I really want to learn ASL.

InfamousMacBook

Reaction score
I am 25 years old and lost my hearing right before my 21st birthday. I have moderate severe loss in my right ear and absolutely no response to my left. I wear one hearing aid a Phonak Eleva. I want to go to college but, I have difficulty understanding people who are further away from me. Hopefully I can learn well enough to have a interpreter? I have Skype, Yahoo, and iPhone 4 so I can do this over video chat. I am open to new friends too. I know the alphabet and can finger spell but, how do you read finger spell? I don't know if I don't recognize the letters fast enough to make out words. If someone could teach me that first I'd be so happy and thank full.

Jennifer

Can always request for CART or some kind of a captioning service if you don't feel comfortable with an interpreter yet. Don't ever let your deafness restrict you from obtaining the education you want. There's plenty of accommodations out there.

And for learning ASL, can take classes at a local community college and attend deaf events since it's the best way of learning and becoming fluent.

True, I am just shy and not really know where to start. I haven't spoken to a college yet. I was waiting for my fiance to get out of the navy which he now has but, have been thinking of going. Hmm... I will look into things. Thank you.

True, I am just shy and not really know where to start. I haven't spoken to a college yet. I was waiting for my fiance to get out of the navy which he now has but, have been thinking of going. Hmm... I will look into things. Thank you.

contact your college's Disability Office. That's the first place to go.

It would most likely take several years of daily practice before your ASL is developed enough to use an interpreter in a classroom setting. If you want to go to college, go now and don't worry about your hearing. The school, by law, MUST accommodate you. You can get CART, Typewell, and/or notetakers.

In addition to the above - it's faster to learn ASL by immersion.

For the easier classes, why not grab an interpreter? This way you can learn some signs, and get the feel for it while you're at it.

Contact the people listed at this website:

Texas ASL Club, San Antonio Chapter

I contacted the owner of the club (Scott Bell) only to find out its a club for police officers. Apparently they have the same abbreviation. Made me laugh hilariously because what if I had gone to his house for ASL Club to find a bunch of cops. Oh well. I will work something out. I haven't decided on what college. It's been slow moving. I've just been curious on how this would all pan out. Thank you all for your good information.

Something else you might not know, and I think it is still true: As a Texas resident and deaf, you can get your college education paid for by the State.

Thank you! I have all this new info from all of you to explore more of my options. Maybe I can go to school for free to learn ASL. Seems like the easiest bet I have so far.

Last edited:
Can always request for CART or some kind of a captioning service if you don't feel comfortable with an interpreter yet. Don't ever let your deafness restrict you from obtaining the education you want. There's plenty of accommodations out there.

And for learning ASL, can take classes at a local community college and attend deaf events since it's the best way of learning and becoming fluent.

Totally off the point (sorry OP!) but the quote in your signature is something I grew up seeing! My dad has had that laminated in his office for as long as I remember and whenever we go on one of our little adventures, may it be rafting, rock climbing, hiking, cave exploring, etc) he repeats that to me. Anyway, it put a smile on my face to see it again :ty:

It would most likely take several years of daily practice before your ASL is developed enough to use an interpreter in a classroom setting. If you want to go to college, go now and don't worry about your hearing. The school, by law, MUST accommodate you. You can get CART, Typewell, and/or notetakers.

LOL! It took me one semester of learning ASL not even daily before I switched from captioning to interpreting for my classes. It's possible. :P

The fastest way to learn, OP, is to immerse yourself. What I did was I took one ASL class to get the basics, then I just hung out with deaf people as much as I could (mostly just weekends). I also watched YouTube videos and tried to figure out what they were saying. ASLpro and Lifeprint are great sites, along with others that people have already given you. Go to Deaf Chat Coffee, DPHH, Deaf Night Out, whatever they have in your area. Meet deaf people and sign as much as you can with them.

You can definitely do it, OP! If you don't feel comfortable starting your classes with interpreting, then use captioning until you feel like you could handle interpreting. Once you make the switch, you can pick it up through that.

LOL! It took me one semester of learning ASL not even daily before I switched from captioning to interpreting for my classes. It's possible. :P

The fastest way to learn, OP, is to immerse yourself. What I did was I took one ASL class to get the basics, then I just hung out with deaf people as much as I could (mostly just weekends). I also watched YouTube videos and tried to figure out what they were saying. ASLpro and Lifeprint are great sites, along with others that people have already given you. Go to Deaf Chat Coffee, DPHH, Deaf Night Out, whatever they have in your area. Meet deaf people and sign as much as you can with them.

You can definitely do it, OP! If you don't feel comfortable starting your classes with interpreting, then use captioning until you feel like you could handle interpreting. Once you make the switch, you can pick it up through that.

If I could have liked this 50 times, I would. Many reasons!

I'm proud of you.

If I could have liked this 50 times, I would. Many reasons!

I'm proud of you.

Thank you so much! :hug:

ASL and finding the Deaf community have changed my life so much--and for the better! I hope Jennifer gets the same wonderful experience I've gotten to have. OP, any updates?!

I can help you learn the ABC's and how to finger spell..

:wave:Hello, my name is summer and I have a webcam and I know the ABC's.. I am not an interpreter but do have deaf friends, and am currently looking to go to school to learn more so I can become a deaf interpreter and hopefully get a job working with the deaf and blind here in Florida.. I know how to finger spell and how to sign.. Just dont know that much ASL.. I know SEE, but most deaf ppl understand me.. I could at least get you started on the finger spelling part if you were interested.. Just let me know...

This message is for Jennifer, who is looking to learn how to finger spell and read it..

:wave:Hello, my name is summer and I have a webcam and I know the ABC's.. I am not an interpreter but do have deaf friends, and am currently looking to go to school to learn more so I can become a deaf interpreter and hopefully get a job working with the deaf and blind here in Florida.. I know how to finger spell and how to sign.. Just dont know that much ASL.. I know SEE, but most deaf ppl understand me.. I could at least get you started on the finger spelling part if you were interested.. Just let me know...

This message is for Jennifer, who is looking to learn how to finger spell and read it..

I understand your SEE and ASL I experience both ASL and SEE both I can help you! :) you want to up to your choice ASL or SEE think so your choice!I know many experience experiment :D

Back