I don't have an accent... GRR

I used to keep a list of places where people thought I was from and I really don't think I have any accent.
I did get annoyed but then I figured if people are curious about where I'm from, maybe I can educate them on hearing loss.
Teachable moments.
Most people are just curious.

Regarding my accent, I know that since my hearing loss has worsened my consonants have gotten "slushy" and I seem to abruptly end phonemes.
For example, I found myself saying "shiken" instead of "CHICKen" and "lectshure" instead of "lecTure".
Such is life.

No wonder that hearing people detected the way we mispronounced our words or saying the wrong sentences that hearing people had to ask if we came from another country like Ireland or German or Norway. We don't speak clearly. Yep, you have to educate the hearing people about us being deaf or hard of hearing that we just can not hear. That is probably why I like to sign ASL instead of talking. Dang!!!! :(

i knew an american and australian before i went deaf they had deaf accent but strangly they had american and australian accents aswel..having they never could hear we put down to lip reading and muscles use for talking

Ever since this thread started, I wondered what kind of idiot says "GRR" like a dog growling.

But to the title, if you are deaf, of course you have a deaf accent. It's an accent even if not from a foreign country.

But of course you could respond that you come from Eyeth...

But of course you could respond that you come from Eyeth...

Of course you can dismiss the frustrations of deaf people who don't exclusively use sign and make a reference to Deaf culture that you assume will only be caught by "real" Deaf people.

Don't forget that some people, like me, grew up immersed in Deaf culture but also choose to speak.

And the whole Planet Eyeth thing was sort of a clever pun 20 years ago...I guess "Through Deaf Eyes" brought it back to the mainstream.
I'm not saying that Planet Eyeth isn't a good analogy for the d/Deaf experience. It just is so tired.

Of course you can dismiss the frustrations of deaf people who don't exclusively use sign and make a reference to Deaf culture that you assume will only be caught by "real" Deaf people.

Don't forget that some people, like me, grew up immersed in Deaf culture but also choose to speak.

And the whole Planet Eyeth thing was sort of a clever pun 20 years ago...I guess "Through Deaf Eyes" brought it back to the mainstream.
I'm not saying that Planet Eyeth isn't a good analogy for the d/Deaf experience. It just is so tired.

Huh?? If so why are you so insecure?

It doesn't, believe me. Anyone that says that does not know what an Irish accent sounds like. Very different. Not sure how to describe the sound to you though, but they do not sound alike at all.
I have had so many people ask me if I am from Ireland because of my "accent". I never know what to say. While I am Irish, my accent is because of my deafness. Does this happen to anyone? And.. does an Irish accent sound like how someone with deafness may sound?

:hmm:

They say that Irish is a very melodic accent. There are lots of twists and turns and curves in the sound. The pitch moves about a lot too. It's very fluid-sounding.

Deaf accent sounds exactly the opposite if this is true. Much more monotone and straightforward.

Interesting. I remember once they found a woman wandering around town, and she had amnesia. They took her to some department on campus and had some kind of speech pathologist talk to her. They supposedly found where she lived, just within a few miles of her home a couple states away just from her accent. Apparently she pronounced "creek" as "crick", and they were able to pinpoint her place of origin. I was wondering if they could do the same with a deaf person. :hmm:

I actually watched an episode of Bones, and there was a deaf girl they found who was covered in blood and wouldn't talk/sign to them at all, and they didn't know where she was from. They were videotaping the interview, and she asked if she could go to the restroom, and they found out exactly where she was from by the way she signed it (regional differences)! It was amazing!! Turns out she was a victim of domestic abuse.. So yes, they can do the same with a deaf person!

I have a very generic Midlands American accent. I could just as easily be from parts of the midwest or Pennsylvania instead of Florida. While my hearing has declined a bit from my childhood diagnosis, I don't believe I have any markings of a deaf accent, but I have sometimes gotten people asking about my accent. Most memorable was when in college, a guy said I sounded like his friend from Denmark that had learned English while living in Ireland.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Back