I was very lucky today...

Advice noted. Thanks! I think I will begin carrying my walking cane so I will have something to bang on the ground if this happens again, just for my own protection and to ward off dogs that tries to attack me. It's metal so it can make a loud noise. Someone advised me to buy a whistle and to buy a pepper spray. Someone else also advised me to either jam my finger into the dog's eye or into the dog's anus to get the dog to back away - yuck! :shock::jaw:

yea just bang on garbage cans/mailbox/fence as loud as you can but I would advise against hitting dogs with cane cuz it would just anger them more and it may possibly put them into red zone which is definitely not what you want. just create noise louder than them and that'll just do the job. poking it in the eyes or anus is just plain damn comical. it's like trying to insert a thread thru needle while riding in roller coaster.

red zone = kill mode. a pure vicious rage. once a dog gets into red zone, the only way to stop it is to kill it or severely injure it... which is where another person will have to kick a dog in the chest as hard as he can to break his ribs or grab a bat to break his back. it's nearly impossible to effectively and safely subdue it unless you're trained in it.

oh my. glad you and javier is really OK. it must be all of a sudden for you both on a nice day. jeez. I would do the same thing what you just did by hugging javier in the air to make sure they dont bit. i am so disappointed at people who have dogs who are on loose. :( they dont realize how dangerous they could be in a law situation. jeez.. thank god you and javier is ok.

i learned something from you and jiro. if i have a dog. i think i ll need to bring some sticks in case to protect oursevles.

this why i not like most big dog, bec i have few bad experienced with them make me trauma. i do love small dog but big dog scare me. i am very happy you okay and not serious hurt. i am happy your baby not gotten bitten. this very stupid, dog owner not responsible and not know that dog dangerous??? i hope they not get dogs back. these dog need be euthanise put down sleep.

Please be aware.

People who keep vicious dogs often blame the victim when their dogs are quarantined or taken away. When our 5 and 6 year old grand children were attacked by a pit bull the dog was examined by a vet. He told us the good news was it did not have rabies. The best news was that it had parvovirus so bad that when it bit the pain it felt was excruciating.

That was the only thing saved their lives.

When the animals owners showed up on our lawn we assumed they were concerned about our grand children. Seen as they were alive and well we went out to meet them. We intended to be generously forgiving of the incident.

Bad move.

They were there to threaten our lives because of the harm we had brought on them and their dogs.

Fortunately for us the grand children understood the situation better than we did and called the cops as soon as they saw them drive up.

Not trying to scare you, just want you to be careful.

Hey, you did not mention what breed the dog was. Was it Pit Bull that tried to hurt Javier?? I ask because Pit Bulls are known to have a "locking" jaw. Most people who work with dogs will know what that means.

Hey, you did not mention what breed the dog was. Was it Pit Bull that tried to hurt Javier?? I ask because Pit Bulls are known to have a "locking" jaw. Most people who work with dogs will know what that means.

yes that right. pitbull have very strong jaw and they can kill with bite too.

Uh, never "run away" from dogs that are not yet aggressive because that will provoke the dogs to trigger their "Chase down the prey" instincts and come chasing and attacking. It's always best to walk away slowly from dogs that are not yet aggressive because regardless on how domestic they are, they still were bred from wolves and still harbor those genes inside themselves.

Regardless, glad you're safe. Do take the measures to take care of your health such as the shots and make sure the owner is held responsible.

So glad you are safe and that the other neighbors came to your rescue.

Totally agree with the advice to never run from an aggressive dog. It just sets up the prey drive. In fact, one of the ways to teach a puppy to "come" is to run away from it, making it a game! If possible, turn sideways to the dog, and back away slowly. It never hurts to say "Down," "sit," or "Away" in a very firm voice. You never know, it's possible the dog might know one of those commands, or might respond to your tone of voice.

Anyway, I'm glad you and your dog are both safe, and the police have a good record of what happened.

You need to go to Emergency room or see your Doctor STAT !! Get documentation of injuries & contact a lawyer-

Yep, I agree! When I got attacked by a pit bull from the owner's negligent in closing gate, I did that emergency, documents, soon a police should have a police report and animal control info, when u get a lawyer its not about greed or money but just the way it is sometimes when owners of animals need to take it seriously. If its happens before they can face more punishment.. and protects u in case of infection or nerve damage or weakness from the bites and also post trauma flashbacks. Once document u have 2 years to press for lawsuit. At least in CA. Hope u get better. I love dogs, but hate negligent owners. :wave:

whew.... you're safe in one piece including your dog. next time - do not run away from aggressive dogs. ever. you're basically telling them to chase you like a prey. if necesary - scream at dogs and bang on something while backing away from them but do not ever run.

Was thinking the same thing....Don't run, they will chase you!...But it's easy to panic when they are big and aggressive dogs....

Glad to know you & your puppy are ok. And as other people have advised - don't run from canines, it's just a trigger for them to give chase, like cars. When situations like this happen, stay calm and keep your wits about you, that way you'll be able to take advantage of the opportunities for resolving it.

I was also going to say "don't run", but I see several others have beat me to it. :) They are right, it does trigger a prey drive in larger dogs especially when there is more than one, and running away can make a friendly exchange turn into an aggressive and violent one. Seriously, it is entirely possible that if you had not run, the dogs may have simply sniffed you and your dog and moved on. The stupid owner is at fault for not having them contained but then we all make mistakes and leave gates open sometimes. He may be about to lose his dogs when they are not aggressive and all they did was act on instinct that YOU triggered. That doesn't make them bad dogs it just makes them regular dogs. However, it can be just as likely that they WERE aggressive and may have attacked no matter what you did. No way to really know. I just hope that guy doesn't lose his dogs just because you ran.

Next time, the best way to disable an aggressive dog that actually intends to attack (and not one that is just giving off warnings or whatever) is to punch them in the nose in sort of an upwards motion... like pretend you have pencils sticking out between your fingers while making a fist and you are trying to jam those pencils up the dog's nostrils. This will hit a sensitive part of their nose and usually make them run away.

yea just bang on garbage cans/mailbox/fence as loud as you can but I would advise against hitting dogs with cane cuz it would just anger them more and it may possibly put them into red zone which is definitely not what you want. just create noise louder than them and that'll just do the job. poking it in the eyes or anus is just plain damn comical. it's like trying to insert a thread thru needle while riding in roller coaster.

red zone = kill mode. a pure vicious rage. once a dog gets into red zone, the only way to stop it is to kill it or severely injure it... which is where another person will have to kick a dog in the chest as hard as he can to break his ribs or grab a bat to break his back. it's nearly impossible to effectively and safely subdue it unless you're trained in it.

I would never hit the dogs because I don't want to get into trouble for that. I'd bang the cane on fences, doors, anything with metal that can make loud noises that can scare the dogs away. Thank you for your wonderful advice, if you have any more advices, I would be happy to receive them so I can learn how to protect myself and my dog from being attacked or while being attacked. Yesterday was a very scary day!

Please be aware.

People who keep vicious dogs often blame the victim when their dogs are quarantined or taken away. When our 5 and 6 year old grand children were attacked by a pit bull the dog was examined by a vet. He told us the good news was it did not have rabies. The best news was that it had parvovirus so bad that when it bit the pain it felt was excruciating.

That was the only thing saved their lives.

When the animals owners showed up on our lawn we assumed they were concerned about our grand children. Seen as they were alive and well we went out to meet them. We intended to be generously forgiving of the incident.

Bad move.

They were there to threaten our lives because of the harm we had brought on them and their dogs.

Fortunately for us the grand children understood the situation better than we did and called the cops as soon as they saw them drive up.

Not trying to scare you, just want you to be careful.

Thank you for warning me. I don't live alone anymore. I have six co-ed roommates living here in our house, including my girlfriend, so I have some protection and we will be sure to call 911 if the situation escalates (gets out of control).

I know what you mean by locking jaws. My girlfriend used to have a pitbull and she explained to me what it meant yesterday.

I highly doubt it was pitbulls but I believe it was some sort of aggressive mixed blood that the dogs were. Probably rotteweiler or something like that crossed with another aggressive breed.

I consider myself and my precious puppy very lucky!

Locking jaw is a myth.

Locking jaw is a myth.

This is true. Pit Bulls do have very strong jaw muscles along with bone structure that helps with that, so it's very easy for them to maintain their hold on whatever they've got. But there is no such thing as "lock jaw" for dogs. They can let go if they really want to.

This is true. Pit Bulls do have very strong jaw muscles along with bone structure that helps with that, so it's very easy for them to maintain their hold on whatever they've got. But there is no such thing as "lock jaw" for dogs. They can let go if they really want to.

Correct. A lot of large dogs are capable of inflicting a great deal of damages upon a body on the first attempt. For instance, a former classmate of mine once told me a story about what had happened to his dog. A golden retriever attacked his dog of the same size. The golden retriever literally cracked the classmate's dog skull within the first bite. Then went on to bite several other parts of the dog's body. The dog barely survived.

I would never hit the dogs because I don't want to get into trouble for that. I'd bang the cane on fences, doors, anything with metal that can make loud noises that can scare the dogs away. Thank you for your wonderful advice, if you have any more advices, I would be happy to receive them so I can learn how to protect myself and my dog from being attacked or while being attacked. Yesterday was a very scary day!

oh believe me - nobody in their sane mind would ever criminally charge you for hitting dogs. once they hear that you had to hit them because of these angry meanie-looking dogs backing you to corner and that they're unleashed and out of gate.... the courts and officers going to come down hard on owners.... and unfortunately.. in most cases - these dogs will be taken away and possibly euthanized.

but it's not your fault. it's entirely owner's fault.

Back