I was very lucky today...

Hey, you did not mention what breed the dog was. Was it Pit Bull that tried to hurt Javier?? I ask because Pit Bulls are known to have a "locking" jaw. Most people who work with dogs will know what that means.

I've worked with dozens of pitbulls at animal shelter and I can tell you that "locking jaw" is a myth.

why most pitbull very aggressive? is coincidence?

no. the question is - why are most pitbull owners very abusive and aggressive toward pitbulls? most pitbulls I've encountered are extremely friendly and playful.

like I said before - I've worked with dozens of pitbulls and several of them were so large (because they're a mix with bigger breed) that they can easily snap my neck with ease. most of pitbulls I worked with have been abused. one of them was so terrified that he whimpered away at the corner and you can see that he was expecting to get abused.

the note stated that he is terrified of men but not women and owner abused him by throwing hot water at him. I simply stood there and waited to let him know that I'm a nice guy. Took him a while to come up to me and see that I'm just taking him out for a walk. He was running around in the enclosed area like a free willy :)

Pitbulls has been known to be one of the most family friendly dog out there, extremely loyal and playful. It's the owner that warped and twisted the dog's "morality" inside it's head.

In another word, you can pretty much screw with any intellectual life forms until it's hell bend on killing you regardless of it's genetic tendencies.

Actually the pit bulls are one of the least understood breeds. They are actually very friendly and playful as long the owner doesn't treat them in the wrongly manner. My gf's brother has one and she's very friendly. I do not know why pit bulls are targeted to be mean dogs even tho they are not. Some apartment/homes ban pit bulls and other breeds. I think it is possible that pit bulls are very sensitive dogs and become aggressive very easily if you abuse them.

Actually the pit bulls are one of the least understood breeds. They are actually very friendly and playful as long the owner doesn't treat them in the wrongly manner. My gf's brother has one and she's very friendly. I do not know why pit bulls are targeted to be mean dogs even tho they are not. Some apartment/homes ban pit bulls and other breeds. I think it is possible that pit bulls are very sensitive dogs and become aggressive very easily if you abuse them.

pitbull is a commonly chosen breed for fighting because of its desirable physical design. to go even further (and disgusting) for a "perfect fighting dog", they cut the tail and ears :(

Are you lucky enough to have a dog park near you? Dog parks usually have a special area only for small dogs. Just thinking that would be a safer place and your dog would love it.

I'm glad you're alright.

Am I the only one concerned that the behavior of these dogs may point to possible mistreatment and animal abuse by the owner?

pitbull is a commonly chosen breed for fighting because of its desirable physical design. to go even further (and disgusting) for a "perfect fighting dog", they cut the tail and ears :(

They are also obedient and loyal to a fault. That is how the scumbags are able to train them to be so vicious. They just really want to please their master that much.

(The abuse doesn't help, either!)

Jen m.

I've worked with dozens of pitbulls at animal shelter and I can tell you that "locking jaw" is a myth.

I used to volunteer at animal shelter. WE did not get many Pit Bulls at that particular shelter where I volunteered.

that true, it person fault for make pitbull aggressive. they teach pitbull fight and rough, not good manner. i was attack by pitbull 3 time before. that why i scared of them. one pitbull did bite very hard on my leg. it bleed so much and deep cut got infect. also i gotten attack by rott once. not all big dog have bad behaviors, but i still not move on about my fear and mistrust bec of experience :(

My sister got bitten in the face once (thankfully no scars) by an aggressive Rottweiler. Here's how the story went:

Mom took my sister to a drug dealer's house in 1987 and left my sister outside the front yard inside the fence and went inside. Next thing my mother heard was screaming from my sister and she ran outside, seeing the dog over my sister with his mouth on her face. Needless to say, mom took my sister away from the dog and went home.

That afternoon, dad came home and found out what happened to his daughter. Boy, he was pissed off, both at my mother and at the drug dealer. So he jumped into his pick up truck, drove out to the drug dealer's house and walked up to the fence. Right away, the dog ran barking at dad loudly and dad pulled out his gun and shot the dog point blank, instantly killing it. The drug dealer heard the gun shot and ran out the door shouting "What do YOU think you're doing!?"
Dad pointed the gun at the man saying, "That dog bit my daughter. As for you, I suggest you leave town tonight and never come back. Or I will come and I will find you."

The man left town and never came back.

Yeah I know that....what I mean that why is it so common for pit bulls to be mean while other breeds aren't common to be mean. I guess there are plenty of abusive people in the world? Scary to think about it.

why most pitbull very aggressive? is coincidence?

The answer is street breeders who either want to fight them in the pits or think owning a tough dog makes them tough. They breed them for bad tempers and encourage them to fight.

When bred for gentleness and not encouraged to fight they are one of the most mild mannered and loving breeds around.

Are you lucky enough to have a dog park near you? Dog parks usually have a special area only for small dogs. Just thinking that would be a safer place and your dog would love it.

There is a dog park not far from here but unfortunately it is not within walking distance and I would have to take a bus to get there as I do not have a car. I will go there when I can get my friend to take me there.

I'm glad you're alright.

Am I the only one concerned that the behavior of these dogs may point to possible mistreatment and animal abuse by the owner?

No. But to be honest with you, I simply have no idea how the dogs have been treated and whether they have been abused or not. But I cannot have them around me and my puppy anymore because the damage is done and they are now vicious. In most aggressive dog breeds, vicious behavior cannot be unlearned, I believe. I've no proof of this but this is just what I think. I would feel better if the dogs that bit me were sent away to an animal sanctuary, or if necessary, euthanized. There are small children living across the street from the house these dogs were living in. I'm scared to walk around in my own neighborhood. This is supposed to be one of the better neighborhoods of San Antonio. I have the right to be able to walk my puppy in a safe neighborhood, the right to feel safe. To want to be safe, to be safe. I'm sorry, but that is how I feel.

Wirelessly posted

Im happy u are okay too ,im not sure what I would do if it happend to my do..

yeah i dislike people who'd get dogs just for their own whims, be it as guard or as a jogging partner or as a pretty looking thingy to carry in their hand bags...

dogs are sentient beings, as does many animals are, not something to 'own' ( i also got a problem with the word "ownership", but anyway thats another issue).

LuciaDisturbed,

tell me how your bite wound feel now. you need go see doctor IMMEDIATELY if become red or swollen with yellow or white inside. there many bacteria in dog mouth can cause infect if bite. one time when my mom young, she have dog and one time it bite her hand hard. her hand become very swollen and she need go hospial bec infection. doctor put iv with antibiotic in her bloodstream BLOCK infect. she become very sick!!!!! careful!

dogs are sentient beings, as does many animals are, not something to 'own' ( i also got a problem with the word "ownership", but anyway thats another issue).

Right on, bro. I feel the same way. I live with 8 cats and they are just as "people" to me as human beings.

Dogs should be treated like dogs. Treating them like human just causes problems. Check out Cesar Millan for training on animal psychology. Understanding how a dog thinks allows you to become the pack leader and deal with situations like the OP experienced.

Back