I have 2 new medically diagnosed disorders

hohDougRN

Reaction score
Im pretty say- but just another part of life. I just spent 3 weeks at the University Psychiatric Institute. It was a very very diffiecult admission. I have been here for 3 straight weeks. Its good to be out finally. Allthough I could use any support by those of you whom suffer frm Bipolar disorder or ADHD. Im having severe reservations of competently completeing my employment with my newly diagnosed problems :(

Im pretty say- but just another part of life. I just spent 3 weeks at the University Psychiatric Institute. It was a very very diffiecult admission. I have been here for 3 straight weeks. Its good to be out finally. Allthough I could use any support by those of you whom suffer frm Bipolar disorder or ADHD. Im having severe reservations of competently completeing my employment with my newly diagnosed problems :(

Doug welcome back! I do not have any experience in those disorders but I wanted to drop a line and give you a hug.. We are all here for you :hug:

My first ex has bipolar disorder so I know how to help you out.. *MUST TAKE MEDS!* He refuse to take meds :(

I hope you dont take this personal... I just want to ask you one question.. How you get bipolar disorder? Is it from your genetic or what?

Hear Again has bipolar, im sure she'd be able to help you. But she wont be back for a while

I hope you feel better soon

Sorry to hear about your recent experiences. I struggled with...depression...I guess...for years and years. I was SO depressed about my hearing problem. But, I am not, now. I got dx'ed with Asperger's a few months ago. There is no one medication that can make it go away. Only stuff to treat the symptoms. I hope that you will not think any less of yourself and your professional competence. Please keep on truckin' with your job!:wave:

My first ex has bipolar disorder so I know how to help you out.. *MUST TAKE MEDS!* He refuse to take meds :(

I hope you dont take this personal... I just want to ask you one question.. How you get bipolar disorder? Is it from your genetic or what?

Who knows....I feel I have had biplor tendencies for years along with ADHD. Yeah, I've got a lot of new meds to take and plan on taking them appropriately. I want to be stable so I may have a professional life once again.

I don't know if it a genetic thing, but I have been told that many patients who develop Bipolor, develop the symptoms in the 20's years. Mental illness runs in my family though, having an uncle that suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.

Sorry to hear about your recent experiences. I struggled with...depression...I guess...for years and years. I was SO depressed about my hearing problem. But, I am not, now. I got dx'ed with Asperger's a few months ago. There is no one medication that can make it go away. Only stuff to treat the symptoms. I hope that you will not think any less of yourself and your professional competence. Please keep on truckin' with your job!:wave:

Thank you for your thoughs. I will treat this mental illness as same as another physical illness or disease. Im sure I'll be back on top again professionally.

I hope one day in future, advances in stem cell research there will be advanced ways to treat aspergers :)

Hey Doug,

I just want to say I'm sorry... even though I do not have those disorders, I just want to say that we ADers will support you. You're not alone, we will all help out for you.

Hey Doug,

I also have bipolar disorder and ADD (I'm not hyperactive). It can be challenging to live with, but you can go on to have a successful life. However, someone already said it above and I can't stress this more, myself. YOU MUST take your medication!

As for continuing your career, if you have reservations, I would discuss it with your psychiatrist. In theory, there isn't a reason that I can think of that would preclude you from continuing, but that may be something that is up to you and your psych. You can PM Jillio as she is trained in the field, if you have questions of a more clinical nature.

Good luck, Doug!

Welcome back. :)

I hope all goes well for you.

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, I'm curious on how can Psychiatrists be so sure that you have bipolar disorder and ADHD, Doug? What type of testing do they do in order to know for sure? Do they ask you personal questions to ruled out the possibilities or do they run tests? Since you spend three weeks there. ;)

Oh wow, Doug... hope everything will be alright with ya... and I am sure ya can manage your meds for the bipolar and ADHD disorders...

:wave:welcome back to you, Doug...while I don't have ADD/ADHD, I do have LD, so while not same, I can understand challenges! Don't know if it would be of help but CHAAD <name -Children and Adults with Hyperactivity/Attention Deficit Disorder> has many chapters.

Best Wishes!!

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, I'm curious on how can Psychiatrists be so sure that you have bipolar disorder and ADHD, Doug? What type of testing do they do in order to know for sure? Do they ask you personal questions to ruled out the possibilities or do they run tests? Since you spend three weeks there. ;)

All of the above. They conduct interviews with the person and base their diagnosis on personal history. When I was diagnosed, I was also giving tests to take that measured various scores in mood and function. Most of the time, the diagnosis is made by observation and personal history, though. It's not uncommon for it to take many years for an accurate diagnosis to be made.

Welcome back Doug. I wish good luck to you for your future. :)

Welcome back, Doug. I just want to assure you that there is no reason that you should worry about competently performing your job with these disorders. As I'm sure you already know, Bi-Polar Disorder is best controlled using a combination of meds and therapy. ADHD is effectively controlled with meds, often, when dx'ed in kids, therapy is crucial in modifying behaviors. With adults, it varies. But as long as you adhere to your treatment plan, there is no reason at all that you should not be able to competently perform your job duties.

After all, you have been holding down your job before dx and tx. It should actually become much, much easier for you with tx. And I am telling you this from a professional perspective. If you would like to discuss any specifics privately, please feel free to PM me.

All of the above. They conduct interviews with the person and base their diagnosis on personal history. When I was diagnosed, I was also giving tests to take that measured various scores in mood and function. Most of the time, the diagnosis is made by observation and personal history, though. It's not uncommon for it to take many years for an accurate diagnosis to be made.

Okay, the reason I was asking because my son may possibly have ADHD and was recommended to have him evaluated such as testing being done by the doctor to rule out lead poisoning, blood sugar and thyroid problems which are medical disorder that can have similar symptoms to ADHD. His blood test turned out fine. My son appeared to have some difficulties in school, I wasn't so concerned back then because I thought he was just a kid being a kid, but then I was struggling in trying to get him back on track with his grades as he had some much trouble focusing. Then his teacher had send notes home frequently commented about his inattention and disruptive behavior in the classroom, then I noticed that he can't seem to sit still nor pay attention when doing homework with him. Recently in the begin of March or so he was moved into a new classroom, and he intends to stay out of trouble, but he's still having problems focusing and doing his school work. He does have good days and bad days. And yes he is currently seeing a Psychiatrist he only met her twice, and she's real nice, the testing of evaluation isn't completed yet, until his teacher send in the papers that she was asked to fill out and return to his Psychiatrist. I'm paying for this, because I want to help him with whatever he has. ;)

Hey sweetie *Hugs* I just want to let you know that I have ADHD and so does my husband, and completely understand what it is like to have it and live with it. If you ever need to talk, I'm here. As for BiPolar,I have a family member who has it. As someone else said, please, please, please take your meds. You will be much better with them. I promise you can still have a happy life with these things. It is possible. I don't have both, but I am a happy person as a rule and I have ADHD. You can still do the things you want to do with your work. I've read your posts before, and I know your career is important to you. Don't give up. You can still do this.

Back