I left the garbage disposal on for 45 minutes

I was in Home Depot last night they have a 15 minute wound spring timer switch there for 20 dollars that will replace a regular switch nicely. It is a good good quality switch rated for 20 amps. It is not with the regular switches but over in with the light fixtures. It can be set for less time and turned off when done too. Just an idea.
This sounds like a very good idea, since the garbage disposal is usually only used for a few seconds at a time.
It should be operated with a hold-down-the-button switch or a timer switch.

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

I called hubby home because I was smelling gas. The house alarm went off too which I didn't hear. I was freaking out. A neighbor calls my hubby's cel phone. He rushes home from his errands, walks in and notices the garbage disposal is running. We figure it got hot and that was the problem.

Does anyone know of a product that would make the power switch blink when it was on? If so, where do I buy one.

Thanks

Try upgrade switch for garbage disposal as "Garbage Disposal Air Switch Unit". Just press one way push/pull without ON/OFF wall switch power outlet. avoid mistake and/or forget about turn it off while you are away.

sinktop_button.jpg

STS-00.jpg

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkPjzQABqE[/ame]
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVn-Cgv0avo[/ame]

Last edited:
I had a number of plumbers tell me to always use cold water never hot water when running my garbage disposal.

Yes, I made a mistake. When I use "Pasta Boat" as seen on TV for boiling water any pasta in microwave. I pour hot water into my garbage disposal many times and then, It got leaking and small flooring. I learned some lesson about "Do and Don't list" from manual handbook about do not use hot water and grease during I installed a brand new garbage disposal.

Pasta-Boat-straining1-300x210.jpg

Yes, I made a mistake. When I use "Pasta Boat" as seen on TV for boiling water any pasta in microwave. I pour hot water into my garbage disposal many times and then, It got leaking and small flooring. I learned some lesson about "Do and Don't list" from manual handbook about do not hot use water and grease during I installed a brand new garbage disposal.

Pasta-Boat-straining1-300x210.jpg
Before I pour lots of hot water down the sink (such as for pasta), I turn on the cold water faucet, not too forcefully, to blend with the hot water from the pot, as it goes down the drain.

Before I pour lots of hot water down the sink (such as for pasta), I turn on the cold water faucet, not too forcefully, to blend with the hot water from the pot, as it goes down the drain.

I know.. I was just acting like "noob" for first time to my own cooking since I moved out as I don't want to living with parent's house.

:giggle:...know it's not funny...but it happened to me before also. I left mine on all night long...or until it completely ran out....My doggie was continuously cocking her head to one side....(she heard it but didn't know what it was that made that type of noise)....

I've also left the stove range hood vent on...until it would not work anymore....

So I just made it a point to stand by and cut them off when I'm done and not leave the kitchen. Also tied a twist-tie around my pinkie at times to remind me that I've gotten something on and will need to cut it off....

I literally leave my hand on the light switch for the garbage disposal whenever I turn it on.... that way if I leave I must turn it off.

For my deaf clients I often recommend replacing the disposal with a BATCH model as the plunger has to be in place for it to run... wall timers are also a good thing.

worse was when I didn't realize water was still running in toilet for 2 hours so I had to fix it.. blah at dad he said heh. I was like gimme a break.. ugh anyway yeah being deaf have its advantages I guess.. :)

I'm asking about the wall switch that turns the garbage disposal on. I've left it on a few times since I can't hear it.

I've looked online and didn't find anything.
There us one cause i had it years ago and now cannot find in any hardware store

I have so been here before lol. I have a setting on my apple watch that notifies me of sounds...this helps. Even if it doesn't fall under the category of sound like running water, or dog barking, it will still notify me and get my attention that something is indeed making noise. I just start putting my hands on counters and walls to figure out where the vibration is coming from till I figure it out.

My worst is the fire alarm. Mine is apparently super sensitive and goes off every time I cook. I will turn around and my daughter is fanning the smoke alarm and scolding me...I am just like...ummm What? Having no idea it was going off for the last 2 minutes

The challenges are real, but there are sound notification devices out there. I am about to get a "buzz bracelet" I will let you know how that works and if it is worth the buy if you want :)

Back