I read deafness88's posts, he can't accept his slight hearing loss :(

deafdude1

Reaction score
Let me give you some good advice. First of all, you are not deaf(not that there's anything wrong) but you are pretty much hearing! You do have a mild-moderate hearing loss at 1000-4000Hz but normal hearing in every other frequency. Your ability to understand monosyllabic word speech at 55db HL(normal converstation level) is 100% unaided! To be considered hearing or having normal hearing, unaided speech at normal converstation level loudness of 55db HL must be above 90%. You have an SRT of 25db, that is you are able to understand someone whispering! :shock: amazing!

The brain is a powerful thing. All your life you keep telling yourself you can't hear. This causes you to psychologically be unable to hear even though nothing is physically wrong with your ears. Ok so you don't hear at 0db like a dog but your hearing is still excellent by even HOH standards and you understand a full 100% speech on a difficult monosyllabic test(way harder than sentence test!)

Your life is not worthless! The deaf/Deaf on here will tell you the same thing. All of us have way, way, way worse hearing than you. Even the best HA/CI gives us only half ability to understand speech! My ability to understand monosyllabic speech is 4% vs. your 100%! You really do have it easy! There is no reason why you can't play sports, poker, have fun at clubs/bars, have many friends, be sociable, have the best job in the world, etc.

I can play sports just fine, you don't even need sounds for that! I have been to a few bars/clubs myself no problem! No one needs a million friends. A few great friends over many causal acquaintances are way better. You can have 99% of the jobs out there and I bet you could even join the army as your hearing might be good enough! Check out my audiograms, this is what it means to be deaf. Your hearing is so good!

http://deafdude1.blogspot.com/2009/08/all-my-audiograms-thus-far-with-my.html

Stem cells most likley will do nothing for your normal or near normal hearing, maybe give a 5-10db improvement at one or two of the mids. Reputable stem cell centers won't consider you a candidate for hearing loss. Id ask around if stem cells can treat your depression and suicidal tendencies because then it would be a life saver for you and worth every penny of the $30,000 cost. I am getting stem cells, but then I don't have the excellent hearing you do. I will be happy to have 25% of your hearing after stem cells! It will let me hear more sounds/speech with my powerful HAs. Feel free to ask me questions and be happy! :D

seriously, i have a hearing loss of 120 decibels in BOTH ears.. sheesh.

Whoah. Wow. :O

deafdude1 - Totally agree with you.

To deafness88: I'm 29. I have a dead left ear and a 50%-ish hearing right ear (for my whole life since I was around four years old). I've been employed non-stop for well over 10 years with no breaks in between and plenty of promotions. I have friends. I just got out of debt. I just finished my college certificate of specialization and I am now headed down an Associates Degree path. I've lead a normal life anyways with a dead left ear and a hearing aid in my right ear.

It's all about having the right attitude and telling the world "I don't give a crap about my hearing loss - I'm going to be successful anyways!!"

Don't let it get you down.

88 could mean hail hiter

then any little medical issuse is HUGE my mums forever changing boyfriends are pro white and most wont talk to me

i dont no but thats my guess

please remeber everyone handles their shit in their own way

I'm in my early 30's but born HOH (85 to 95 decibel ) both ears since birth. My hearing got worst over the years.

so yes, majority of us here are severe HOH to profound deaf but I know how upsetting to even have a slight hearing loss as my grandfather got depressed about his hearing loss due to age. His is more moderate or mild.

Come on, I have no hearing in my left ear and at a 90+ db hearing loss in my right ear, dont let your hearing loss get you down!! Your hearing could be worst!! Be grateful it is not!!

I know someone with a mild-moderate loss whom I am very jealous of. He can go without his hearing aids and still be able to catch up on a conversation. I have trouble doing so even with hearing aids. :(

You should consider yourself lucky. :) I consider myself lucky for being able to hear sounds, even if they are muffled.

Deafness88,

I'm 16 years old. And I became deaf at 3 years old. My left ear is completely dead. And my right ear has a little bit of hearing but not much. I have severe hearing loss. Which you are lucky. Even though i am in the Fall and winter drumline--as being the only deaf girl in my school and drumline, i work hard at it because i know its not going to be easy for me. But i have had alot of people helping me. I had to go through speech therapy ever since i was 4 years old after i became deaf at the age of 3 years old. My parents were afraid of me not being able to talk but here i am now, and i can talk clearly as a hearing person can but still have to work on my: "CH, SH, Zs" sounds. And sometimes i can't even follow through a converstation with my CI and HA. Because i'm still learning on how to be able to listen to a converstation. And its alot of work and struggle sometimes.

You should be proud of having just a little bit of hearing loss. to me its no big deal. All i can say is stop freaking out about it. its just a hearing loss. I mean elderly have to go through this stuff too. And we have to go through deafness whether we lose our hearing or not. I mean its not the end of the world. So, if you continue on just keep freaking out about your slight of hearing loss, thats not going to make the situation any more better if you keep thinking on negative thoughts. You have to look on the positive side to this like, i can turn off my ears anytime i want instead of listening to my nagging parents or wife, or, being able to sleep soundly at night not listening to the rain or the dogs bark or really annoying sounds at night. Even if your hearing is becoming more deaf, you have us for advice. We'll be here to help.

Cheer up! I have 95db loss, going in the downward direction, and lots more wrong but I still manage to be happy and fairly productive most of the time.

I am mostly happy and for the most part a well-adjusted person (Am So!!!) and I have a total loss in both ears.

The only problem I have is when I start to talk to myself and answer my own questions.:giggle:

I will speak the question and answer in the little ASL I have learned so far.

I am mostly happy and for the most part a well-adjusted person (Am So!!!) and I have a total loss in both ears.

The only problem I have is when I start to talk to myself and answer my own questions.:giggle:

I will speak the question and answer in the little ASL I have learned so far.

Not to do with deafness.:lol: I deny such a thing in myself.

My experience with hearing loss put me into a depression like no other. I can understand 88 " freaking" out on losing some hearing. It can be a scarey thing to go through. All you can do is see your doctors and try your best to protect what you have left, Like one poster said elderly go through this same process. Look on the bright side of things in your life and stop reflecting on the negative. I too can sleep like a baby through a hurricane.. its quite nice to be able to no worry about sounds waking me.. Get well 88 and i recomend u seeking counseling it can do a world of good to get those fristrations and anger out than to let it fester and be bottled up.

I think it all depends on what you are used to. I don't let my hearing loss get me down, but then I have always had it and don't know what normal hearing is like. I suppose it is quite different when you have something and then suddenly you don't, even if to others your loss would seem like only a minor problem.

I don't think the 'my hearing loss is greater than your hearing loss, so be grateful!' attitude is very fair or helpful to anyone.

Like I said in his thread..I think it is a personal problem that he has but he doesnt need to make it our personal problem too.

I am sure life as a hearing person is probably better but I am not crying over split milk.

I have walked in these shoes before. It is frightening, and such a big event in an adult's life. I will not go into the details on how it affected some aspects of my life. I will say this: you have to play the hand you have been dealt. You will adjust. You will survive.

djchur wrote:
I think it all depends on what you are used to. I don't let my hearing loss get me down, but then I have always had it and don't know what normal hearing is like. I suppose it is quite different when you have something and then suddenly you don't, even if to others your loss would seem like only a minor problem.

I don't think the 'my hearing loss is greater than your hearing loss, so be grateful!' attitude is very fair or helpful to anyone.

I'm very much like you - with my hearing loss I've always had it since I was a child and have no idea what normal hearing is even though I've been raised as a hearing person. I can sympathize with those that were hearing but are going through this. However, I think the point that most of us with drastic hearing losses are saying is that it could always be worse. That thinking really should be their attitude because all of this "poor me" bs is just that - unnecessary whining about a very minor thing when many of us have dealt with much greater hearing loss our whole lives and have lead very normal lives anyway - at least I have. There are more important things in life to whine about. They should be glad and grateful that whatever took out what little hearing they lost didn't kill them.

Would I love normal hearing? Sure. I wouldn't mind having a single day in my life where I can experience what it's like to be a normal hearing person with all of their five senses intact, without being forced to wear a device on my ear to communicate. But that's not going to happen. However, I'm not going to continue whining and crying about it because that's not my attitude. I'm going to live life to its fullest anyways.

Deafness88, you have to grieve the loss of normal hearing. It's important that you don't get stuck in the depressed phase. Your life will be better when you reach acceptance of your new reality. I empathize with your feelings because I had the same feelings when I went through the process. I didn't have the luxury to stay in depression because I've got kids to rear and life to live. I suspect that you're more resilient than you're giving yourself credit for.

Like I said in his thread..I think it is a personal problem that he has but he doesnt need to make it our personal problem too.

I am sure life as a hearing person is probably better but I am not crying over split milk.

You know what? Comparing my life as a hearing person to your life as a deaf person, I would not say that my life is any bit better or more fulfilled than yours.

Back