I disagree with this CI surgeon predicting stem cells in 15 years

deafdude1

Reaction score
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Stem cell available in Kansas City

My post in the above thread addressed alot of good points regarding HAs, CI and stem cells. I wish to address additional points in a new thread and discuss them among you guys. Let's please have a civil, open mind discussion stating your agreement or disagreement. Make your own points stating why. I may agree or disagree with your points with my counterpoints.

Those who are anti stem cells, please refrain from insults and going off topic. I will not get into an argument with you, start your own thread(or find a CI thread) if you wish to bash stem cells. Feel free to agree or disagree with my answers, but be civil about it.

GrendelQ talked to a CI surgeon and asked the following questions:

We had the following questions in deciding whether our then 2.5YO Li-Li should get a second implant last year or wait:

1. Surgery: would better, less invasive, Lasik-like methods be developed in the near future, eg, work currently being done on developing new methods at Vanderbilt? > CI Surgeon's answer: yes, but still requiring anesthesia and deep surgery, not significantly different from current methods.

2. technology: would the big CI players be coming out with any new technology that we'd want to wait for > Cochlear Americas: working on something, but ETA and scope of changes unknown, possibly just external upgrade (hmmm, yes, but now I get to see the wonderful SMALLER Nucleus 5 that we missed by a year - push them for an update!); CI surgeon said that CI co's will always be focused on retrofitting new tech to previous models: recipients are their proof points and if we fail, they fail.

3. hair cell regen: would getting surgery now preclude or limit later hair cell regen therapies? > CI Surgeon & hair cell regen researcher answered: no!

4. hair cell regen: when will hair cell regen. be available and what are expected results? > last year, CI Surgeon & hair cell regen researcher answered: very hard to say, some ballpark figures that they wouldn't want to be held to: They expected nothing available for children in the US for at least another 5 years (that was in Summer '08). Results during first 5-10 years after that point (from 2013 - 2023), they expected we'd approximate results from early to current CIs, improving over time, but wouldn't see catch up to contemporary CIs until the 10-15 year point.

5. Is the incremental improvement expected worth the downsides (surgery, potential to damage hair cells that might be accessed later) > What is likelihood that Li-Li will be in crowded, nosy, chaotic environments? HIGH

My answers:

1. I have been in contact with a few stem cell centers, including the one that treated Chloe. No surgery or lasers. Just an IV to arm. They can make a small incision and implant the cells directly in your cochlea but don't recommend this 2nd option.

2. Any future CI technology does not interest me as I am getting stem cells soon. We have seen Chloe become hearing without HAs!

3. The stem cell centers ive been in contact can't and won't consider anyone with CI a candidate for stem cells. Ive also learned that those with a CI may require regrowing a new cochlea(a 20+ year wait) Animal studies have shown that damage to the cochlea similar to what CI does causes stem cells to be unable to give any real improvement.

4. The USA is years behind due to Bush and his anti-stem cell crowd. Other countries are offering stem cells today and dozens of people are getting it for hearing loss. I would only need to get to about 80db HL after stem cells to match today's CI. I should be able to hear at the 10-20db level with my HAs offering maximum amplification of about/around 70db in the speech frequencies.(80db HL with 70db gain=10db aided with HAs) Todays stem cells offer an average improvement of 20db per treatment and Nepsis can give me a treatment once a month. We have seen Chloe's amazing results. I have seen other results that were still as good or better than today's CI.

5. The downside to CI is why I am choosing stem cells over CI. If stem cells don't work, the only thing I have to lose is several thousand dollars.

I have made my points in the answers and in other threads. I disagree with this CI surgeon on his points and explained why. I understand he is entitled to his own opinion and beliefs. He is very pro CI, but then that's his job. That would be his choice if he's ever interested in offering stem cells to help people hear. Feel free to agree/disagree and state your own points. We can all learn alot this way. Just keep your replies civil and be open minded.

You are not a surgeon. You are not involved in the ENT field at all. You are making statements that have nothing to back them up, other than your opinion. You search on google and then draw your own conclusions. That doesn't make a single thing you say true.

Why are you so against Cochlear Implants I really would like to know, Was it you didn't qualify for one and this has made you so bitter?

I can not take very serious anyone making comments like' CI may require regrowing a new cochlea(a 20+ year wait) Pulling information out of thin air to support his opinion.

You have a right to value the information provided via YouTube by the PR folks at RNL Bio -- where you can have your Pekinese cloned (at the special low, low price of $50K) and get your Treatment (cost undisclosed) -- over information from a leading researcher in the area of hair cell regeneration who has published on the topic in Science and the Journal of Neuroscience Research, among other places, and who is also a professor of Otology at Harvard Medical School and a surgeon at one of the most renowned hospitals in the US.

But Deafdude, I've got to say that I feel a bit stalked :). First you pull in my daughter's audiogram from our family blog and then you pull one of my comments from Melissa's blog [ Melissa's Cochlear Implant: Bilateral Update. ] and address it here. I'm not a CI evangelist with an itchy trigger finger for implanting the masses and I am pro-hair cell regeneration. And yet I'm afraid I'll find my Twitter feed and some grainy old prom photos from my Facebook page posted in alldeaf next week. My comment was a response to Melissa's post about going bilateral and not an argument for or against stem cells.

:roll: Seems there are not enough dead horses to beat on this subject.

Must be horse #531 and counting... :whistle:

Why are you so against Cochlear Implants I really would like to know, Was it you didn't qualify for one and this has made you so bitter?

Have you read any of my posts saying things like "I am happy for you that your CI works great!" and the like? I see both sides to CI, the good and bad. Most people here only see the good and get mad if me or anyone says anything bad about CI. Ironic because several years ago, they were against CIs themselves. I never had a CI evaluation, it would be a waste of my time and their time. I am getting stem cells and my blog explains my reasons.

I can not take very serious anyone making comments like' CI may require regrowing a new cochlea(a 20+ year wait) Pulling information out of thin air to support his opinion.

Email the experts at the stem cell centers and youll learn what I have.

You have a right to value the information provided via YouTube by the PR folks at RNL Bio -- where you can have your Pekinese cloned (at the special low, low price of $50K) and get your Treatment (cost undisclosed) -- over information from a leading researcher in the area of hair cell regeneration who has published on the topic in Science and the Journal of Neuroscience Research, among other places, and who is also a professor of Otology at Harvard Medical School and a surgeon at one of the most renowned hospitals in the US.

I am just wondering why he thinks stem cells for hearing loss is 15 years away when RNL Bio has already treated Chloe. Can you email him(or let me know where I can email him) about Chloe's stem cell success and also let him know he can get in contact with RNL and other stem cell centers treating hearing loss today, not in 15 years?

I am just wondering why he thinks stem cells for hearing loss is 15 years away when RNL Bio has already treated Chloe. Can you email him(or let me know where I can email him) about Chloe's stem cell success
Because Chloe's stem cell sucess was due to her having AUTOIMMUNE hearing loss. Autoimmune hearing loss is VERY responsive to treatment.....matter of fact, they can treat it with steroids etc..
How do you know Chloe didn't also have steriod treatment in conjunction with stem cells?
There has been NOTHING in peer reviewed journals.......which is very fishy. It's all about HYPE!
Just b/c one type of hearing loss is responsive to treatment, it doesn't mean that ALL hearing loss is responsive to treatment!

I sure noticed deafdude1 is obsessed with the stem cell technology but I don't think he really understands that we all are for stem cell technology (and even those against abortion would support adult stem) but we are STILL a long way from making it a mature technology. There is still a lot of research on stem cell technology and the long term effects are still unknown.

If you want to participate in new stem trial, then great. It's not something I would sacrifice for myself but I am afraid that you're getting shady information from those people. FDA protocols are very strict with how people can be recruited and can be tested.

I sure noticed deafdude1 is obsessed with the stem cell technology but I don't think he really understands that we all are for stem cell technology (and even those against abortion would support adult stem) but we are STILL a long way from making it a mature technology. There is still a lot of research on stem cell technology and the long term effects are still unknown.

If you want to participate in new stem trial, then great. It's not something I would sacrifice for myself but I am afraid that you're getting shady information from those people. FDA protocols are very strict with how people can be recruited and can be tested.

Yeah! He is obsessed with stem cell to cure for deafness. I doubt it. He always make many threads of stem cell and CI between. It's annoying me and other members. He need to stop it! He always pull the thread to use member's names to get everyone's attention. That is not right. He is very wrong. I will pull his blog website to my husband and ENT.

Yeah! He is obsessed with stem cell to cure for deafness. I doubt it. He always make many threads of stem cell and CI between. It's annoying me and other members. He need to stop it! He always pull the thread to use member's names to get everyone's attention. That is not right. He is very wrong. I will pull his blog website to my husband and ENT.
:gpost:

deafdude, I doubt that a prominent researcher in the area of hair cell regeneration would lend much credibility to a press release and a Youtube video from an obscure clinic in South Korea whose previous claims to fame were somewhat more veterinary and decidedly commercial:

RNL Bio, cloned a toy breed of Chinese Emperor for the first time in the world. Feb 27, 2009
RNL Bio successfully cloned a small breed Pekingese commercially for the first time in the world.

RNL offers a free stem cell shot for pets for new banking customers. Feb 20, 2009
As a promotion from RNL Bio, pet owners who register RNL's stem cell bank for animals will have unique opportunity for free stem cell therapy for their pets.

If you insist that hair cell regeneration therapy is not only safely, legitimately, and sustainably available today and can provide auditory results that consistently surpass today's CI technology, then if you want to, by all means, please undergo this therapy yourself right now and post your audiograms on your blog, I'd be very interested in what you experience personally, and very much interested in legitimate research. I'm just not at all interested in reading or viewing this type of spam from a dodgy clinic aggressively trying to get investors.

Deafdude1 - What makes you think you are qualified to second guess a PHD? I have asked you this before but you don't respond to the hard questions. What are your qualifications?

:roll: Seems there are not enough dead horses to beat on this subject.

Must be horse #531 and counting... :whistle:
LOL yeah.

17551d1151757932-06-360z-kill-attention_whore.jpg

Deafdude1. You should be providing sources that can be confirmed for the statements you make. For all we know you are making this stuff up. Where are the sources? I have asked you before for your credentials (what qualifies you to come across as some sort of an expert) and also asked you to provide sources but you never respond. As far as I am concerned without providing your qualifications and sources you are just blowing alot of hot air.

Deafdude............Thirty years ago they were saying that a cure for spinal cord injuiry was just around the corner.
I know some sci folks who have gone overseas (where you claim they are ahead of the US)
for treatment and they've improved a bit........but nothing that couldn't be attribuated to intensive rehab. For example Christopher Reeve could twitch his finger due to his intensive rehab.
It's still FAR TOO SOON to tell anythign about stem cell.
And besides, they should concentrate on curing serious stuff like Aleizheimer's, diabetes, depression, sceizophernia, etc before they should even THINK about curing relatively mild things like hearing loss and blind issues.
Also I will bet any amount of money that they'll only be able to cure adult aquirred or postlingal losses. The pediatric dhh and blind low vision population is still going to be here for many more centuries.

Back