I cannot start Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind

We had that advantage....so I can understand's Meg's point of view. She was living in the dorms so she didnt have the option to have her family make her lunch to bring to school instead of eating at the cafeteria.

I gotta admit...the program where I work at...the food is mostly crappy and I feel for the kids whose parents are unable to make them a bag lunch.

The High School dorms are equipped with kitchens. She could have cooked her own meal if her parents gave her the money for groceries.

My roommate and I had a full kitchen and living room in our room. It was an apartment style dorm. We would take turns cooking every now and then.

And is that true for oral deaf kids too? What are the stats on the number of dhh kids who get certificates of compleation vs. diplomas?

With oral deaf kids, the trend is that when they hit 4th or 5th grade and are falling far behind, they get sent to the Deaf schools.

For those who have made it all the way, I knew a few who have become high school dropouts but then again there are some like me, who graduated with a degree.

As for certification of completation..never met an oral/mainstreamed deaf who got one. Maybe I did but they wont admit it. Dunno.

I met a deaf oral guy at my local food store a few days ago. He was begging for people to help him cash his food stamps. I saw a man tell him to excuse him and he told the man that he was sorry and that he was deaf and pointed to his hearing aide so I went up to him and started signed and speaking to him. He said he didnt know any sign language and asked if I was deaf. I said yes... and he asked me if I could help him cash his food stamps. I told him that I wouldnt do that because it was illegal. He asked me if I went to a Deaf school since I signed and all that..I said no..that I was mainstreamed. He said he was mainstreamed orally too and that he was glad he never went to a Deaf school because they were all retards. I kindly told him that I have many friends who went there and I have worked at some. I asked him why did he feel that way..he said oralism gave him mroe opportunities.

More opportunities? Asking people to cash his food stamps. Sure! I just siad, "yea more opportunities..sure! " and just walked away. He was so so so uneducated and ignorant. Not interested in befriending him if he is standing in front of the food store begging people to break the law. Not my kind of role model. No thanks.

The High School dorms are equipped with kitchens. She could have cooked her own meal if her parents gave her the money for groceries.

My roommate and I had a full kitchen and living room in our room. It was an apartment style dorm. We would take turns cooking every now and then.

Really? I didnt know that. True, if the option was there, she could have cooked her own meals instead of complaining and whining about cafeteria food.

I know quite a few friends who graduated from FSBD and they loved it. I learned that one of my friends was friends with Babyblue at FSBD. :)

Small world. People that don't have much experience with Deaf culture don't realize how these close connections play out.

Really? I didnt know that. True, if the option was there, she could have cooked her own meals instead of complaining and whining about cafeteria food.
Damn. I wish VSDB had that option!

Huh? Not in my time. Over the weekends, there was few students staying there, so couple of seminary guys who lived at St. Rita would cook. Sometimes they come up with something really unusual like spaghetti in chili. They usually used up anything that was left over from the week.

Aww...that's too bad. Actually spaghetti in chili is a Cincinnati tradition.:giggle:

Small world. People that don't have much experience with Deaf culture don't realize how these close connections play out.

OMG....I had NO FREAKING idea when I first got involved with the Deaf community at 28 years old..After years of being in it, I started realizing how very very very well connected it was. I was like :eek3:!

It does have its pros and cons. Important that one takes it all in stride and focus on the good as well as the bad. :)

With oral deaf kids, the trend is that when they hit 4th or 5th grade and are falling far behind, they get sent to the Deaf schools.

For those who have made it all the way, I knew a few who have become high school dropouts but then again there are some like me, who graduated with a degree.

As for certification of completation..never met an oral/mainstreamed deaf who got one. Maybe I did but they wont admit it. Dunno.

I met a deaf oral guy at my local food store a few days ago. He was begging for people to help him cash his food stamps. I saw a man tell him to excuse him and he told the man that he was sorry and that he was deaf and pointed to his hearing aide so I went up to him and started signed and speaking to him. He said he didnt know any sign language and asked if I was deaf. I said yes... and he asked me if I could help him cash his food stamps. I told him that I wouldnt do that because it was illegal. He asked me if I went to a Deaf school since I signed and all that..I said no..that I was mainstreamed. He said he was mainstreamed orally too and that he was glad he never went to a Deaf school because they were all retards. I kindly told him that I have many friends who went there and I have worked at some. I asked him why did he feel that way..he said oralism gave him mroe opportunities.

More opportunities? Asking people to cash his food stamps. Sure! I just siad, "yea more opportunities..sure! " and just walked away. He was so so so uneducated and ignorant. Not interested in befriending him if he is standing in front of the food store begging people to break the law. Not my kind of role model. No thanks.

I'd be insulted too. I dont' blame you for doing what you did.

Aww...that's too bad. Actually spaghetti in chili is a Cincinnati tradition.:giggle:

You aren't pulling my leg on that one, are you? I thought it tasted so good eventhough I saw one of the guys putting ketchup in it before serving it to us.

Take look in record of newpapers 5-7 years ago about FSDB. THEY ARE TOTALLY in MESS. STAFFS were Liars. I been there. I know. THey do anything to get what they want. They aint very helpful. Secondly like i said. FSDB need to be shut down. Period.

Why not revamped and improved? Seriously, the stuff you're complaining about really isn't that major. If it got improved it would be a very decent school, and even hearing kids would want to go there!

Why not revamped and improved? Seriously, the stuff you're complaining about really isn't that major. If it got improved it would be a very decent school, and even hearing kids would want to go there!

I would love to see links to the newspaper articles because 8 years ago, one of my former classmates at Gallaudet grad school did her internship there and loved it.

I would love to see links to the newspaper articles because 8 years ago, one of my former classmates at Gallaudet grad school did her internship there and loved it.

The only real bad publicity I remember while I was at FSD was in 1989, Regarding a death of a special needs student at FSDB. Jennifer Driggers.

What happened?

She was a special need student in the dorm that was scaled to death in a hot shower. HRS and the media jumped on it like fly on poop. They made it sound like FSDB was a house of horrors.

I will never forget it. I was a freshman that year.

that what you think. i told you i dont judge. i cant.

You already made a terrible judgement on FSDB. :roll:

Do not bother to mention a word to me cuz I had been to FSDB for a visit.

It is a great school. I made some good friends who graduated there at Gally and a few of them were Babyblue's classmates. :D

Two of my FSDB alumni friends have become lawyer and some FSDB alumnus went to become professors, teachers and positions which have made them well-respected and salaried.

She was a special need student in the dorm that was scaled to death in a hot shower. HRS and the media jumped on it like fly on poop. They made it sound like FSDB was a house of horrors.

Yup my friends told me about it. They told me that a single mother of that daughter sued the school and the state, but the lawsuit was thrown out on lack of merits and other evidences against her.

That's really too bad. :(

Yup my friends told me about it. They told me that a single mother of that daughter sued the school and the state, but the lawsuit was thrown out on lack of merits and other evidences against her.

Yup, The grand jury found No One at fault. :( It happened on the Day before Halloween in 1988.

I remember they shut down all the hot water at the school.

The girls dorm protested... because we did not have ANY hot water for a few days. We got tired of it and refuse to go to school til they turn the hot water back on. It took a few hours but they got it back on. :)

Back