i am not a terp

busybee

Reaction score
Question: I work at a store and my coworkers know that I am hard of hearing. I do not know sign language, my hearing loss happened within the last few years. Since I earn minimum wage, I don't have the money to sign up for (really expensive!) sign language classes. Sometimes when Deaf customers come into the store, my coworkers send them over to me, like I can help them better (this is not true). I know my alphabet and that's about it. I want to learn some sign language so I got a book from the library but I know I'm doing it wrong. Does anybody here know of a way that I can learn some basic "How can I help you?" type of conversation for cheap or free? I live in Kansas City.

A few people on this site recommended that I try
Lifeprint.com and asltrainer.com. Lifeprint is really good for learning the basic common words.

Classes are definitely the best way to learn like Bott suggested.

Ugh I know the feeling. At my work they hired a new guy ( super nice) he only signs and little speech reading. They told me they expected me to interpret for him. :shock: Okay,I don't know many signs and just because I am profound doesn't mean I can sign. People are so inconsiderate. I speech read and now that I have hearing aids I speech read lol :laugh2:

As far as learning. I'm in same boat no money for night classes no time for free classes ( m-f I'm at work) so I watch videos online . That's the plan for this afternoon me and my kiddos watching ASL videos. Plus I have a little fire under my bum to learn. ( Id like to not have to just speech read *headache*)

Ugh I know the feeling. At my work they hired a new guy ( super nice) he only signs and little speech reading. They told me they expected me to interpret for him. :shock: Okay,I don't know many signs and just because I am profound doesn't mean I can sign. People are so inconsiderate. I speech read and now that I have hearing aids I speech read lol :laugh2:
Tell them that you are not qualified to interpret, and if they want to stay within the law they need to hire a qualified interpreter.

BTW, interpreting isn't listed on your job description, is it?

Question: I work at a store and my coworkers know that I am hard of hearing. I do not know sign language, my hearing loss happened within the last few years. Since I earn minimum wage, I don't have the money to sign up for (really expensive!) sign language classes. Sometimes when Deaf customers come into the store, my coworkers send them over to me, like I can help them better (this is not true). I know my alphabet and that's about it. I want to learn some sign language so I got a book from the library but I know I'm doing it wrong. Does anybody here know of a way that I can learn some basic "How can I help you?" type of conversation for cheap or free? I live in Kansas City.

I've had people at work do that to me too like somehow I was the poster girl for the community or something. I just say to my bosses, "When I stop speaking English, get back to me." Finally the idiots got the message I couldn't sign. Some people are just too stupid to figure out the obvious. If you live near a deaf school, maybe you could contact them. Sometimes they offer "cheaper" classes. Or you could try learning online but it's really better to do in person, just as with any other language.

No interpreting is not in my job description.
I'm in the accounting department. I've had many problems where I work like being screamed at by boss while talking to me like im 3 ( even coworkers find this awful for me) One lady keeps telling me at least your not like "new guy " could be worse. I find that offensive,he's smart ,nice ,he just signs .Not that much different from me) I told her if I don't have my aids in I am just like him!
I'm becoming less tolerable of them the more I work there lol

dont you get any type of rehabiltation in america if go deaf, is it possible to try get it,ask deaf charities.it do seem very unfair

Sign Language Classes

Check with these people. Many times deaf people can study free. They can at least refer you somewhere.

dont you get any type of rehabiltation in america if go deaf, is it possible to try get it,ask deaf charities.it do seem very unfair

Yes you can. And this is what my link is meant to show her.

Of course it isn't for mildly hard of hearing people, and that may be the case as to why she hasn't been referred by some agency in her state.

Thanks for the ideas! I don't live too far from KSD, about 40 min. I don't know why but I've always been a little intimidated by the place. Boobookitty, I feel you on the speechreading! At the end of my shift, especially on a busy weekend, I just want a stiff drink and to go to bed. It would be nice to know sign, I really like to be with people and hanging out but communication zonks me and leaves me exhausted. Then I just need to get all my friends to learn it and we'd be set. Who's with me!

Last edited:
Back