I like a deaf girl

superstar

Reaction score
Theirs this girl in my class that I like and shes deaf or hoh. I dont know what hoh means yet but im guessing its hard of hearing?. Anyway WE do make eye contact alot and smile. So one day I waited for her outside to talk to her but got kinda shy and she walked by and I proceeded to follow and get her attention and I said hi, she turned around , now Im just wondering if she heard me a little bit or if she just sensed me. So When she turned around I took out my phone and wrote her a message on my memo pad app, saying Hy my name and that I just wanted to say hi. we smiled at each other and went our own way, I did want to keep talking but I was lost in her eyes lol. Its been about a week we haven't talked but she does look at me a lot during class .. Now how do I approach her and ask her if shes single and such? Do you think shes waiting for me to go talk to her again or is she shy ? I like her and want to get to know her

Last edited:
Theirs this girl in my class that I like and shes deaf or hoh. I dont know what hoh means yet but im guessing its hard of hearing?. Anyway WE do make eye contact alot and smile. So one day I waited for her outside to talk to her but got kinda shy and she walked by and I proceeded to follow and get her attention and I said hi, she turned around , now Im just wondering if she heard me a little bit or if she just sensed me. So When she turned around I took out my phone and wrote her a message on my memo pad app, saying Hy my name and that I just wanted to say hi. we smiled at each other and went our own way, I did want to keep talking but I was lost in her eyes lol. Its been about a week we haven't talked but she does look at me a lot during class .. Now how do I approach her and ask her if shes single and such? Do you think shes waiting for me to go talk to her again or is she shy ? I like her and want to get to know her

You approach her the same way you would approach any other woman: confidently and not as a creep. The only difference, is that your method of communication is different. Have a typed/written message ready to go when you talk to her next, and don't follow her around just because you got shy when you had the opportunity to approach her the correct way. That's just creepy.

She might have some hearing left, or she wears aids. I'm HoH and wear aids, and though I might not actually hear the word "hi" if someone said it to me from behind, I might sense the sound and that it is intended for me. This girl could be same way.

You approach her the same way you would approach any other woman: confidently and not as a creep. The only difference, is that your method of communication is different. Have a typed/written message ready to go when you talk to her next, and don't follow her around just because you got shy when you had the opportunity to approach her the correct way. That's just creepy.

She might have some hearing left, or she wears aids. I'm HoH and wear aids, and though I might not actually hear the word "hi" if someone said it to me from behind, I might sense the sound and that it is intended for me. This girl could be same way.[/QU

LOL thats the thing I had that already written and when she came out I kinda stuttered and fumbled so she kinda passed me. dont think I just walked behind her like a shadow and followed her every move hahaha

LOL thats the thing I had that already written and when she came out I kinda stuttered and fumbled so she kinda passed me. dont think I just walked behind her like a shadow and followed her every move hahaha

Good, so next time just be confident and direct and establish a warm and friendly connection from the get-go. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the help.. how can I brake the ice next time I try to talk to her.. Do I just tell her I find her attractive , tell her Id like to get to know her and ask if shes single & ask for number or give her mine and tell her she can text ?

Thanks for the help.. how can I brake the ice next time I try to talk to her.. Do I just tell her I find her attractive , tell her Id like to get to know her and ask if shes single & ask for number or give her mine and tell her she can text ?

Why not try something different than just saying that you find her attractive and you want to talk to her. You think you're the only hearing boy who has tried to pull that on her? Be unique.

Why not ask if she'd like to sit with you at lunch? Or get together to study sometime.

That's a nice, safe, easy first step. Then during lunch you can get to know each other. You just ask normal things during that lunch like does she like sports, like to read, watch movies - what she enjoys doing for fun - things like that.

The most important thing is to relax because your body language will read "I'm a bit uncomfortable" if you're all strung up (which she might read as "I'm embarrassed" - and not in a good way).

While it's nice to say "I find you attractive" - it's BETTER to say "I'd really like to get to know you", espeically at first.

Hope that helps

Maybe talk about your class (something you have in common)? Maybe ask if she'd like to work on the homework with you?

Thanks these are all good topics and ideas..im the type of person that sometimes isnt the best at keeping a conversation going so this helps.. Also say we do start talkin and stitting. Do i keep talking writing on my phone or paper. I have crappy hand writing lol. I do want and am willing to learn asl and i do try to learn basics online.

thanks for the ideas. these will come to good use for sometimes its hard for me to carry a conversation . Its not that im nervous its more like I dont want to look like a fool

thanks for the ideas. these will come to good use for sometimes its hard for me to carry a conversation . Its not that im nervous its more like I dont want to look like a fool

As long as you are being your true sincere self, you wont look like a fool. It is better than trying to be someone you are not just to impress her.

Deaf girl here.

As long as you are being your true sincere self, you wont look like a fool. It is better than trying to be someone you are not just to impress her.

Deaf girl here.

Thanks, and yes I definitely will be myself .. also what I want people to understand. we only have 1 class together and I cant really talk to her in class because she has to pay attention to her interpreter and we arnt seated close to each other .. Do i just come to her after class again with what I want to say on my phone like I did when I introduced my self and said hi to her??

Thanks, and yes I definitely will be myself .. also what I want people to understand. we only have 1 class together and I cant really talk to her in class because she has to pay attention to her interpreter and we arnt seated close to each other .. Do i just come to her after class again with what I want to say on my phone like I did when I introduced my self and said hi to her??

Yes. Go up to her as soon as the teacher dismisses class. Smile, be warm and confident.

Would you like to REALLY impress her?

Go to Signing Savvy | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary or • ASL • American Sign Language and start learning some basic sentences in ASL. Learn the alphabet so you can fingerspell. You're going to need to do it anyway if you want to have any kind of future relationship with this girl.

Where is this chick? Been a while since I've seen a really really cute deaf girl my age ha.

she didnt come to class today.. havent seen her since Wednesday . I hope shes ok or didnt finish the class already lol.

Where is this chick? Been a while since I've seen a really really cute deaf girl my age ha.

lol you match first to process your step love girl then your not fast rush
because maybe you ask AD's or member i guess you ask question answer good lucky

I was wondering ... how old are you both (approximately) - are you in high school or college/university?

If you wanted to - you could write her a note saying what your name was, and that you would really like the chance to get to know her a bit - would she like to get together sometime (for lunch, studying, go for coffee/sodas someplace etc). In the note you could also give her your cell phone number if she'd like to text you, and your email address if she'd like to get in touch with you.
Make sure that you take the time to print (instead of write, espeically if your handwriting is messy) your letter, spell things correctly etc - because you want to make a good impression!
If your penmanship is truly illegible then maybe write something out on your computer at home, print it off, and sign your name (then cut it down to a "note size")

Some tips:

Make sure that if her interpreter is with her - that you ALWAYS speak directly to the girl (not her interpreter)... you'll want to stand so that she can see you and the interpreter at the same time. Don't stress about it ... but keep in mind that the girl (lets call her "Jane") will need to have a clear eye-line of the interpreter while also wanting to see you so if you stand a few feet (like 2 big steps) to the side of the interpreter, and a few feet in front, this would be "ideal". Don't sweat it though, just keep it in mind and don't stand directly in front of the interpreter ;)

I'd recommend learning the ASL alphabet which can be found on a number of different websites - my favourite site being ASLPro.com. The ASLPro website also has a really fantastic ASL dictionary, and phrase guide ... which is very helpful as well.

Don't worry about trying to learn a bunch of things at once though - I'd personally focus right now on just learning the ASL alphabet (when you spell words out using the ASL alphabet it's called "fingerspelling"). Once you know the ASL alphabet it will allow you to ask how to say various things in ASL - which is a great way to get to know each other a bit - just don't make it "20 questions of ASL" constantly because she might think you only are interested in her so she can teach you signs.

Oh - and just an FYI, most people who are hard of hearing or deaf (especially those who use ASL/other Signed Language REALLY dislike the term "hearing impaired" ... so wipe that from your vocabulary if it's something you ever use/think of be aware of that. Typically people who use "hearing impaired" are older people, who do NOT know or use Sign Language and were hearing much of their lives but have slowly lost their hearing over a number of years.
Once you've talked a bit, it's a good idea to ask if she prefers the term "hard of hearing", deaf - or something else (typically the "something else" would be "hearing impaired" but some of us hate that phrase soooo much that it makes us angry/upset to even hear/see it - hence just saying "or something else" and letting HER tell you want she prefers.

Sometimes people use both - for example:
Here I almost always write that I'm "Hoh/Deaf" ...

When I'm talking with people in person, I'll typically say that I'm "Hard of Hearing - but have no hearing at all on my right side AND I a know and use American Sign Language/ ASL ...

If I'm going into a noisy environment in which I know that I will not be able to understand (via listening/hearing) anything that is being said etc - I will say (and sign at the same time) that I am Deaf.

For some people being Hard of Hearing, or Deaf (one or the other) specifically is a major part of their identity - like being Spanish, or American, or Christian, or Muslim, or Jewish etc ... so it's important to listen to how they identify themselves and use whatever term they prefer (Hard of Hearing - abbreviated "Hoh" or Deaf/deaf).

I hope that helps a bit and wasn't toooo much information.

Don't feel overwhelmed - while she may be Hoh or Deaf, she's a person first and foremost :)

Thanks for all the info.. It really helps. Tomorrow if shes at school im gonna just talk to her after class.. I might just write her a note on my phone and let her read it and see where it goes.. If i do write it down as you said do i just give it to her and go like middle school lol or is she supost to read and respond there? Were in a class at a community college and we only have 1 class together. I hope shes in school tomorrow so i can just talk to her. It ruins my day when she dosent walk in and look at me :-(

Yes. Go up to her as soon as the teacher dismisses class. Smile, be warm and confident.

Would you like to REALLY impress her?

Go to Signing Savvy | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary or • ASL • American Sign Language and start learning some basic sentences in ASL. Learn the alphabet so you can fingerspell. You're going to need to do it anyway if you want to have any kind of future relationship with this girl.

Thanks yeah before i found this site I found signing savvy. Great site.

Back