I don't have an accent... GRR

Say, "thank you". No need to explain. :)

I did say "thank you" to the guy, I think he would had felt silly if he knew he called my HOH accent a lovely Mexican accent!

I have been asked where I was from all of my life. AS a child, I didnt understand why I was constantly asked that so I started making up lies about being from exotic countries and how I was adopted and all that. LOL!

Yep...I even land a few hot dates because I was a "foreigner". :naughty:

I was a Halloween party years ago and a guy who was dressed as the 'mummy' thought my 'accent' was sexy! I went to party with a friend and she told the guy I was HOH and was not able to understand him as his face was wrapped up!
I did not go out with the guy as I had no idea what he looked like!! Boy it sure is hard to read a guy lips when his whole body is wrapped up!

Accents

I have had so many people ask me if I am from Ireland because of my "accent". I never know what to say. While I am Irish, my accent is because of my deafness. Does this happen to anyone? And.. does an Irish accent sound like how someone with deafness may sound?

:hmm:

It has taken me a while to track this down. My Irish mom finally remembered. If you are irritated if some ignorant person asks if you have an Irish accent try this. "Pog Mo Thion" it means KISS MY ASS. Sounds like Pug Ma Huhn. Haha:laugh2:

I have had so many people ask me if I am from Ireland because of my "accent". I never know what to say. While I am Irish, my accent is because of my deafness. Does this happen to anyone? And.. does an Irish accent sound like how someone with deafness may sound?

I sure can speak for myself. As a kid, it was Spanish accent. As a college student it was, "you have a French accent, Very sexy" No, I said, Just a deaf accent.

25 years after college, I still get something. My favorite one is, one evening I was at a dog park. My dog was being her usual bratty self so I was giving her commands. This middle aged woman walked over to me with a big friendly smile and asked, "What language are you speaking." I bursted out laughing and said English I hope. Poor lady was so embarrassed. :giggle:
Judy

I have been asked where I was from all of my life. AS a child, I didnt understand why I was constantly asked that so I started making up lies about being from exotic countries and how I was adopted and all that. LOL!

Careful kiddo, LOL My mother is late deafened. She was slightly hard of hearin until 32 when she lost all of it. One story she used to tell us was that a man came into the dry cleaners where she worked when she was 22. Mom waited on him and in the course of the conversation he asked her what countyr she was from. Mom said France and the guy said his wife was from France. He told her he would bring in his wife someday so they could speak French. I think Mom lived in fear that the guy would show up with his wife in toll. Needless to say, Mom started looking for a new job. :giggle::hmm:

"Oh what a tangled web we weave
when we first practice to deceive."

Judy

I have a job working with customers and at least once a week someone asks me what country I'm from. I was thinking of telling them I'm Chinese (I look more like a viking). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

i am told different accents would require emphasis on different facial and oral mucles so i guess you would pick up accents and when people say you look irish or russion(in some cases)that the reason

I've been told that I had a heavy British accent (Sicilian American) watched a lot of PBS as a child but I doubt anyone else picked up on this accent. Another thought I had a heavy Greek accent - again, no one else commented on this growing up. Don't know where people got this from but the reigning accent people say I have is a Bostonian accent - and yep, they finally got it right.....

Have been asked if I were from Sweden....a "Swedish accent"....(my blonde hair/blue eyes also)...

i was born east london and had very cockney accent so when i went deaf my accent remained

Uhh, yeah... I have been told that. Even though I live in southeast Texas, and have lived in Texas all my life. I've been told anything from New England to European, maybe Australian, over yonder to the Mid-west. I even do a Native American speaking español when I use such words, because that's who I grew up around with in south Texas. I can imitate accents fairly well, like that Boston accent, "Pahk the Cah."

Have you ever heard a British version of Boomhauer? I have heard a few customers on the sales floor who spoke like that, and I CANNOT UNDERSTAND IT! I've had to refer them to my coworkers.

I get more comments on my total lack of accent and being a bit deadpan. Especially when I'm from Texas... a state known for its accent lol.

Why not just say with a smile
~ "oh, I have a deaf accent 'cuz I have a hearing loss" ??

Fuzzy

Yep...I even land a few hot dates because I was a "foreigner". :naughty:

I had guys that thought my 'accent' was sexy too. One guy was dressed as a mummy for a Halloween party so I had no idea what he looked like and did not go out with him.

Back