I submitted this poem today for our local poetry competition, any thoughts?

Maggiesmom

Reaction score
On Deaf Ears:

A stinging silence ringing in my ears, hearing a word I thought no parent wants to hear.
DEAF-
Condemned, a cross for a child to bear.
I climbed into a hole, a world of despair.
Every sound created a pang of guilt, knowing you can't hear.
Birds, my voice, danger approaching, fear!

But then one day, watching you listen to the world blind, the storm departed.
The light still aglow.
I had finally grasped the knowledge any parent of a deaf child should know.
Little one you are not broken, nothing to mend or fix.
Pertinacious little hands, signing so quick.
You don't need ears to feel my love.
You can dance to your own music , feet stomping the ground.
You can discover it all, find all that needs to be found.
You will live life to the fullest,
Even without any sound.

J.D.B

I want to add, that I don't feel like my daughter is condemned now, but the news of her hearing paired with postpartum depression, at times, I did feel despair, I hope this hasn't offended anyone.- Maggie's mom

A stinging silence ringing in my ears, hearing a word I thought no parent wants to hear.
Awww she is so cute! She will be alright!
I see that she is wearing CI? Then she is not at silence at all.

No it's not a Ci it's actually a BAHA bone anchored hearing aid ,she was born with out a right ear at all (microtia and atresia ) and her left ear is severely deaf . She hates her BAHA it's on a headband and it's got to be relatively tight so she refuses to wear it and we don't force it on her. And thank you I completely agree in the cuteness!

@Maggiesmom is it possible to get a CI instead of BAHA?
I didn't try BAHA, so I don't know.
But CI does a lot, I have only one, it does help me when I need it.
Sometimes I'm tired of noise, then I just take it off and use signs for further communications.
My children are hearing, but they are also excited about using signs, because in this case I understand them better.

You will live life to the fullest,
Even without any sound.
She definitely will!

I am slightly embarrassed to say I don't know if a CI would work for Maggie , she's missing her ear canal and drum so I am honestly not sure , definitely something to ask the audiologist when we go back . Maggies brother and sister and learning to sign. Some days they are enthusiastic to sign and some days they aren't. I am hoping that I am fostering a desire in her siblings at least

I liked the poem and I applaud you.
You're most certainly a mother because you feel guilt.
You really shouldn't. My mom felt guilt till she passed away at the ripe old age of 92.
Hang in there.

All mutual respect aside, you should consult with docs about CI NOW. This is the time a child's brain is fertile ground for learning to process sound and language. Sound is a fabulous stimulus for brain development just like all our other senses. Naturally she will learn the language of signing and it will likely be her first "home", but in this age CI are well understood and a child will benefit more from it earlier rather than later.

I do not imply CI is the choice you should make for her, only that your choice should be well-informed and should be made NOW, not in 10 years.

And congratulations on being the lucky mom to win this girl!

I liked the poem and I applaud you.
You're most certainly a mother because you feel guilt.
You really shouldn't. My mom felt guilt till she passed away at the ripe old age of 92.
Hang in there.
Thank You, sorry for the delay in my reply , I was with out internet for a few days , I appreciate you taking the time to read my poem.

Thank you. And thank you for not judging me on not choosing CI implants :)
You are welcome. I hope you win! I have cochlear implant but I haven't wore it since 1997. I live independently. I do not have a need for it. Your daughter will be fine!

Thank you. And thank you for not judging me on not choosing CI implants :)
Beautiful poem.

I certainly don't judge you on not getting a CI. If you were recommended to get her the BAHA, clearly her Audi or ENT felt that was the best choice. Not everyone is a candidate for a CI.

Back