I have some questions about Gallaudet/any Deaf school

x{Kaye}x

Reaction score
I would like to transfer to Gallaudet soon, but I'm a little skeptical about my time there.

I am hearing, so will i need a voicing interpreter of some kind? (if the teacher only signs)
Are some classes taught by hearing people who talk while they're signing?

I'm afraid if I don't know what the teacher is signing, I will fall behind and be completely lost during the lecture.

Thanks in advance everyone! :wave:

wait a minute, you want to go to Gallaudet for what major?

Good question! you might ask Gallaudet's front office about that to find it out? im not Gallaudet student. I'll try to find it out around if i can.

I would like to transfer to Gallaudet soon, but I'm a little skeptical about my time there.

I am hearing, so will i need a voicing interpreter of some kind? (if the teacher only signs)

I'm afraid if I don't know what the teacher is signing, I will fall behind and be completely lost during the lecture.

Hello, I am currently gallaudet student in fifth year. I am glad to hear that you are interesting in gallaudet. I know how to be around with hearing people who like ASL and program.

I am happy to help you out if you need ask question?

from what I hear - you'll be placed in program where they'll teach you ASL

So Gallaudet admits hearing undergraduates now? News to me so I am skeptical.

Last edited:
I've been looking up Gallaudet for a while and I'm pretty sure they allow hearing undergraduates. I know of someone who went there, and she's hearing.

I want to major in American Sign Language/Interpreting.

Thanks everyone, I'm just curious on the ways of teaching. I wonder if they split up the hearing and deaf students?

Help me out matajan! =)

they have for a long while now
That's correct - I have asked plenty of questions to Tim WoodFord myself, and the hearing undergraduates are all based to these interpretering majors and sign language learning related bachelors. BUT they are very sensitive with the course, they need to ensure you have a background in ASL (know some ASL and all) however there is a possibility of ASL class.

I've been looking up Gallaudet for a while and I'm pretty sure they allow hearing undergraduates. I know of someone who went there, and she's hearing.

Thanks everyone, I'm just curious on the ways of teaching. I wonder if they split up the hearing and deaf students?

Help me out matajan! =)
I believe there is, few hearing teachers who are fluent in ASL who does the course for the hearing undergraduates.

Help me out matajan! =)

okay...sure here is offering ASL/interpreting.

It called hearing undergraduate program.

No, it will be both together.

You can send me PM i will answer.

okay...sure here is offering ASL/interpreting.

It called hearing undergraduate program.

No, it will be both together.

You can send me PM i will answer.
Dude, kaye has not reached 50 posts to get her PM enabled, you'll have to wait.

haha =) thanks guys!

And also, I've read I don't have to be fluent to be accepted. - Not that I'm not gonna work my butt off trying to be fluent!

haha =) thanks guys!

And also, I've read I don't have to be fluent to be accepted. - Not that I'm not gonna work my butt off trying to be fluent!

Really cool that you want to go to Gally--that's the best way to become fluent! Surround yourself with Deaf people, 24/7, haha. I wish I could do that. You'll be able to see how native speakers use ASL, and hopefully make yourself a better interpreter.

You don't have to be fluent to be accepted as a transfer (which is what you want to do). I stress this because as a visiting/exchange student, you must have working knowledge of ASL (what that means to Gally, I'm not totally sure). They do have a new signers program, basically like an ASL boot camp, but since you're going for the interpreting program and have some ASL background from what you've said, I don't know if you'll need that. It'll be good to look into, though.

haha =) thanks guys!

you only need to be fluent if you're going to graduate program there

Thank you natty 4ever and Jiro! You've helped me alot!

Oh, by the way! Request a brochure from them on their website. It gives you a bunch of information about Gally and a free application to transfer. If you apply before a certain deadline, you can apply totally free, no processing fee or anything. I'm looking to transfer too, so that's something I noticed. I believe RIT has a $50 fee to apply. Gally would probably be better for interpreting though.

^^ Maybe we'll run into each other at Gallaudet! I can't seem to find a brochure I can get in the mail. I'd have to go there and get one. Either way, I still want to visit the school. =)

^^ Maybe we'll run into each other at Gallaudet! I can't seem to find a brochure I can get in the mail. I'd have to go there and get one. Either way, I still want to visit the school. =)

watch out for matajan

Back