I dont know if i should change majors..

violet

Reaction score
I never thought i'd say this..but now im so iffy about being an interpreter
Let me explain
I took ASL 1-4 in high school
and because i was stupid and didnt explain to my college adviser that i had done this I HAVE TO start over again I took ASL1 and now today was my first day of ASL 2... and how do i feel... Unhappy!i completely understand everything i've "challanged myself" but it fails i know i should be higher up!But at the same time.. i feel as if going back to square one has made me dumber.. because my signing is so affected..its so starting to super suck!
i wasnt like this i was A student all through high school yes i got an A in ASL1 but the point is.. Im not happy anymore.. i look at my friend she feels the same as i do when i was in high school she loves asl she wants to do everything and anything that has to do with deaf people deaf culture asl ..blah blah blah.. you get the point..I USED TO BE LIKE THAT!
i USED TO LOOOOVE iT!
but now i feel its soo boring.. so i feel as if when i finish my major and get my degree.. My love for everything (interpreting will be gone)
I could ask to test out..but i feel as if im so much stupider that i dont have the confidence to feel as if im good enough to pass the exam
i feel as if i need so much work yet none at all
I wish i was challanged. i wish i had the love back most of all
So do you guys have any suggestions as to what i can do
should i change my major( i have not wanted to do something different since i was 8 ive always loved interpreting asl etc)
I dunno what to do..

So please if you guys have any suggestions i would love them

i know this might be like just me venting but i hope you guys can help
Im sorry for wasting your time if i did
but thank you for reading :)

My opinion. Ask to try to test out . The worst that happens is you don't pass. You might pass and speed up your process of being an interpreter. Since I have been here I noticed how connected you seem to us. Also I think as much as you can know another person online, that you seem nice and empathetic.

I believe it would be a big loss if you quit.

My opinion. Ask to try to test out . The worst that happens is you don't pass. You might pass and speed up your process of being an interpreter. Since I have been here I noticed how connected you seem to us. Also I think as much as you can know another person online, that you seem nice and empathetic.

I believe it would be a big loss if you quit.

Yea my dream since i was 8 was to be an interpreter..or anything as close as i could get to deaf culture. Im gonna see about testing out. You think that way maybe i'll feel the love for the language come back?
Thank you!:D thank you really for your sweet words :D

You are welcome.

And yes I am pretty sure your ASL love will come back.

Hang in there.

You are welcome.

And yes I am pretty sure your ASL love will come back.

Hang in there.

Thank you i really needed that.. this whole thing really got me so down..but thank you really so much!:D

Could your high school records of those classes be good enough to put you higher up?

Could your high school records of those classes be good enough to put you higher up?

Well.. the exams for testing up arent that hard.. i should be in ASL 4 college level at least by now..One of my friends who was in the same class with me making lower grades then me, is now in asl 4
i think i will ask to Test out.. most of the time the only thing i have to do is a "live presentation of random questions being asked by like the head teacher" and if she says yes i move up if not i dont

Keep at it. I remember you felt so happy that you were able to interpret for a deaf man in a store. So that must be where your path is, and beside it is a goal you wanted to pursue since you were young.

Get this major and you can always go back and do something else, if you don't want to be a terp.

Good luck with finding motivation and for taking the test soon.

Don't give up. You have just reached a rough spot. Like the others, i suggest that you investigate testing out of the lower levels.

BTW, it wasn't "stupid" of you not to mention to your advisor that you had ASL 1-4 in high school. Your advisor has access to your high school transcripts...she should have reviewed that information prior to meeting with you so that she would have been better able to advise you. After all, she is the professional, not you. This was her error.

love of ASL what you expressed when you were young girl. You will recieve the love back in somehow soon. You'll recongize how much you have missed ASL.

I was in your shoes before, i used to LOVE being a ASL storyteller/performer until RIT. I performed to city of rochy for my gig. I got tired of it and doesnt make much money for my tutitions needs. So, i decided to stop for almost 4 years from 2002. In 2006, A gentleman saw me walking into store, he ran to me and said, "i remembered that you performed ASL in Rochester, New york" I told him, Yeah but when? He said it was in 4 years ago. I figured it out that he is telling honest and told him, what is so special?. He mentioned that his wife is doing Feast for the Eyes (Asl performance). He asked me if i still doing my own stuffs of ASL. I told him, no im done. He begged and wanted me to give a trail to perform at Feast for the Eyes. I willed and give a shot for one last time. After my peformed, i decided to return to my performing and i missed it. Now, there are several people that wanted hired me as wedding poetry. So, i guess that my love of ASL performer has found me and so be it.

its been success.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE OF YOU :D
You guys really made me feel so much better it was really getting me down.. but thank you guys for your ideas and experiences it so means a lot
I owe you all one!:) thank you i will see what i can do
interpreting has always been my goal and i want to achieve it so i will do everything possible :) :grouphug:

Its normal to feel frustrated in the beginning, as time goes by you will feel more confident in what you are doing. Keep going :)

Its normal to feel frustrated in the beginning, as time goes by you will feel more confident in what you are doing. Keep going :)

Umm only frustrating because i know i shouldn't have had to go back to square one.. Its like learning to walk all over again.. but hey thank you :) i hope it gets better :)

Avwdng... ya shoudnt feel so low but ya really need to be very sure ya can do this... I am sure ya will succeed in what ya can do... I think being an interpreter would suit ya well enough as ya love to do that and ya feel more connected to the deaf world, eh? Do keep your chin up and solder on and work hard and ya will feel so successful after this...

Avwdng

Speaking as a person who has had a LOT of college, I am having trouble believing that the structure of your degree plan is so stringent.

In my opinion, the best thing you could do is to ding an advisor or instructor you feel really comfortable with and just be honest with them. Who knows, they could be reading this right now! I am confident they would be sympathetic and, at the very least, would help prepare to to test out. They are there to make sure you get the best out of your college experience and to prepare you to enter your field. I'm sure they'd help if they knew how this was affecting you. I hope it all works out. Keep me posted. And as always...Austin represent.

Hunter

It is normal for you to feel frustrated during studying, keep going and in the end it will worth it when you become a qualified interpreter. Your love and passion to ASL will return.

Hang in there. :)

Have you considered about adding a minor or two to fulfill your need in being challenged while you are taking 'repeat' courses due to some red tape?

It sounds like you hit a wall in dealing with 'red tape' and that clearly frustrated the heck out of you. You wouldn't feel so frustrated if you weren't so passionately invested in your choices, right? :)

Thank you all for your wonderful comments as for liza... i dont want to minor in anything i dont like school the only reason im in it is because its basically already paid for me.. ummm and..ive decided to stay in asl two although i have emailed my teacher and still awaiting her reply but i told her i dont mind staying in asl two and taking asl 3 as a shorter course and then asl 4 the longer course (tis a bit more challenging) and asked for her point of view i'll tell you all what she says . but THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS i REALLY APPRECIATE THEM ALL :D

Back