I cannot start Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind

Yup, The grand jury found No One at fault. :( It happened on the Day before Halloween in 1988.

I remember they shut down all the hot water at the school.

The girls dorm protested... because we did not have ANY hot water for a few days. We got tired of it and refuse to go to school til they turn the hot water back on.

I don't blame them for protesting!

I don't blame them for protesting!

We protested since we got tired of cold showers! We all sat in the TV room in our PJs the houseparents kept telling us to get dressed blah blah... We told them no.. Not until we get a warm shower going!!

It did not take them long to make some calls and get the hot water back We were all in school before lunch.

We protested since we got tired of cold showers! We all sat in the TV room in our PJs the houseparents kept telling us to get dressed blah blah... We told them no.. Not until we get a warm shower going!!

It did not take them long to make some calls and get the hot water back We were all in school before lunch.

See there! The Deaf are great at organized and civilized protests!

That's what we need to do that to AG Bell group!

See there! The Deaf are great at organized and civilized protests!

Yup, Some of the girls went to school thinking they were going to get in trouble.. majority of us stayed behind.

Mission accomplished!!

Finally! My old school called us recent that they will fax my records to FSDB! My grandma has been called them for three days! They kept saying they will but they never do it. Now they finally do it.

your grandma is very very sweet for trying to make you happy. take her out to dinner if you have some $$ .

Finally! My old school called us recent that they will fax my records to FSDB! My grandma has been called them for three days! They kept saying they will but they never do it. Now they finally do it.

That is terrific! You are moving right along! Start getting yourself ready for the school year.

Now that FSDB will have your school records. You guys can set up an IEP meeting. :)

That is terrific! You are moving right along! Start getting yourself ready for the school year.

yes, right now. We have to wait for 10 days then FSDB will call us for test something then IEP then wait for few days then I can start FSDB!

...They told me that my special teacher has my IEP records...That need to be fax too. My mom called her and no respond. -_-

Well, hello there fellow deaf Floridian! I live about one hour south of you. Good luck with the process and everything.

With oral deaf kids, the trend is that when they hit 4th or 5th grade and are falling far behind, they get sent to the Deaf schools.

For those who have made it all the way, I knew a few who have become high school dropouts but then again there are some like me, who graduated with a degree.

As for certification of completation..never met an oral/mainstreamed deaf who got one. Maybe I did but they wont admit it. Dunno.

I met a deaf oral guy at my local food store a few days ago. He was begging for people to help him cash his food stamps. I saw a man tell him to excuse him and he told the man that he was sorry and that he was deaf and pointed to his hearing aide so I went up to him and started signed and speaking to him. He said he didnt know any sign language and asked if I was deaf. I said yes... and he asked me if I could help him cash his food stamps. I told him that I wouldnt do that because it was illegal. He asked me if I went to a Deaf school since I signed and all that..I said no..that I was mainstreamed. He said he was mainstreamed orally too and that he was glad he never went to a Deaf school because they were all retards. I kindly told him that I have many friends who went there and I have worked at some. I asked him why did he feel that way..he said oralism gave him mroe opportunities.

More opportunities? Asking people to cash his food stamps. Sure! I just siad, "yea more opportunities..sure! " and just walked away. He was so so so uneducated and ignorant. Not interested in befriending him if he is standing in front of the food store begging people to break the law. Not my kind of role model. No thanks.

Really? The oral deaf kids who hit the fourth grade ceiling now get sent to the Deaf Schools now? Wow........so that's why enrollment at Clarke is so tiny? That is what I figured. The Deaf Schools have become hoh and CI friendly in the past few years. So instead of being sent to Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's, they can be sent to the State Deaf School. Did you know actually there's a really oral (but uses ASL too) state school in NY? Because I know back when we were kids, and even up until about ten years ago the trend for oral kids when they hit the ceiling was to go to CID/St. Josephs or Clarke. That actually was the reason why the oral Deaf Schools still had active dorm programs up til recently. It wasn't b/c it took so long for the kids to master speech. Rather it was b/c so many kids hit the fourth grade glass ceiling. I remember reading issues of Volta Voices from the 90's, and they really pushed the middle school program at Clarke/CID and St. Josephs. But that's kinda good news. Granted they SHOULD have gone to Deaf school and been exposed to ASL from the start.....but at least they're not being totally oralized....Still......And let me guess, the parents of the oral kids are all " OMG! We should have picked ASL and Deaf School from the start!" right?

Really? The oral deaf kids who hit the fourth grade ceiling now get sent to the Deaf Schools now? Wow........so that's why enrollment at Clarke is so tiny? That is what I figured. The Deaf Schools have become hoh and CI friendly in the past few years. So instead of being sent to Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's, they can be sent to the State Deaf School. Did you know actually there's a really oral (but uses ASL too) state school in NY? Because I know back when we were kids, and even up until about ten years ago the trend for oral kids when they hit the ceiling was to go to CID/St. Josephs or Clarke. That actually was the reason why the oral Deaf Schools still had active dorm programs up til recently. It wasn't b/c it took so long for the kids to master speech. Rather it was b/c so many kids hit the fourth grade glass ceiling. I remember reading issues of Volta Voices from the 90's, and they really pushed the middle school program at Clarke/CID and St. Josephs. But that's kinda good news. Granted they SHOULD have gone to Deaf school and been exposed to ASL from the start.....but at least they're not being totally oralized....Still......And let me guess, the parents of the oral kids are all " OMG! We should have picked ASL and Deaf School from the start!" right?[/QUOTE]

Not in those words exactly but they have expressed regret for not picking ASL and Deaf schools from the start.

Not in those words exactly but they have expressed regret for not picking ASL and Deaf schools from the start.

That so doesn't surprise me. I really am CONVICED that if we can get out the word that Deaf Schools are Hoh friendly AND improve the hoh services with some schools, more and more parents would chose them as a first choice, especially early on. I think the thing that is really hurting enrollment at Deaf Schools is the myth that it's some glorious voice off hardcore Deaf paradise or only for severe/profounders.
I think it's amazing that the oral kids who hit the 4th grade glass ceiling are now attending Deaf Schools, instead of Clarke. (which is the only one that has dorms) Maybe that's reflecting a change in attitude among today's parents. We still have a lot of parents who are " MY kid WILL NOT use ASL" but I think we have some parents who are OK with ASL etc....but they're just really afraid that their kid might not get enough spoken language therapy in a sign using program , so they go the oral route. I know someone who sent their kid to an oral program, and then they moved to a Deaf School. We might have a lot of parents like that. I mean.....today's parents tend to be a little more worldly. For example, they may actucally KNOW peers or kids who used ASL or who were mainstreamed/.oral and might reconize the downsides. I know almost any kid who grew up with me, would prolly chose ASL and speech and deaf school/program b/c of what I went through.

I'm counting on my mom getting IEP papers to fax to Taylor high school in Florida. If she fail to do so, I won't be able to attend FSDB, I will have to go back to SC.

I'm counting on my mom getting IEP papers to fax to Taylor high school in Florida. If she fail to do so, I won't be able to attend FSDB, I will have to go back to SC.
Hope you get what you want. Is this your last year of high school? You know you can always go to Gally if all is not working well but I believe you will go FSDB. Good luck.

I'm going back to SC and stay there for three weeks because I can't start FSDB :(. I have to wait for 3 weeks and they will call us for test something then I can start.

Back