I really love you; true ASL?

Kenliano

Reaction score
I found this image during a Google search:

3e77a22419a3dbea736d638d45f751a0.jpg

Pinterest

Does that sign really mean "I really love you" in ASL? That is what the picture's caption says.

:ty:

Anij

Reaction score
Locally, I've never seen it, perhaps it's regional.

Last edited:

Tousi

Reaction score
It isn't awkward in the least and, yes, I think it has evolved and been accepted as meaning, "I really love you"!!

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Beautiful tattoo...and think it means..."I Love You..and hope you love me too"....hence...the fingers crossed....?...or I Love You my Best Friend...(fingers crossed?)

Bebonang

Reaction score
That is a really different sign for that. I think it might meant I love or I like hopefully (like crossing your fingers). There is no you on it at all. Why would a young girl want a tattoo for this? It is definitely not ASL. (shaking my head)

Tousi

Reaction score
That is a really different sign for that. I think it might meant I love or I like hopefully (like crossing your fingers). There is no you on it at all. Why would a young girl want a tattoo for this? It is definitely not ASL. (shaking my head)

Look again and you will see all three of the first letters: I, R, and Y......

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
And if you can form that sign, chances are good you don't have leprosy.

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a palm reader here who can interpret the lifeline?

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ha - a guy signed that to me once and I initially got upset. I read it as I love you with fingers crossed, like the way kids cross their fingers behind their back when they're telling a lie. Oops! He then explained it as "I really love you" and I was like "Oh! Good! (takes back being upset)"

I feel like there was another variation on ILY as well, but can't remember what it was at the moment.

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
We use that sign for "I Really Love You." That's all that I've ever seen it used for.

It might be easier to understand if you first form the "ILY" sign with your hand, hold it, then change the index finger into the R. See how the "ILY" becomes "I Really Love You."

MangaReader

Reaction score
We use that sign for "I Really Love You." That's all that I've ever seen it used for.

It might be easier to understand if you first form the "ILY" sign with your hand, hold it, then change the index finger into the R. See how the "ILY" becomes "I Really Love You."

She is correct. It was used when I was in HS among the deaf people.

Rogus

Reaction score
Wish I could remember where I saw it, but somewhere that sign was shown as a spaceship as in a Star Wars/Star Trek fighter type.