I have SO many questions...

Good morning Adamsmomma -

Are you familiar with the visual system of Cued Speech for literacy for deaf/hoh children? National Cued Speech Association

This is a system of 8 hand shapes(consonants) and 4 hand placements (vowels), along with mouth shapes, that visually provide access to all of the sounds (phonemes) words in English, through vision.

There is a site We Cue! - Discussion on how to live, learn, and work using Cued Speech , where you can talk to parents that cue with their children. Another option to explore this unique literacy tool with families who have chosen to cue is: Cued Speech Discovery Home Page

I would be happy to answer any question that you may have. :)

First, let me congratulate you on your son. You have embarked on an amazing journey as a parent, and especially since he's deaf. A new world is open to you and him. It won't be easy, but it will be rewarding.

Like Shel90, I'm a certified teacher of deaf and hard of hearing children...I've taught every grade level, from preschool to 12th grade. I'm currently an English/Language Arts teacher at a residental school for the deaf.
As a parent myself and as an educator, my heart goes out to you. You are having to face some critical decisions which must be made...and the complications of this process is compounded by the fact that none of the "experts" agree on what's best for a child with hearing loss. And they disagree on everything, from how your child should communicate, which language he should use, and even what's the best way to teach reading.

And what should you do? One group is saying one thing and the other is saying another.

I asked my mother a few years ago about all of this and she said something that really answered it for me.

A mother should go with her gut...and do what she thinks is the best...and be consistent. Be flexible. Be open-minded and listen to what people are saying, but with care and caution.

He is deaf, which means he cannot acquire language through natural means of hearing the words around him. Therefore, he needs to be shown. The question that no one is able to answer is...can language be taught...or must it be naturally acquired? Since we don't know the answer, I say do both...allow natural acquistion of language and teach it whenever possible.

Check out the Laurent Clerc Education website for excellent resources.

Thank you!! You're right it's been an amazing journey already... he really has taught ME a lot...

I'm going to check out that website!! THANK YOU for the info!!! I do notice there is a lot of 'conflicting-confusing' imformation out there- and I'm only being exposed personally to one side of it at school... and thanks for encouraging me to 'go with my gut'... I'm looking for a signing teacher for both of us!! His school is WONDERFUL as far as helping me w/his other issues and helping keep an eye on his little ears~ but they are biased on which way to teach him-- and I honestly believe he needs more!!

Again Thank you!!!

He needs to be exposed to literature (picture books) as much as possible. Point at pictures, say and sign/gesture about the pictures and encourage him to do so...and while you're doing this, maintain eye contact a lot during "reading" to keep him looking at you for information, and make real world connection to the text. For example, bring a book about animals to the zoo...and point out the picture of an animal and then to the actual animal so he can make that connection. There are books about food..take those to the grocery store. They also have realistic pictures which are stickers...put those stickers on cardstock paper and have him match it to something in the environment. Maybe a couch with a couch. You also can make pictures with your digital camera of things around the house. Don't forget to make books about family members and label them.

This is an EXCELLENT idea!!! THANKS!!!!! (gotta get to the bookstore!! and load up on more books!!)

Are you familiar with the visual system of Cued Speech for literacy for deaf/hoh children? National Cued Speech Association

This is a system of 8 hand shapes(consonants) and 4 hand placements (vowels), along with mouth shapes, that visually provide access to all of the sounds (phonemes) words in English, through vision.

There is a site We Cue! - Discussion on how to live, learn, and work using Cued Speech , where you can talk to parents that cue with their children. Another option to explore this unique literacy tool with families who have chosen to cue is: Cued Speech Discovery Home Page

I would be happy to answer any question that you may have. :)

I recently ran across a youtube video of Cued Speech and the website-- of course I know nothing about it-- so I asked his SLT and got the 'why in the world would you do anything but verbal' look... then she said there were very few practictioners in our state-- so I just sort of left that alone...

I've never seen Cued Speech in action and I dont' quiet grasp the concept of it... but like I said it was something I breifly skimmed over...

Thank you for the info-- that's one more option to consider... but let me ask.. how common IS cued speech?? would he be able to use it in Elementary school and such??

Welcome to Holland! :)

There is a poem/essay named "Welcome to Holland" that I recommend you read--I am sure you can google it--have tissue ready!! I am also a hearing mother of a deaf child--been there, done that. I SOOO know what you are going through! My daughter was diagnosed with a moderate to severe hearing loss a few months after her first birthday--now, she will be 15 in September and will begin high school in the fall. Those early days are full of a lot of confusion--I remember it well! For those of us who have had no contact with deafness until our child is diagnosed--well, it IS like entering a whole new world that we never even thought about visiting. There will be a lot of "professionals" giving you advice on what is the "right" thing to do--take it all in with "a grain of salt"--weigh it all, see how it applies to YOUR child, weigh it again and again, prepare to adjust and change your feelings and approaches as your child grows, and just follow your child's lead once they begin communicating and exploring the world of language(s). A lot of people who "recommend" certain things may not really know YOUR child--but YOU do! The absolute truth is: NO ONE KNOWS YOUR CHILD AS WELL AS YOU DO, AND NO ONE CAN MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION ABOUT HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD MORE THAN YOU CAN! But don't let that scare you and intimidate you--it is like everything else in parenting: people agree and people disagree about HOW to raise children--YOU have to "go with your gut" and "follow your child's lead"--YOU will make the RIGHT decisions for YOUR child based on HOW it works for you and your child--NOT based on "theories" or "beliefs" of others. In easier terms: Relax, and go with the flow! :)

I can tell you how things went with MY daughter--they MAY or MAY NOT go in a similar fashion with your son--as long as you give him your ALL and you do everything you can to build good communication with him, everything will be fine. Some people will say: just talk, talk, talk with him--if he has good hearing with hearing aids, he may pick up on oral language just fine(my daughter did, but SHE has really good hearing with digital hearing aids--not everyone does). Some people will say: sign, sign, sign to build a good language/communication base(my daughter learned some signs at first, but she VOLUNTARILY began dropping them in favor of speech as her spoken vocabulary grew--once she began talking and communicating through speech, she didn't feel that she needed to sign(lived in hearing/speaking environment where no one else knew much sign either)--but NOW, she wants to learn sign because she wants to go to high school with other deaf teenagers(some sign, some don't) and she is beginning to build a pretty good language base through sign(though her first language will always be spoken English and ASL(or signed English?) will be a second language). It worked for HER--she HEARS well with digital hearing aids--she learned to HEAR and SPEAK because she has ACCESS to spoken language--but this is not the case for everyone. Some people have a more profound hearing loss--hearing aids may not allow them to hear speech well enough--some DO learn by lipreading, but it is MUCH harder if you cannot HEAR(access through hearing aids REALLY makes a HUGE difference)--and, then there are cochlear implants that CAN allow SOME people with profound deafness to HEAR speech well enough(but not ALL!). The key to many things here is this: SOME but NOT ALL--every single child is very unique and they have individual needs that have to be met--there is NOT one answer that applies to ALL deaf children because there is such a HUGE range of differences between them.

Since you are brand new to "Holland," I want to welcome you and let you know that it will be a WONDERFUL journey--not an easy one, but a VERY special and blessed one! :) As you enter this new world with your child, it would be GREAT to expose him to as much language as possible--both spoken AND sign--yes, language immersion is a GREAT idea! Babies/toddlers are like little sponges--they will take it all in! :) If your son is hearing well with hearing aids, he may be getting a lot of great exposure to spoken language--like all kids, they listen a long time, and suddenly they begin imitating what they hear. You will learn more about WHAT he is hearing with his hearing aids through various audiological testing--at some point, they may tell you that he is hearing "within the speech banana" with them, or they may say that he is NOT hearing much speech with them--if they are helping him to hear, things will probably progress well with his speech development. If hearing aids aren't really helping him, then they will probably present you with decisions such as: cochlear implants and therapy to help him hear with CIs--OR they may present you with the option to focus more on developing sign language with him if he isn't hearing well enough to develop spoken language. Basically, begin able to HEAR is really a key factor in learning SPOKEN language--if he can HEAR WELL with hearing aids or with cochlear implants, then his spoken language MIGHT CAN develop well(my daughter did GREAT with digital hearing aids--some kids do GREAT with cochlear implants). As to whether or not to develop sign language as a primary language--that is also dependent upon your son's individual needs--it certainly would be a good thing to begin building a sign language base--if he continues to develop ASL, then that is a good thing--if he begins building a good spoken language base and prefers to talk more than sign, it's HIS choice(and he may decide to continue signing even if he DOES speak well)--or he may do as my daughter did(some sign, then spoken language, then sign later in life). Yes, the idea of having BOTH languages is a good thing--being able to "fit in" in BOTH the hearing world and deaf world is certainly an advantage--more people to know and love! :) Just give him lots of love and attention--keep immersing him in LOTS of language(both spoken and sign)--and most of all, HAVE FUN! :) Toddlers are full of energy--I LOVE to watch them discover the world around them! :)

From one mother who has been there to another who is just entering the front gates:WELCOME! :)

There is a poem/essay named "Welcome to Holland" that I recommend you read--I am sure you can google it--have tissue ready!! I am also a hearing mother of a deaf child--been there, done that. I SOOO know what you are going through! My daughter was diagnosed with a moderate to severe hearing loss a few months after her first birthday--now, she will be 15 in September and will begin high school in the fall. Those early days are full of a lot of confusion--I remember it well! For those of us who have had no contact with deafness until our child is diagnosed--well, it IS like entering a whole new world that we never even thought about visiting. There will be a lot of "professionals" giving you advice on what is the "right" thing to do--take it all in with "a grain of salt"--weigh it all, see how it applies to YOUR child, weigh it again and again, prepare to adjust and change your feelings and approaches as your child grows, and just follow your child's lead once they begin communicating and exploring the world of language(s). A lot of people who "recommend" certain things may not really know YOUR child--but YOU do! The absolute truth is: NO ONE KNOWS YOUR CHILD AS WELL AS YOU DO, AND NO ONE CAN MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION ABOUT HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD MORE THAN YOU CAN! But don't let that scare you and intimidate you--it is like everything else in parenting: people agree and people disagree about HOW to raise children--YOU have to "go with your gut" and "follow your child's lead"--YOU will make the RIGHT decisions for YOUR child based on HOW it works for you and your child--NOT based on "theories" or "beliefs" of others. In easier terms: Relax, and go with the flow! :)

I can tell you how things went with MY daughter--they MAY or MAY NOT go in a similar fashion with your son--as long as you give him your ALL and you do everything you can to build good communication with him, everything will be fine. Some people will say: just talk, talk, talk with him--if he has good hearing with hearing aids, he may pick up on oral language just fine(my daughter did, but SHE has really good hearing with digital hearing aids--not everyone does). Some people will say: sign, sign, sign to build a good language/communication base(my daughter learned some signs at first, but she VOLUNTARILY began dropping them in favor of speech as her spoken vocabulary grew--once she began talking and communicating through speech, she didn't feel that she needed to sign(lived in hearing/speaking environment where no one else knew much sign either)--but NOW, she wants to learn sign because she wants to go to high school with other deaf teenagers(some sign, some don't) and she is beginning to build a pretty good language base through sign(though her first language will always be spoken English and ASL(or signed English?) will be a second language). It worked for HER--she HEARS well with digital hearing aids--she learned to HEAR and SPEAK because she has ACCESS to spoken language--but this is not the case for everyone. Some people have a more profound hearing loss--hearing aids may not allow them to hear speech well enough--some DO learn by lipreading, but it is MUCH harder if you cannot HEAR(access through hearing aids REALLY makes a HUGE difference)--and, then there are cochlear implants that CAN allow SOME people with profound deafness to HEAR speech well enough(but not ALL!). The key to many things here is this: SOME but NOT ALL--every single child is very unique and they have individual needs that have to be met--there is NOT one answer that applies to ALL deaf children because there is such a HUGE range of differences between them.

Since you are brand new to "Holland," I want to welcome you and let you know that it will be a WONDERFUL journey--not an easy one, but a VERY special and blessed one! :) As you enter this new world with your child, it would be GREAT to expose him to as much language as possible--both spoken AND sign--yes, language immersion is a GREAT idea! Babies/toddlers are like little sponges--they will take it all in! :) If your son is hearing well with hearing aids, he may be getting a lot of great exposure to spoken language--like all kids, they listen a long time, and suddenly they begin imitating what they hear. You will learn more about WHAT he is hearing with his hearing aids through various audiological testing--at some point, they may tell you that he is hearing "within the speech banana" with them, or they may say that he is NOT hearing much speech with them--if they are helping him to hear, things will probably progress well with his speech development. If hearing aids aren't really helping him, then they will probably present you with decisions such as: cochlear implants and therapy to help him hear with CIs--OR they may present you with the option to focus more on developing sign language with him if he isn't hearing well enough to develop spoken language. Basically, begin able to HEAR is really a key factor in learning SPOKEN language--if he can HEAR WELL with hearing aids or with cochlear implants, then his spoken language MIGHT CAN develop well(my daughter did GREAT with digital hearing aids--some kids do GREAT with cochlear implants). As to whether or not to develop sign language as a primary language--that is also dependent upon your son's individual needs--it certainly would be a good thing to begin building a sign language base--if he continues to develop ASL, then that is a good thing--if he begins building a good spoken language base and prefers to talk more than sign, it's HIS choice(and he may decide to continue signing even if he DOES speak well)--or he may do as my daughter did(some sign, then spoken language, then sign later in life). Yes, the idea of having BOTH languages is a good thing--being able to "fit in" in BOTH the hearing world and deaf world is certainly an advantage--more people to know and love! :) Just give him lots of love and attention--keep immersing him in LOTS of language(both spoken and sign)--and most of all, HAVE FUN! :) Toddlers are full of energy--I LOVE to watch them discover the world around them! :)

From one mother who has been there to another who is just entering the front gates:WELCOME! :)

Deborah (that's my mom's name! how cool!) THANK YOU for the welcome and the understanding- first hand none the less!!

I have read that poem and man does it ever make you cry!! My aunt sent it to me when we first learned of Adam's hearing loss~ and I had read it when I worked w/a downs toddler... Adam is very much my Holland :) :)

Well they 'tell me' w/his hearing aids on he still has a mild loss in his right ear and no response in his left-- but I'm not sure how accurate that is b/c there's a visual aid to the test- and he's very visually aware and I think that distracts him... so until he can say... "I hear this or I hear that" I guess I'm left to wonder, ya know?

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
We found out Chris was HOH Nov 2007. Since then I have taught him over 300 sign words. I noticed he had no interest in learning till I added the sign words. It took 3-5 days for him to learn his colors. All we did was do the sign as I pointed to the colors. I'm not sure with reading. Chris is 4 and will be attending a Deaf ed class next year. I have had to fight my way through it cause everyone doesn't want him to learn ASL because he has the ability to be verable. but I have noticed he is more verbal when it's put with signs. I just point to whatever it is that the sign matches for him to see this sign means table.I am also taken ASL classes starting in April. You have to stand strong and do what you believe is the best for your child. Don't let anyone tell you different. He is your son and deserves the best. You are his voice stand up for him.

Well I have been looking into sooo many different things, all things that have been suggested here~~ a LOT to learn and research!!!

I'm trying to get us signed up for some sign language classes (for both of us)~~ and he's just in the past couple of days started making more speech sounds-- so maybe the combo of both will lead to something he can learn with :) (He does mimick my cadence when I 'sing song' Momma to him... but it comes out Baaba-- but the 'melody' is the same as what I'm giving him-- just sounds like a little kid w/a bad stuffed up nose! LOL-- plus when he does it he touches me or leans into me, so I KNOW what he's implying. Honestly I won't be upset if he doesn't say anything else~~ I just wanted to hear him call me momma or something like it!!)

We're going to the store this weekend to get books!!! LOTS of picture books!!! Now to learn the signs for everything!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the wonderful info I'm getting!!! This isnt going to be easy-- it's raising a child after all, not brainsurgery :D but I now feel like it's doable!!!

:hug: :ty:

my son is 4 and still has never said mom or mommy or anything of that sort. He does the sign though but I've never heard it from him. Maybe for my birthday next month :D

my son is 4 and still has never said mom or mommy or anything of that sort. He does the sign though but I've never heard it from him. Maybe for my birthday next month :D

I'd been happy w/signing it too... but so far, no signs :( Except-- 'get me!' I'll just say I cried when I figured out he was mimicking me! it was the sweet way he rubbed my arm that I knew what he meant!

I'd been happy w/signing it too... but so far, no signs :( Except-- 'get me!' I'll just say I cried when I figured out he was mimicking me! it was the sweet way he rubbed my arm that I knew what he meant!

My son is hearing...he didnt start signing nor talking until around 2 to 2 and half. Now, he is 3 and half and fluent in both...he can keep both language separate. :) Your son is still very young...important u keep providing full access to language.

Hello! I am also a mother to a Deaf child. My daughter is Miss Kat and she is 5 1/2. She was born hearing but began losing it after 12 months old due to ototoxic medication and birth trauma caused by malpractice. At 18 months we discovered her hearing loss. It was "moderate" (about 60 db). She received her aids and started wearing them, and she loved them. We also began using ASL.

Over the next year and a half she gained hundreds of signs. She knew her colors and some numbers and letters before she started preschool at age 3. When she went to preschool we sent her to a bilingual bicultural school for the Deaf. Bi-bi schools are voice off ASL enviroments. It is not signing and talking, that is TC. She has done very well at the bi-bi school. She is learning tons and her ASL is amazing.

Over the last two years she has lost a ton of hearing. She became severe-profound last April. She received a cochlear implant in Nov. Since her implantation her spoken language has exploded too! She never had great access to speech with her hearing aids (for whatever reason) but the CI has changed that! She is UNDERSTANDING speech now, and we have decided to take this opportunity and shift our emphasis to spoken language. That by no means means that we will be dropping ASL, but we will now focus on her becoming bilingual and bimodal.

If you would like to see Miss Kat talking and signing check out my blog:Miss Kat's Deaf journey
They are subtitled for the signing impaired.

As for your original question about reading....I don't have an answer. The people at my daughter's school simply tell me that they use sight words and that is all they have to say about it, but she is only in Kindergarten. They are also working on phonics and phonetic awareness with her, but only her.

So, after a long post, my advice...SIGN! People ask me "why isn't my child signing as much as yours?" and my reply is always "If your child isn't signing enough, it means you aren't signing enough"! As for long term literacy and school choice....I have no advice at this point. Just focus on getting the language in at this age. The rest is later!

Hello! I am also a mother to a Deaf child. My daughter is Miss Kat and she is 5 1/2. She was born hearing but began losing it after 12 months old due to ototoxic medication and birth trauma caused by malpractice. At 18 months we discovered her hearing loss. It was "moderate" (about 60 db). She received her aids and started wearing them, and she loved them. We also began using ASL.

Over the next year and a half she gained hundreds of signs. She knew her colors and some numbers and letters before she started preschool at age 3. When she went to preschool we sent her to a bilingual bicultural school for the Deaf. Bi-bi schools are voice off ASL enviroments. It is not signing and talking, that is TC. She has done very well at the bi-bi school. She is learning tons and her ASL is amazing.

Over the last two years she has lost a ton of hearing. She became severe-profound last April. She received a cochlear implant in Nov. Since her implantation her spoken language has exploded too! She never had great access to speech with her hearing aids (for whatever reason) but the CI has changed that! She is UNDERSTANDING speech now, and we have decided to take this opportunity and shift our emphasis to spoken language. That by no means means that we will be dropping ASL, but we will now focus on her becoming bilingual and bimodal.

If you would like to see Miss Kat talking and signing check out my blog:Miss Kat's Deaf journey
They are subtitled for the signing impaired.

As for your original question about reading....I don't have an answer. The people at my daughter's school simply tell me that they use sight words and that is all they have to say about it, but she is only in Kindergarten. They are also working on phonics and phonetic awareness with her, but only her.

So, after a long post, my advice...SIGN! People ask me "why isn't my child signing as much as yours?" and my reply is always "If your child isn't signing enough, it means you aren't signing enough"! As for long term literacy and school choice....I have no advice at this point. Just focus on getting the language in at this age. The rest is later!

I can't wait to read her blog!!! THANK YOU for the info!! I've been learning a few more signs this week- ones that relate to his daily routine-- so hopefully he'll catch on soon~~ it's possible b/c of how he lost his hearing that what is in his Right will get worse--it's already gone from a Mild loss at his first ABR to a Moderate six months later- I hadn't even thought about that! So I really think he'll benefit from signing more!!

It is important to realize that by using CS, you are providing access to the sounds (phonemes) of spoken English. This is not ASL and really shouldn't be compared to it. :)

By providing this access visually to the consonant and vowel combination's of speech, the child is provided complete access to the entire word, as you say it/read it.

CS or sometimes referred to as Cued English, Cued Language or Cuem, can/is used for the language of the family, in your case I believe that is English??

How may people use CS? This question always interests me. WHY? Cueing develops the foundation for the language of English. How many people use English?

Just as there are interpreters for ASL in the school system, there are Cued Speech Translitorators. They are called translitorators because they are not interpreting what is being said and changing it from English to ASL and vs versa, BUT delivering the entire language as they are being spoken, that language being English.

How does this skill transfer to print? It transfers because it is the sounds of the letters, not the name of the letter and not the shape of the letter.

For example the letter "a' makes three distinct sounds in English, and three different mouth shapes. The system of CS shows these sounds visually through the mouth shape and the hand placement for the vowel sound.

You ultimately know what your child needs. ASL is ASL. English is English.

Wishing you the best on your journey.:wave:

You can find more information about Cued Speech (CS) on that Laurent Clerc website I had referred to earlier.

Do realize that CS transliterators are far and few...before you decide this option (if you do) make sure you will have the services and resources in your area. Many deaf education specialist do not have CS skills or background knowledge of it since it is not a popular method.

Also, CS was NOT intended for language acquistion...it is a tool for literacy.

and Fair Jour - your blog was very interesting! And your daughter is beautiful.

Keep up the good, hard work! :)

You can find more information about Cued Speech (CS) on that Laurent Clerc website I had referred to earlier.

Do realize that CS transliterators are far and few...before you decide this option (if you do) make sure you will have the services and resources in your area. Many deaf education specialist do not have CS skills or background knowledge of it since it is not a popular method.

Also, CS was NOT intended for language acquistion...it is a tool for literacy.

Excellent points deafbajagal! However, I must say this:

A person must first have complete access to language, and aquire the language, to be literate in the said language. CS is not aquisition of language on the leaners part via speech production of the language learner. IE: the child

If one chooses to use English in the home with their child, which is the first place language can and does occurs, they (the parents) become the teachers/translitorators of English. Indeed, at this moment there may or may not be a certified CST in the city/town that you live in, just as there may or may not be an certified ASL/SEE interpretor.

I totally get where you are coming from.. I have a set of twins- one deaf & one hearing. My deaf son learned how to read using phonics and sounds and my hearing son learned how to read by sight and the old Dick and Jane books. He too, has CAPD, and could not read AT ALL using phonics. It took a long time for my hearing son to catch up to his brother in terms of reading comprehnsion and the ability to read. Just my 2 cents!

I totally get where you are coming from.. I have a set of twins- one deaf & one hearing. My deaf son learned how to read using phonics and sounds and my hearing son learned how to read by sight and the old Dick and Jane books. He too, has CAPD, and could not read AT ALL using phonics. It took a long time for my hearing son to catch up to his brother in terms of reading comprehnsion and the ability to read. Just my 2 cents!

WOW twins!!! My hat is off to you!!

Sort of ironic how your boys learned... wish we had known early on that my brother was CAPD- but the schools testing never showed anything-- finally took him to a private dr. but he was already a teenager by the time we got it all figured out... he would have done better sight reading...

Back