I am responsible for my son's hearing loss.

Thank you seb.
So if you don't mind, do you mind tell me what caused your initial HL?
And, does it progressed to a degree which you have to wear aids, or it was stable for 40 years?
I think the reason for the initial HL played a big rule.

Originally diagnosed with inherited high frequency hearing loss. Later it was changed indicating possible cause was measles and mumps within a one month time period at age 4.

My hearing loss progressed slowly over the 40 years and I finally got HA after I tried on my sisters HA's and found out what I was missing! My sister lost hear hearing to many years at the auto races with her husband with no hearing protection.

Basically everyone looses some hearing ability as they age and if you have already lost some hearing when you are young you have less to lose as you age.

Get a grip, lady. Your son's hearing "loss" is nothing. 2K: 25dbHL, 4K: 25dBHL? Sheesh, I wish I had those numbers.

I feel sorry for your son. Not because of his VERY mild hearing loss, but because he has a mom who thinks any little thing wrong with him is the end of the world.

You come off as very rude. You feel sorry for the son because his Mom worries about him? How awful of that mother! I didn't see where the mother worries about "any little thing". And I'm sorry that the son doesn't have a hearing loss as bad as yours. Didn't realize it was a contest. And maybe in the future his hearing loss will be as bad as your and you can rejoice! You also come off as a little jealous or envious, "I wish I had those numbers". You feel sorry for her son? I feel sorry for your mother, who raised someone to be rude.

You come off as very rude. You feel sorry for the son because his Mom worries about him? How awful of that mother! I didn't see where the mother worries about "any little thing". And I'm sorry that the son doesn't have a hearing loss as bad as yours. Didn't realize it was a contest. And maybe in the future his hearing loss will be as bad as your and you can rejoice! You also come off as a little jealous or envious, "I wish I had those numbers". You feel sorry for her son? I feel sorry for your mother, who raised someone to be rude.

Oh be quiet. LoveBlue is concerned for what the son's mental status will be with this kind of obsession by the mother.

She comes off as someone who is trying to get through to the mother so the son may hopefully avoid a lot of the long term damage that too many of us know only too well.

Walk a mile in our shoes first.

Wow. Who's being rude here? LoveBlue never said it was a contest. But anybody who understands what decibel levels mean in what makes a difference in hearing knows what those numbers mean. Wow ... Just ... wow ... I don't pretend to understand what it's like for someone who is missing an arm or leg, or anything else, so I would never, ever judge. Yet you, as a hearing person, can feel you can judge based on numbers. Okay.

Wow. Who's being rude here? LoveBlue never said it was a contest. But anybody who understands what decibel levels mean in what makes a difference in hearing knows what those numbers mean. Wow ... Just ... wow ... I don't pretend to understand what it's like for someone who is missing an arm or leg, or anything else, so I would never, ever judge. Yet you, as a hearing person, can feel you can judge based on numbers. Okay.

Thank you. At first, i was puzzled as if she is a late deaf or something. but I found out that shes hearning and learning ASL. I see why now.

Do you have children?

Oh be quiet. LoveBlue is concerned for what the son's mental status will be with this kind of obsession by the mother.

She comes off as someone who is trying to get through to the mother so the son may hopefully avoid a lot of the long term damage that too many of us know only too well.

Walk a mile in our shoes first.

you got that right gal,damage my mother cause if I think about it to much then my life be consumed in bitterness and insanity.
What done is done now let boy live ordinary childhood

The mother is losing sleep over this , that is not doing her son any good . Worrying is only wasted time that could be used enjoying her son , the mother should treating her child just any other child and not be crying over him 24/7 . She is acting like her son was given a death sentence . My mom worry about me a lot and I hated it , no one like to have someone worrying about them all the time unless that person has problems . It drove me nuts having my mom being a worrywart and made her sick .
it did me no good ands is made my mom sick. You can't think clearly when you're worrying all the time b/c everything looks so hopeless. And this child is NOT hopeless , he need to be told he can do anything he want to do. And I want to made is clear I am NOT jealous of this in any may shape or form . My mom kept her 4 kids in a playpen in the back yard so we could not get 'dirty 'or fall down and get hurt. I had nightmares about the damn playpen! I hated having my mom worrying all the time.

Last edited:
I wish I could LOVE this post! ^^^^ I get being worried about your child....but your child can do anything except hear.....New, you act like it's a punishment from God....How do you know that He didn't cause the loss to help you see that something that appears to be bad and horrible, might actually be something that helps you see your world in a different light?
Of all the things your kid could have ended up with, being mildly HOH is NOTHING!

Hi!
It's natural for parents to beat themselves senseless over what happens to their children, and blame themselves for every little thing that went wrong.

Of course you'd blame herself for your son's hearing loss.
But exactly how do you know for sure it's the ome that caused this? you don't.
the doctor DID said your son could have as well be born with it.

You will never know for sure, but please keep in mind though
it very easily could have been like it was with me- I was most likely born with SNHL, (my hl didn't show until I was 5y.o)
and the many ear infections followed me many, many times throughout my life.
in fact, popped up even as late as in my fifties, so... I doubt you are to blame for your son's HL. i really doubt.

What's done is done. no point crying over the spilled milk, what's important now is to find good care for your son.
Really,!!, it's not terrible to live without hearing,
it's just you hear so you can't imagine what's like but for us, living w/o this sense is normal.
Just educate yourself about HL, get in contact with some deaf and Deaf and in no time you'll be wondering what't the upset was about :)

Fuzzy

you done all the in depth study so you know more than us..if you keep doing pity party he will resent you just let him be a kid that as much we all can do

Most of us, d/Deafies, are always being blunt to tell the truth about our hearing loss. We don't think of being rude to hearing people but it seem to be that hearing people think that we are rude. I bet you that any disability people can be really blunt to able bodied people or normal people about their handicapped or disabilities. This is the fact of telling the truth that hearing people have to learn to accept their child's hearing loss (have different degrees of hearing loss). So get real. You have lots to learn about us. :naughty:

Thank you all for the help.

My biggest worry is, whether his loss is progressive. I am afraid one day he may not hear anything. I know this probably won't happen. However, im kind of person always prepare for the worst, this makes me sick.

I checked his tubes, they are dry and clean, so no fluid after July, which is a good thing, but doesn't explain why there are still 10-15db air bone gap.

In that case, if it IS progressive, your entire family could learn ASL/Cued Speech etc.
Your son probably won't need a specialized school or even dhh classes (do they even have those in Canada?) but it's possible he could benefit from attending Deaf Camp where he could learn ASL and get to know other dhh kids.

In that case, if it IS progressive, your entire family could learn ASL/Cued Speech etc.

Your son probably won't need a specialized school or even dhh classes (do they even have those in Canada?) but it's possible he could benefit from attending Deaf Camp where he could learn ASL and get to know other dhh kids.

One of the issues I have with you constantly promoting deaf camps is that everyone knows you cannot possibly learn ASL in one or even two weeks. It is a much more longer process than that.

One of the issues I have with you constantly promoting deaf camps is that everyone knows you cannot possibly learn ASL in one or even two weeks. It is a much more longer process than that.

I never implied otherwise..It's a language, just like Spanish, French, etc .....But the thing is deaf camps could be the spark that starts the road to fluency.....and I mean immersion with ASL at a Deaf camp, is definitely going to prove a lot more helpful then say looking at a website, or a once a week class.

Why should someone feel sorry for a person being deaf, hoh or blind ??? So you like having people pitying you for being deaf or hoh? .

Why should someone feel sorry for a person being deaf, hoh or blind ??? So you like having people pitying you for being deaf or hoh? .

AMEN! There's NOTHING to pity about the condition of being dhh, blind or a wheelchair user. ALL it is, is an alternative condition.

And BTW, it's even possible that your son might not even NEED all of this stuff.... We recognize you're worried and concerned......but, it's just a very mild hearing loss.

Back