I hate when I can't find my hearing Aide!!

runner6771

Reaction score
I have a system where I keep my hearing aides and cochlear implant. Nothing makes me as crazy as when I can't find them. The cost to replace them is insane. The even bigger immediate problem is I can't hear without them.
What usually is the case is that after wearing my hearing aide for what ever I put it in my pocket in the house and at some point it falls on the carpet. I of course can't hear it fall. Each time I eventually find it but I end up looking around ever single piece of furniture and shoving my hand inside the back of my sofa and chairs till I am nuts.
Am I the only one this happens too? I haven't heard anyone talk about this. I guess the other problem I have is that I really don't know any deaf people really well.
Just curious if anyone ever looses their aides and how they deal with it.
C

My daughter (21) recently lost one of hers after she put it in a pocket. Unfortunately she wasn't at home. She & her boyfriend went back to where they were to look for it but did not find it. She has tiny BTE's.

Someone I knew once 'lost' her hearing aid when she put it in her shirt pocket, forgot it was there.. she did the laundry. Wasn't until after the wash cycle was done she found the hearing aid in the washing machine.

I nearly lost my hearing aids on a water ride years ago. Shoved them into my shorts pocket. They fell out sometime during the ride... Lucky I noticed right after we got off the ride and found them on the floor of the 'raft'. Yeah..wet...it took a while for them to dry out.

It does happen...but with the cost of HA's, I'd make sure (even tho' I don't wear a HA) I put it in a specific place every time I took it off....No bones about it.

Same thing with my expensive ear rings...lost so many in the shower.

Same with RR, I make no bones about always putting it in the same place. I have 4 cats, 2 dogs, can't trust them to not treat these thousands-of-dollars HAs as toys.

I totally understand the situation if you are away from home (like at the amusement park, etc.,) but if you're at home, you should get in the habit of putting it away in the same, secure place so it never gets lost.

Keep the HA's or your processor in you ears or on your head until it's time to go to bed and then take them off and put them in a drying jar or HA dryer. Doing this will save you from having to find them all the time. Your lucky you don't have animals because if you did, they probably would of chewed them up or eaten them by now.

*kind of goofy thoughts today*...know that dogs hearing is superior to humans...and a big doggie swallowing an HA whole?....Probably jump out of its skin every time it burped or growled, even barked....:giggle:

*kind of goofy thoughts today*...know that dogs hearing is superior to humans...and a big doggie swallowing an HA whole?....Probably jump out of its skin every time it burped or growled, even barked....:giggle:

Hee hee.

I have a system where I keep my hearing aides and cochlear implant. Nothing makes me as crazy as when I can't find them. The cost to replace them is insane. The even bigger immediate problem is I can't hear without them.
What usually is the case is that after wearing my hearing aide for what ever I put it in my pocket in the house and at some point it falls on the carpet. I of course can't hear it fall. Each time I eventually find it but I end up looking around ever single piece of furniture and shoving my hand inside the back of my sofa and chairs till I am nuts.
Am I the only one this happens too? I haven't heard anyone talk about this. I guess the other problem I have is that I really don't know any deaf people really well.
Just curious if anyone ever looses their aides and how they deal with it.
C

drives me to insanity I know exactly how you feel.
icon8.gif
..I read about something called a LO8ER I looking into it see if something like this will help me....
if I had hippopotamus in the house would still misplace that....you not on your own
icon14.gif

The cost to replace mine is more than insane. At home, I keep mine in the Global II storage box with Dry-Brik II desiccant. When I go out I have three different sizes of boxes I can safely use to carry mine. They are all hard shell with padding and a foam liner. Depending upon the box, my aids boxes will slip into a shirt, pants, dress, sweater, or jacket pocket, a purse or a larger container.

For me to leave for more than an hour I need to pack for a world tour. Long ago I purchased a heavy paper bag with handle from the grocer. In it is a large covered box that is always packed with necessities such as sun glasses, batteries, and a storage box for my aids. It doesn't take too long to finish 'packing'.

is it possible get them insured?it do make going out like route march

Same with RR, I make no bones about always putting it in the same place. I have 4 cats, 2 dogs, can't trust them to not treat these thousands-of-dollars HAs as toys.

I totally understand the situation if you are away from home (like at the amusement park, etc.,) but if you're at home, you should get in the habit of putting it away in the same, secure place so it never gets lost.

I took my HA off when I was taking a nap and left it on the coffee table, when I woke up it was gone! I looked everywhere for , Finlay had taken it off the table and laid it on his blanket . He was keeping an eye on my HA while I slept. And there was not teeth marks on it. My a good hearing dog he was. :aw:

I haven't lost my implants yet. Hearing aids I have misplaced at times but I always found it (was always somewhere in my apartment).

I read in a blog, a parent's daughter would stick her CIs on a magnetic board for safekeeping haha. I thought that was a good idea.

I haven't lost my implants yet. Hearing aids I have misplaced at times but I always found it (was always somewhere in my apartment).

I read in a blog, a parent's daughter would stick her CIs on a magnetic board for safekeeping haha. I thought that was a good idea.

I don't have a CI but from reading of others have decided my house could be either a problem or FUN. It is completely steel except for the porch that was enclosed later to make a foyer. I would just have to keep track of which wall it was stuck to.

As for hearing aid I have two places that I put it depending on which end of the house I am at when I want to take it off.

I do not know why...but my kids were fascinated with mine and ending up losing them...luckily the VA replaced them without cost... I then put a hook in the wall way out of their reach to keep them... while I can no long use them they are still there...not sure what to do with them...

Sent from my SGH-T399N using AllDeaf App mobile app

I know woman who do got a hold of her HA and bite it , her insurance would not cover the damage .

Well, if the woman is going to bite her own HA, I wouldn't cover it either.
Someone should be selling idiot insurance. :giggle:

Whyyy...would a woman want to "bite her HA"??...fit of rage?...."You heard what I said!"....."You're always squeeking at me!"..."I asked you a question, gosh darn it!...What did you say!"..."You can squeek all you want!"....

I once lost both my hearing aids on the bus home from school, i had taken them out so i could use my headphones, and i had put them in my blazer pocket. I got off the bus and went home. I went to put them back in and they werent in my pocket. i was left with out hearing aids for 2 weeks whilst waiting for a replacement.

I now have a bone anchored hearing aid, and take it off at night, place it on my bedside table, but when i wake in the morning, it isn't there. normally its on the floor.

Back