I really love you; true ASL?

It might be easier to understand if you first form the "ILY" sign with your hand, hold it, then change the index finger into the R.

It may be easier to understand your way, but, for me, it's a lot easier to form the sign by doing the 'R' first and then the 'Y'.

I can't get my hand in the shape, I just tried it.
Maybe the tattoo illustration is misleading. It makes it appear that the ring finger is tight flat against the palm. It's supposed to be looser than that.

It might be hard to do if you have arthritis. :dunno:

Wish I could remember where I saw it, but somewhere that sign was shown as a spaceship as in a Star Wars/Star Trek fighter type.

Only the B-Wing is as unwieldy looking as that handshape!

StarWars_B_Wing_Fighter.jpg

Try this: Form the R and then stick out your thumb and pinky finger......You don't even know any form of sign language, right?

Wrong ! I did take ASL lesson in California , I had posted a number of times that I took ASL lessons . I have lived here over 30 years and I have only seen one couple using ASL. I love it when I prove someone wrong! And I tried that already . I made the R first , I just have a hard keeping my finger down that next to my pinky.

Maybe the tattoo illustration is misleading. It makes it appear that the ring finger is tight flat against the palm. It's supposed to be looser than that.

It might be hard to do if you have arthritis. :dunno:

That it what I was wondering , then I can made it with my arthritis. Plus the top of my middle finger on my right hand was sew back on and that made that finger harder doing ASL. The middle finger on my right hand is little a shorter than on my left hand.

My ASL teacher showed us a sign that is the same handshape on the dominant hand twisting rapidly beside your head. It means "grey" (colour); I think it's an Ontario regional sign.

Also I agree, this sign is the most difficult ever in ASL. I've never encountered people using this sign for the meaning stated above.

Wrong ! I did take ASL lesson in California , I had posted a number of times that I took ASL lessons . I have lived here over 30 years and I have only seen one couple using ASL. I love it when I prove someone wrong! And I tried that already . I made the R first , I just have a hard keeping my finger down that next to my pinky.

:lol: I think I shall refrain from saying the next obvious thing. You have a good day, hear?

I'm experiencing some physical issues lately that make it difficult for me to fingerspell but somehow making this sign is easy for me, with either hand.

I'm experiencing some physical issues lately that make it difficult for me to fingerspell but somehow making this sign is easy for me, with either hand.

For "really", just position your hands as far apart as you can.....:giggle:

Yes, that is what it stands for. There is also "I 'f****** love you' that is done with the middle finger up instead of the R hand shape. As with ask languages, some signs are more dialectal and regional, but I can vouch the this is common in the Midwest amongst Deaf.

It was my understanding the crossed fingers meant a best friend so I love you my best frend, but no body sign this to me, guess I have no best friend or one who hopes to be:tears:

Beautiful tattoo...and think it means..."I Love You..and hope you love me too"....hence...the fingers crossed....?...or I Love You my Best Friend...(fingers crossed?)
The fingers form the additional letters of "I" pinkie "R" Crossed index & "L" Thumb . "I really Love You"

This sign is made up using the first letters of the words 'I Really Love You." As far as it being ASL, I don't know, but I've seen it used my entire life. My grandparents & several aunts and uncles were deaf. I Love You is one of the first signs we teach our babies.

I saw this sign very rarely locally when I was a kid and more often when attending CSUN like a decade and a half ago. I’ve also seen Deaf parents using it with their kids. It’s fine and pretty well established. ILY gets used pretty casually as everything from a greeting to Deaf solidarity/support.

Back