I really love you; true ASL?

Kenliano

Reaction score
I found this image during a Google search:

i-really-love-you-asl.png

Does that sign really mean "I really love you" in ASL? That is what the picture's caption says.

:ty:

Locally, I've never seen it, perhaps it's regional.

Last edited:
It isn't awkward in the least and, yes, I think it has evolved and been accepted as meaning, "I really love you"!!

Beautiful tattoo...and think it means..."I Love You..and hope you love me too"....hence...the fingers crossed....?...or I Love You my Best Friend...(fingers crossed?)

That is a really different sign for that. I think it might meant I love or I like hopefully (like crossing your fingers). There is no you on it at all. Why would a young girl want a tattoo for this? It is definitely not ASL. (shaking my head)

That is a really different sign for that. I think it might meant I love or I like hopefully (like crossing your fingers). There is no you on it at all. Why would a young girl want a tattoo for this? It is definitely not ASL. (shaking my head)

Look again and you will see all three of the first letters: I, R, and Y......

And if you can form that sign, chances are good you don't have leprosy.

Is there a palm reader here who can interpret the lifeline?

Ha - a guy signed that to me once and I initially got upset. I read it as I love you with fingers crossed, like the way kids cross their fingers behind their back when they're telling a lie. Oops! He then explained it as "I really love you" and I was like "Oh! Good! (takes back being upset)"

I feel like there was another variation on ILY as well, but can't remember what it was at the moment.

We use that sign for "I Really Love You." That's all that I've ever seen it used for.

It might be easier to understand if you first form the "ILY" sign with your hand, hold it, then change the index finger into the R. See how the "ILY" becomes "I Really Love You."

We use that sign for "I Really Love You." That's all that I've ever seen it used for.

It might be easier to understand if you first form the "ILY" sign with your hand, hold it, then change the index finger into the R. See how the "ILY" becomes "I Really Love You."

She is correct. It was used when I was in HS among the deaf people.

Wish I could remember where I saw it, but somewhere that sign was shown as a spaceship as in a Star Wars/Star Trek fighter type.

Back