I have a question...

I couldnt use 'quote' for this because all this is connected...so here goes;

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
(funny my auto correct change audist to sucker). Denial!
Lol, that funny. Mine says audits or sucks with auto spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
Thanks for the replies! One of the things I really enjoy about ASL is how you can say so much with fewer "words" than with spoken language.

My own personal theory as to why I'm blunt (as a deaf person who didn't grow up with ASL or deaf community) is because I hate it when people beat around the bush or talk forever to make a point...maybe because lipreading is not that easy to do so if someone talked for an hour to make a simple point, I get impatient. I remember in advanced writing class, the teacher told us one of the golden rules of writing is to trim down the number of words one uses to make a statement and she would give us samples of writing that we had to rewrite using as few words as possible to say the same thing and wishing people would apply that same rule when it comes to talking.
I hate that too. My mum always on on on before she finally get to point. I'm like WHY didn't you say that in 1st place???

You see, i like to add that, hearing people likes to word out 'clever words or string them out clever' and oftentimes forgets we, d/Deaf cant hear it like they do, all the quip, wit and slywits whatnots, afterall they are trying to be Smart (not to us) just their habits in the hearing culture, wit, well meaning they wanted to share us their forms of wits but it 'falls on deaf ears' so to speak Literally!, and Pun intended~! not in a funny way haha funny in the pun but yah that's what happens - and OFTEN , strangely we dont hardly ever notice it, then we often as we do as d/Deaf people shrug it off simply as 'never heard it or talk too fast' , lots of bits of truths in there

sorry im not really typing as writing im typing as 'speaking' because i couldnt bother wasting my precious brains energy for the essay which im on NOW....

hmm
BTW Great thread , LOVE it !!

Yay for NSAD!!! Used to play in those tournaments and I grew up playing for hearing leagues, hearing schools, and hearing colleges...those hearing softball events are NOTHING like the sense of community belonging like NSAD has. Hearing people or deaf people (notice no capitalization on the "d") do not really understand that.

Honesty is the best policy. It does bother the people who are accustomed to sugarcoated opinions. Bluntness is a concept they are unfamiliar with. Often, the deaf are blunt and don't think twice before stating their opinions. I don't sugarcoat my opinions and I don't modify them to please anyone.

People who have dealt with me know this is true.

Holy smokes that it *SO* true!

I *SO* so wish that the world was just made up of Deaf people sometimes. Then I wouldn't offend several times a week with my natural instinct to be blunt, and speak the truth, as opposed to translating it to comfortable bullshit for hearies.:roll:

I understand I notice it pretty serious reason austim, I know my opinio I heard it speech I am notice it seems pretty lots of opinion I think so negative on cruel on something attack! I remember deaf youth and CYCL teach me I know aware it is it very serious big on austim is very risk I know!

I don't think audist is intrinsically negative. It is simply a term that describes a way of thinking and perceiving. Hearing perspective means the same thing.:dunno2: It only becomes a negative if that way of thinking is causing you harm. It doesn't cause harm to the the person who thinks as an audist does, so it is not negative in that application.

Nor is it really even negative when used to describe the negative effects it has had on the D/deaf. It is still just a description of a way of thought and action. It indicates a difference in the way that someone who is hearing and aurally auditorily based perceives the world and the way they approach what they perceive as a problem.

There is no value judgement inherent in the term "audism". That has to be inserted by the person who is interpreting the word's effect. But the effect on someone is not necessarily correlated to the meaning.

I found this thread and notice that it overlaps with the thread I created a few days ago (my thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/94254-difference-between-audism-racism.html)

Basically I'm confused by how the word "audism" is being used. Jillio here is saying that it's not a negative judgmental label, but I have always thought it was. For example, here's Tom Humphries original definition:
The notion that one is superior based on one's ability to hear or behave in the manner of one who hears. (Humphries 1977)​

There is a difference between believing that we are different and equal, or believing that we are different and I'm/you're superior. There's nothing wrong in being different (I'm deaf, you're hearing), but it is wrong to believe that you're a superior human being because of your difference (e.g. ability to hear, colour of skin).

Maybe we need two words. One to describe the discriminatory superior attitude of hearing people, and another to describe how hearing shapes a person's way of thinking and perceiving ("hearing perspective"?). It's inevitable that hearing shapes the way a person thinks & perceives the world, but it's not inevitable that a person will always believe they're superior because they're hearing. After all, aren't you an example of this jillio?

**nodding** And many parents in that position don't realize that their kids understand they did their best and don't blame them. But the parent blames themselves, and instead of dealing with it and just saying 'I'm sorry" they get defensive and the relationship gets even worse.

That's why I haven't broken the news to my family yet (except for my twin sister who is SO supportive) that I am embracing Deaf and leaving Audism behind. Even if I were to mention it, I'm not sure if they would believe me that I know they did their best and I don't blame them for how I was raised.

what a coincidence, i actually Wrote an email to the Doctor (senior lecturer) at the university explaining im going to bring a print out of my draft of essay because im a visual person ie im Deaf...etc its hard to talk about essay (interpreters are Hard to get) but im also trying to organise this too...
but yah I AGREE!
im a VISUALIST too LOL

we, Deaf people have pictures in the minds about all sorts of things, ways we process 'understandings'..well im getting there, i suspect i was all along but due to hard pressure in the hearing world nearly pushed it out, not so, im keeping what i knew how to 'explain to myself what ever so and so is and so on...
:rockon:

A couple times I was asked to give a briefing at work to other employees on how to use a particular application. Maybe that's why I insisted on having my laptop connected to the projector with the application running for my briefing. Yay for Visualists!

I was at Market Basket with my hearing dog Finlay and there was couple there talking about my dog. Finlay wore a gentle leader and the woman asked the guy what was around my dog mouth and the guy said he bite! I could NOT hear what the couple was saying I was reading their lips the whole time! I did not like guy saying out loud my dog bite , so I told the guy my dog has gentle leader on and does not bite, and that you should be careful about what you say as I can read lips! The guy and woman faces got bright red! It really ticked me off that couple was going on about dog having no idea what they where talking about!

I hate that my disability is so invisible especially when I use my service dog. For those that may misinterpret the above sentence, this is how you should read it. I hate that my scoliosis (which causes me to get short-of-breath) and my inner-ear disequilibrium is invisible when I use my mobility (and hearing) service dog to correct balance. All it looks like is that I am pulling on the harness as if trying to get Leah to "get a move on". People think that I am training Leah (although technically she IS my self-trained service dog with guidance from a dog trainer) and when I inform them that she is MY service dog, they all of a sudden lose all interest in speaking with me. I feel like saying, "It's not contagious people."

I found this thread and notice that it overlaps with the thread I created a few days ago (my thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/94254-difference-between-audism-racism.html)

Basically I'm confused by how the word "audism" is being used. Jillio here is saying that it's not a negative judgmental label, but I have always thought it was. For example, here's Tom Humphries original definition:
The notion that one is superior based on one's ability to hear or behave in the manner of one who hears. (Humphries 1977)​

There is a difference between believing that we are different and equal, or believing that we are different and I'm/you're superior. There's nothing wrong in being different (I'm deaf, you're hearing), but it is wrong to believe that you're a superior human being because of your difference (e.g. ability to hear, colour of skin).

Maybe we need two words. One to describe the discriminatory superior attitude of hearing people, and another to describe how hearing shapes a person's way of thinking and perceiving ("hearing perspective"?). It's inevitable that hearing shapes the way a person thinks & perceives the world, but it's not inevitable that a person will always believe they're superior because they're hearing. After all, aren't you an example of this jillio?

Exactly. Audism cannot be avoided when one is raised in a hearing world by hearing parents. There are so many beliefs and attitudes that are never articulated, but are acted on in an unconscious way. For instance, where is the initial contact sought when a hearing parent discovers their child is deaf? First line of contact is an individual that can do something to correct that absence of sound perception. No one first turns to the Deaf community, myself included. My first line of contact was an audiologist, and an orally based IE program. Only after that approach did not make sense in light of a deaf child's way of perceiving did I begin to examine how my initial decisions were very much grounded in audism, in an unconscious belief that to NOT hear was inferior to hearing. Did I believe that my son was inferior as a human being because he could not hear? No. Did I belief that to hear was preferable, as a state of being, to NOT hearing? Absolutely. And any hearing parent that states any differently is either deceiving themselves or are still in such shock as to be incapable of taking an honest look at what is going on with them. Correcting the audist beliefs that had been instilled through nothing more than being a hearing person in a hearing society takes work. It takes constant self appraisal to see where those attitudes are popping up without intent. One does not simply become a parent to a deaf child and automatically become non-audist. In fact, most remain terribly audist because they cannot make an honest appraisal of themselves.

Exactly. Audism cannot be avoided when one is raised in a hearing world by hearing parents. There are so many beliefs and attitudes that are never articulated, but are acted on in an unconscious way. For instance, where is the initial contact sought when a hearing parent discovers their child is deaf? First line of contact is an individual that can do something to correct that absence of sound perception. No one first turns to the Deaf community, myself included. My first line of contact was an audiologist, and an orally based IE program. Only after that approach did not make sense in light of a deaf child's way of perceiving did I begin to examine how my initial decisions were very much grounded in audism, in an unconscious belief that to NOT hear was inferior to hearing. Did I believe that my son was inferior as a human being because he could not hear? No. Did I belief that to hear was preferable, as a state of being, to NOT hearing? Absolutely. And any hearing parent that states any differently is either deceiving themselves or are still in such shock as to be incapable of taking an honest look at what is going on with them. Correcting the audist beliefs that had been instilled through nothing more than being a hearing person in a hearing society takes work. It takes constant self appraisal to see where those attitudes are popping up without intent. One does not simply become a parent to a deaf child and automatically become non-audist. In fact, most remain terribly audist because they cannot make an honest appraisal of themselves.

I see what you're saying here jillio. Audism is more than consciously thinking I am superior to a deaf person, or having an explicit belief that the hearing way is best. It covers those unconscious (or unexamined) beliefs, behaviours and attitudes that rest on the idea that hearing is superior to not hearing. So one can be audist without intending to be.

I see what you're saying here jillio. Audism is more than consciously thinking I am superior to a deaf person, or having an explicit belief that the hearing way is best. It covers those unconscious (or unexamined) beliefs, behaviours and attitudes that rest on the idea that hearing is superior to not hearing. So one can be audist without intending to be.

The key words here are "unexamined beliefs." When I get into one of my "helpful" modes, the folk around me become highly uncomfortable. :giggle:

There are those who actually feel threatened or stupid rather than helped when corrected, so of course assumptions and worse will start to trade off one another until the affected person establishes a "feel good" retort to make up for their shortcomings.Let them learn the hard way if they refuse to listen to alternatives.

I had struggled for many years when I was young. I had fought with my mother (very rarely do I saw my father) and the mainstream schools wanting me to go through the oral-only method. Like AJWSmith said that hearing is superior. Mainstream schools thought that I am hard of hearing but I am not. I am deaf. I do have hearing aid but it only provide environment sounds. I can not pick up words if they expect me to listen and to lipread (I don't like to lipread). What I don't understand and being so perplexed that they refuse to listen to me like looking down on me and say that Mother knows best for me. She did not know me at all. I had tried to tell her but no avail. Now they are gone and rest in peace years ago.

I was lucky to learn to sign at 20 years old and be involved in the Deaf Community. I was very happy with that. My shoulder were being lifted and I felt so relieve that I can expressed freely and happily with the Deaf people. Being involved in the hearing society is really hard to deal with and the society don't understand about us being deaf or hard of hearing. That is why the hearing people are audists when they don't understand our plight of being frustrations in doing their ways instead our ways. I am glad I vent that out. I need a job without phone and appreciate my work if they let me get a chance to prove to them that I am not stupid and can do the work. Thank you for reading this. **sigh** :(

Bebonang, you said you learned sign language when you were 20 years old. How long did it take to become "fluent"? I'm wondering because I've been trying to learn sign, but there are so many signs I think it will take me a very long time to be able to communicate well with deaf.

I learn oral languages quickly, but my brain seems to not be able to pick up ASL quickly. This was a very interesting discovery for me.

Bebonang, you said you learned sign language when you were 20 years old. How long did it take to become "fluent"? I'm wondering because I've been trying to learn sign, but there are so many signs I think it will take me a very long time to be able to communicate well with deaf.

I learn oral languages quickly, but my brain seems to not be able to pick up ASL quickly. This was a very interesting discovery for me.

When you learn how to sign in the ASL class but then you need to be in the Deaf event so that you can communicate with the Deaf people. You can learn to sign very rapidly and become fluent that way. If you have not met the Deaf people, then yes, it will be a long time for you to learn to sign ASL. You got to go out and meet Deaf people. Don't be afraid to be in their group. Being in the Deaf community is wonderful. I love them very much. I feel so much at home than my parents' home. :cool2:

Thank you, Bebonang.

Are there many deaf Native Americans where you live, or are most of the people in your Deaf community white? It doesn't matter, I'm just curious if you have lots of Native people to sign with.

Back