IEP help for 2nd grader

How can you make decisions that belong to your parents to make?

What decisions am I trying to make? I am just trying to find out information and help them make decisions.
Hard decisions.
I am trying to help advocate for her. Help her get sign language access in her school.
I am part of the IEP meetings. We have laywer, he is part of the IEP meetings too. We are not making the decisions. Me, my parents and laywer are requesting the school do what they should be doing. That is all.

Silversoul- it sounds like you have a lawyer who doesn't understand the basics of Sp Ed law and the needs of deaf students. You should find one who is knowledgeable and familiar with DHH needs.

Also, you don't need an attorney to file a compliance complaint. If your attorney isn't doing it, you should make a clear list of what's transpired, requests, responses, dates, who said what etc. And file it ASAP. From the information youve shared, I'd be willing to bet you'll get a successful resolution through this route. It takes up to two months though, that's why time is of the essence.

Silversoul- it sounds like you have a lawyer who doesn't understand the basics of Sp Ed law and the needs of deaf students. You should find one who is knowledgeable and familiar with DHH needs.

My lawyer is all the way from Chicago (6 hours away) he is known for being knowledgeable about Sp Ed, special needs cases. Unfortunately he doesn't have a lot of experience with HoH/Deaf. I haven't located a lawyer within 6 hours that is. :(

The next IEP meeting is in May (we just had one in November) so I have enough time to file. Thanks again. :)

My lawyer is all the way from Chicago (6 hours away) he is known for being knowledgeable about Sp Ed, special needs cases. Unfortunately he doesn't have a lot of experience with HoH/Deaf. I haven't located a lawyer within 6 hours that is. :(

The next IEP meeting is in May (we just had one in November) so I have enough time to file. Thanks again. :)

You can call an IEP meeting at any time. If you wait until just before May to file, she will have lost out on this entire year.

I strongly suggest you do what I recconended early on. File a compliance complaint yourself now, provide the district with a copy of the complaint the same day. The next day, call to set up an IEP
meeting for soon thereafter.

I'm really concerned for your sister. This really makes me mad. Please, please. File the complaint. If
you need help, or want someone to read over it I'm happy to help. Just get it on your priority list.

Edit to add: For clarification, I'm mad at the school district- not Silversoul or her family. SD like this make my blood boil.

I will check into regional dhh programs. I do not think there is much here but I will check. Thank you. :)

Check the link......That would be a good stopgap, until she's a bit older. My thinking with kids who are not near a deaf school, is that they shouldn't be solotaired. That if all possible, they should attend a regional dhh program. Are you in a rural area? ISD MIGHT be the only option.....and that might be really hard for her to board......but on the other hand she's almost in third grade

You can call an IEP meeting at any time. If you wait until just before May to file, she will have lost out on this entire year.

I strongly suggest you do what I recconended early on. File a compliance complaint yourself now, provide the district with a copy of the complaint the same day. The next day, call to set up an IEP
meeting for soon thereafter.

I'm really concerned for your sister. This really makes me mad. Please, please. File the complaint. If
you need help, or want someone to read over it I'm happy to help. Just get it on your priority list.

Edit to add: For clarification, I'm mad at the school district- not Silversoul or her family. SD like this make my blood boil.

OK I am researching day and night for this and reviewing my IEP notes to find out who said what when. I will fill out the complaint next week. Thank you so much.

I just found this:

Deaf Progressivism: How can ASL help English development? Chapter 1 (NALB)

seems like a good vlog on supporting my point. :) Can't hurt to show it at meeting anyway.

Are you guys clear on what accommodations she needs and you will request?

Can't write much now, I'll post a bit later...

I will say though, that you don't need to search for who said what, in the IEP notes. You will provide a copy of her latest signed IEP with the complaint, along with whatever other documentation you may have.

You want to stick with the main focus which is areas they are out of compliance. Primary one that I'm reading is accommodations and potentially services. That is what you need to show, with your requests and the districts response...

Can't write much now, I'll post a bit later...

I will say though, that you don't need to search for who said what, in the IEP notes. You will provide a copy of her latest signed IEP with the complaint, along with whatever other documentation you may have.

You want to stick with the main focus which is areas they are out of compliance. Primary one that I'm reading is accommodations and potentially services. That is what you need to show, with your requests and the districts response...

I thought the complaint request the information: who said what. I will check again. At work now. Thank you.

Back