid. Jewelry wont stop them from trying to save your life. And you have to carry a copy of that DNR order with you as well and it should be on file at your PCP's office and hospital too and some states require it be printed on orange or red paper. And like others said it can be replaced your life CANT. And Lucia is right the internal implant has a 10 year warrenty.

EDIT: I've served in public service as a firefighter/traffic officer for over 15 years and seen alot of stuff and it annoys me when someone thinks their life isnt worth what a CI costs.

Back