I am so mad i can't think straight!!!!!!!!!

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am mad, shocked, and in utter disbelief right now. My DD is in more trouble than she can shake a stick at right now. She has been participating in a cookie sale and we found out today after a parent called that she had taken approximately $60 from the money envelope and took it to school and gave it away. She lied and said she found the money in her yellow purse. I am so angry right now I can't see straight. She is at church in her AWANA club at the moment and I am very seriously considering selling her Nintendo 3DS and her games to recoup the money as well as her iPod touch. There is also a spanking coming when she gets home. I don't have $60 to spare at the moment to replace the money taken out of the envelope but she will be pulled from GS for sure and she will never be allowed to participate in another candy/cookie sale ever again as she has only proven she is not trustworthy. What's bad is she is only 8. She is turning out too much like her father and I'm not liking it. Not at all. What do you guys think? She's also going to be grounded for a VERY long time.

Hold firm. Hold her accountable. It might be time to have a talk as to the reasons behind her behavior. Good luck, Dixie... this isn't going to be easy.

Not too sure about the "spanking"!....But I would make her pay the $$ back, along with an apology....ground her for 2 months...take away things that she enjoys doing also.

That was a lot of $$ for an 8 year old....and perhaps too much $$ to be trusted with. She just "gave it away"...so she did not spend it or lie about it as to where she could have bought other things with the $$....If you find out the kids names that she gave the $$ to, perhaps you an recoup some of it....as I'm sure they knew it was wrong also.

Selling her game to replace the $$$ is a good consequence. Just pick one form of consequence so the one I suggested is a "perfect punishment for the crime."

I went through a stage of stealing magazines from the store when I was around 10 years old and my mom made me return them to the store and apologize to the employees . Never stole again. I didn't get spanked. Nor yelled at. Just a lecture and going through the shame of my behavior .

Good luck!

Shel has a good point! DD needs to publicly apologize to the GS and give them an explanation.

Shel has a good point! DD needs to publicly apologize to the GS and give them an explanation.

That too. Dixie needs to replace the money so selling one of her games is a good consequence . Better than grounding or spanking.

I think you are overreacting and you're treating her like a criminal. You said she took $60 and gave it away. You have every rights to be angry at her but also at same time, she should know what she did was unacceptable and that it's as bad as betrayal because money is not hers.

Your punishment is whoa! Pretty excessive and harsh. She gave it away at school. To me... Better that than something worse like sex, drug, bullying, etc. I agree with shel's suggestion.

Right now, you are upset and angry. Wait til you calm down some before you take any actions.

Ask the parents of the kids who accepted the money to give it back.

And going back and remaining in the girl scouts and facing them and the leader every week, will actually be a consequence. If you take her out, she doesn't get to see the disapproval.

When she gets home we will be having a powwow and I am thinking we will sell the DS and her games to recoup the money and she will go before the troop to apologize and drop out of girl scouts. Just turn in the money, let her say what she needs to say and then leave.

When she gets home we will be having a powwow and I am thinking we will sell the DS and her games to recoup the money and she will go before the troop to apologize and drop out of girl scouts. Just turn in the money, let her say what she needs to say and then leave.

Why sell DS? It costs more than $60

Why make her drop out of Scouts? I can't quite get my head around the reasoning for that part of it.

It will drive the point home to sell something she really really likes. Besides what's the point of having the DS if she has no games for it?? Her games are the cheaper $5.00 and $6.00 games. The only expensive one she has is Super Mario 3D and Mario Kart 7. No one is going to pay $60 for those games as they are considered used.

Why make her drop out of Scouts? I can't quite get my head around the reasoning for that part of it.

Because this is where the money was taken from. This is easily grounds for expulsion from GS, even if we opted to try and stay in. Simply put, GS was/is a privilege. She abused that privilege so bye-bye GS.

It will drive the point home to sell something she really really likes. Besides what's the point of having the DS if she has no games for it?? Her games are the cheaper $5.00 and $6.00 games. The only expensive one she has is Super Mario 3D and Mario Kart 7. No one is going to pay $60 for those games as they are considered used.

Oic. Or you can make her come up with something enough to sell for $60.

It's hard for parents to know what to do when kids take a wrong turn - the punishment has to fit the crime as well as the child. Be open to hearing her explanation of her actions and then leave it sit for a bit (breathe) so you can react to the situation rather than just the emotions. I agree that paying back the money and offering an in person apology to the troop leaders is necessary. If GS has been a positive experience and influence on her, I would hesitate to pull her out (unless the leaders felt that was best). Good luck!

I think you are overreacting and you're treating her like a criminal. You said she took $60 and gave it away. You have every rights to be angry at her but also at same time, she should know what she did was unacceptable and that it's as bad as betrayal because money is not hers.

Your punishment is whoa! Pretty excessive and harsh. She gave it away at school. To me... Better that than something worse like sex, drug, bullying, etc. I agree with shel's suggestion.

Umm.... Theft IS a crime. Luckily it's a crime Dixie has the opportunity to deal with without the police being involved. Better a harsh punishment from mom now than a harsh punishment + criminal record from a judge later.

Good luck Dixie.

Because this is where the money was taken from. This is easily grounds for expulsion from GS, even if we opted to try and stay in. Simply put, GS was/is a privilege. She abused that privilege so bye-bye GS.

I would think they could be a help in teaching her not to do things like this in the future.

Good thinking. Plus if you only sell $60 worth of stuff that is hardly a lesson learned....

Dixie, take a deep breath and make sure you're calm before you see her. I understand selling her DS to pay the $60 but making her drop out of Girl Scouts too, I wouldn't do that. Girl Scouts is a positive influence which is what she needs, kids who are involved in after school activities tend to stay out of trouble more. If that's taken away, what will she have in its place?

Back