I got a very strange mail from DMV????

Yes, I've read this morning but the problem is that I paid 300 dollars meaning I got 6 points within 18 months but the DMV letter sent to my old address where my friend lives, it says 10 points -- 600 dollars. Something is wrong with this picture. Like FriskyFeline said its so confusing and sucks. I never got a letter from DMV about anything (since 2007) except for renewal license in 2009. Crazy....

This is precisely why its best go court every time one gets ticket, often judge will let u get away by changing the charge like from speeding to parking ticket or something of lesser charges. The last time, judge warned me about three installments on speeding ticker and offered me as parking violation instead so I took it and run.

I was going to point out the above, too...except I remember it was 40 or more mph over the speed limit.....so still baffling.

She used to live in NYS, had NYS drivers license. That is where the problem is, since she failed show up court, she is pretty much stuck because failure to show up considered as guilty plea given.

The only solution is that she have to show up DMV and get this straighten out, may have to go to court to clean up the mess. It may not be pretty but, its only way to get out of mess. The longer she waits, the fees is going up rather than stay the same.

According to SilverRoxy's link.. the way I am reading it... the NC and Western PA tickets are not counted as they were out of state. I don't know how it works in NY but I would think that after a certain number of years the points do roll off your record (I think 7 years?) so the 2007 would not be there anymore. The only one that would be on her record would be the 2014 one. So... if her speeding ticket was for 30 or more MPH then yes she will get dinged for the fee (6 or more points). The strange thing is if if the ticket was in September 2014 and the letter didn't come until February 2015... guessing there is a backlog in logging the tickets & assessments/judgements.

That's a weird fee- I have never heard of it either. Pretty sure I had more than 6 points at one time (I don't want to get into why lol) but by now all the points i accrued are not on my record anymore (that and they were in other states- CO and SC from about 5 years ago).

Does not matter if you have registration car or not, its all down to your drivers license, nothing to do with registration.

My only advice I see is that go to either DMV or court and see what they can do. The longer you wait, the chances are you may be paying MORE, plus you may be risk of getting arrested and hopefully that cop isn't being an ass.

Whatdidyousay, in my original post, i dont have own car since 2007 It means no registration necessary. i have been renting a car on occasion. It means i buy insurance when i rent.

http://newyorkspeedingfines.com/

*If you receive 6 or more points you may be subject to an additional fine known as the Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA).

The DRA is a separate fine charged to you when you reach 6 points against your license in New York. At 6 points you will be fined $100 each year for 3 years. Each point that you get over 6 points is an additional $25 a year for 3 years.

Read the part about assessment, that is WHERE you got stuck.

quit pleading guilty and collecting charges/points. Have the ticket fixed (parking) no points and $200

She used to live in NYS, had NYS drivers license. That is where the problem is, since she failed show up court, she is pretty much stuck because failure to show up considered as guilty plea given.

The only solution is that she have to show up DMV and get this straighten out, may have to go to court to clean up the mess. It may not be pretty but, its only way to get out of mess. The longer she waits, the fees is going up rather than stay the same.

Excuse me, let me to get you to be cleared up. Failure to show up at court? Where does that come from? I've never had received any kind of letter from DMV about court date to appear, it means I always checked guilty plea along with payment for the fine in mail like the instruction on ticket said so. If choose not guilty plea then yes they would send a letter about the date of court to appear. I have never been to dmv court before.

Thats why its best always to plea NOT guilty and show up court. Often if one don't have history will get away with lesser charges. Have always worked for me. I recall back in late 80s where Chef sheriff busted me for doing 60 on 35 using vasscar Similar to Radar. Friends of mine told me not worth drive 5 hours to court just pay fine. I said NO! I show up. So I showed up, showed the fact that cop seems not doing his job, look wrong DOB, wrong year and make of my vehicle and so on, was wondering why cop wasn't doing job as correctly. Judge asked me to seat. I was seated for an hour watching chef argue with judge and showed bunch of papers which I had no idea what it was about. Judge then asked me to leave the court room and wait for clerk comment. So, I wait another half an hour. Got my money back and all charges were dropped. Know why?

The vasscar device that used to prove my speeding had expired inspection for over 2 years! Judge can not honor that device and had to drop all charges. So I flip double bird to chef, my friend dropped their jaws.

quit pleading guilty and collecting charges/points. Have the ticket fixed (parking) no points and $200

Okay, now I see where it goes. Since you plea guilty, you are being assessed at full charges meaning whatever is on the law book, you chalk up. DRA is new law passed almost 10 years ago, for those who have too many points must pay fine each year for 3 years. Yes, that means total of 4 tickets you have to pay. Suck, I know. At least you don't have to take drivers defense course which is new addition to the law book about couple years ago.

My advice is contact attorney and see what they say,

Because you plea guilty, you agreed with state that you will NOT contest (Meaning complain and ask for lesser charges) and you get to pay up in full.

For future, don't plea guilty, use NOT guilty plea, and show up court instead since it is actually cheaper that way.

Excuse me, let me to get you to be cleared up. Failure to show up at court? Where does that come from? I've never had received any kind of letter from DMV about court date to appear, it means I always checked guilty plea along with payment for the fine. If choose not guilty plea then yes they would send a letter about the date of court to appear. I have never been to dmv court before.

Okay, now I see where it goes. Since you plea guilty, you are being assessed at full charges meaning whatever is on the law book, you chalk up. DRA is new law passed almost 10 years ago, for those who have too many points must pay fine each year for 3 years. Yes, that means total of 4 tickets you have to pay. Suck, I know. At least you don't have to take drivers defense course which is new addition to the law book about couple years ago.

Because you plea guilty, you agreed with state that you will NOT contest (Meaning complain and ask for lesser charges) and you get to pay up in full.

For future, don't plea guilty, use NOT guilty plea, and show up court instead since it is actually cheaper that way.

Cheaper that way...really. Anywhere over 500 miles away from home and have to appear in court after pleading not guilty is cheaper to me? I dont think so.....where's the money for trip and how to get there if i am not privileged (suspended) to drive, where to stay and sleep, and food. The time and money being tight and from work schedule.

What I know about NYS DMV, they are ahhhole! They don't follow up with all violations until about 3 or more months, often near at its statute limitation is when they start follow up with you to renew the statute of limitation with all new additional penalties assessed to the violators.

What that means is that when one decide to lapse their insurance and gone without insurance coverage, DMV don't immediately contact that person for almost 3 months so that DMV can rake up enormous fine ($15 dollars a day, multiply that by 90, see how much it goes up).

Its the game that DMV is playing with these violators and I hate them with passion.

YEs, because your insurance premium WILL go up and will stay there for at least 3 years, depending on how many points. Its not just DMV, but insurance too. Total, it is going to cost more than ticket itself in long run.

And going court often get lesser charges, you could have show up and just pay 50 dollars parking ticket and none of that letter would have sent to you, want that way? 50 dollars or this?

Cheaper that way...really. Anywhere over 500 miles away from home and have to appear in court after pleading not guilty is cheaper to me? I dont think so.....where's the money for trip and how to get there if i am not privileged (suspended) to drive, where to stay and sleep, and food. The time and money being tight and from work schedule.

What I know about NYS DMV, they are ahhhole! They don't follow up with all violations until about 3 or more months, often near at its statute limitation is when they start follow up with you to renew the statute of limitation with all new additional penalties assessed to the violators.

What that means is that when one decide to lapse their insurance and gone without insurance coverage, DMV don't immediately contact that person for almost 3 months so that DMV can rake up enormous fine ($15 dollars a day, multiply that by 90, see how much it goes up).

Its the game that DMV is playing with these violators and I hate them with passion.

Thought so...that way seems to me this morning...for the first time. Like SS playing games with everyone else....

Kat, if that is your first letter, wait for two more coming to you next two years from DMV ! Is it still cheaper?

It depends on the state.

In SC, for traffic cases that don't involve injury or property damage, if the driver shows up at court and pleads guilty, the judge reduces the fine. If the driver pleads not guilty and loses the case, then they pay the full fine.

If guilty drivers want to reduce their points and insurance increase they can opt to attend Defensive Driving School. If they pass that course then points are removed (I'm not sure how many).

Yes, I am saying this for New York state, I know plenty of NYS traffic law. I have avoided a lot already by knowing whats in the law. I almost lost drivers license because I got 3 speeding tickets in just 14 months, that calls for automatic suspension but because first 2, I had it with lesser charge so judge offered me with 300 dollars fine paid by cash only, will leave my drivers license alone. That was 17 years ago.

I have got too many speeding ticket, and only 2 I was forced to pay in full, the rest drop to cute charges or completely dismissed that cost me no more than 50 dollars.

It depends on the state.

In SC, for traffic cases that don't involve injury or property damage, if the driver shows up at court and pleads guilty, the judge reduces the fine. If the driver pleads not guilty and loses the case, then they pay the full fine.

If guilty drivers want to reduce their points and insurance increase they can opt to attend Defensive Driving School. If they pass that course then points are removed (I'm not sure how many).

YEs, because your insurance premium WILL go up and will stay there for at least 3 years, depending on how many points. Its not just DMV, but insurance too. Total, it is going to cost more than ticket itself in long run.

And going court often get lesser charges, you could have show up and just pay 50 dollars parking ticket and none of that letter would have sent to you, want that way? 50 dollars or this?

That is why I no longer own a car since 8 years because insurance, gas, and body part repairs slashed too much the most of the budget. Plus I have a fear of driving all the time (i dont like driving everyday) and not great seeing during the night on busy traffics. It is pointless for me to own a car and being broke after paying shyts for a car. So that means i have no insurance and nothing except holding driver's license so that way of savint my budget - budgetwise is to rent a car (and of course buy insurance and deposit) on very occasion like travel and move things from one location to another.

Understand, sorry that it hit you so hard. Its just that its the law on the book and how DMV playing games. Best try work with DMV, I don't see other solution because you already plead guilty. When one plea gulty, it is pretty much like one declare that they are at 100% fault, and will accept penalty at 100%, no negotiation at all as opposed as not guilty.

I am sorry that you have to give up driving. I can see how hard it can be on anyone, not just you but everyone included myself. I will go nuts without drivers license.

Best luck, hope things works out in your favor.

That is why I no longer own a car since 8 years because insurance, gas, and body part repairs slashed too much the most of the budget. Plus I have a fear of driving all the time (i dont like driving everyday) and not great seeing during the night on busy traffics. It is pointless for me to own a car and being broke after paying shyts for a car. So that means i have no insurance and nothing except holding driver's license so that way of savint my budget - budgetwise is to rent a car (and of course buy insurance and deposit) on very occasion like travel and move things from one location to another.

Thats why its best always to plea NOT guilty and show up court. Often if one don't have history will get away with lesser charges. Have always worked for me. I recall back in late 80s where Chef sheriff busted me for doing 60 on 35 using vasscar Similar to Radar. Friends of mine told me not worth drive 5 hours to court just pay fine. I said NO! I show up. So I showed up, showed the fact that cop seems not doing his job, look wrong DOB, wrong year and make of my vehicle and so on, was wondering why cop wasn't doing job as correctly. Judge asked me to seat. I was seated for an hour watching chef argue with judge and showed bunch of papers which I had no idea what it was about. Judge then asked me to leave the court room and wait for clerk comment. So, I wait another half an hour. Got my money back and all charges were dropped. Know why?

The vasscar device that used to prove my speeding had expired inspection for over 2 years! Judge can not honor that device and had to drop all charges. So I flip double bird to chef, my friend dropped their jaws.

Ok, so you got your charges dropped because of an expired vasscar device. Not because you were not guilty.

The easiest thing for you to do, DHB, instead of hating them, is to not speed. :wave:

Back