I Am Going Deaf!?

Daminx

Reaction score
my hearing seems to gotten worse again, I have my appointment this coming Wednesday but it is for listening strategies rather than my actual ears since I had been wrongly diagnosed with auditory processing disorder. Do they ask "has your hearing changed in any way since the last appointments?"? I am not sure the audiologist is going to believe me! He already thinks I am a nutcase! Help!

Anyway I am starting to struggle a little on the phone, I have to strain to hear the TV, I can't understand lyrics in newer songs, soft speaking people are hard to hear especially my mom who sits quite a distance away from me in the living room, once I turn my back and someone talks to me, I can't understand them. I have misheard people so many times and got given weird looks due to my inappropriate responses, been asked when is my next appointment by my dad after mishearing something, got told in a joking way that I am deaf, been laughed at for mishearing and talking about being hard of hearing by my classmate who doesn't understand it. I think I stopped a deaf person coming to college by getting worser hearing when I said it was fine before, actually I told her I was hard of hearing and she was understanding but once I actually got a problem, she probeily thinks I am attention seeking but she has actually told me " you need hearing aids if you can't hear the bus driver!" I feel like a nutcase and a freak! I feel like it's in my head and I am not actually hard of hearing but why am I having problems!?

God for you Daminx!!
welcome aboard...

we always have more room in eyeth (not a typo for those who dont know...) for another...

use CC for t.v. (no struggle)
txt for phone....(no struggle)
you wanna get retro find a tty...(the lime green txt is still badass even now)...

Your Not a nutcase!! your NOT a freak!!
Daminx. never let anyone tell you or make you feel otherwise...

you becoming Deaf is not a disorder!! nor illness..you are not broken..in need of repair.

the plms you are facing and experiencing are those of the hearie world not accepting you and being cruel to you...

it will get allot worse
before it gets better.

the best advice i can give you
find Deafies around you or close enough to you, and connect with them..(i think you know that already after all you are here on allDeaf)

and of course learn Sign.

good to see...

I'm curious, why you think you've been incorrectly diagnosed with APD ?

here is an award winning vid, (drama), that i think fits the discussion.
hope it finds you well.

BSL english cc

I'm curious, why you think you've been incorrectly diagnosed with APD ?

Because my hearing has gotten worse after the so called diagnosis where my hearing was presumingly fine at the time, but even I am not sure.

Have you not been to the Audiologist? They would perform many test and tell you for sure.

As it would be hard to mistake deafness for APD due to APD is more that you cannot hear things due to an overload of other sounds.

As it would be hard to mistake deafness for APD due to APD is more that you cannot hear things due to an overload of other sounds.

I Have APD as well as being Hoh/ Deaf.
APD is a neurological condition which effects how the brain is able to hear, process and understand sounds. While it certainly does mean that we have difficulty (read: impossibility) sorting sounds in loud environments, it's much, more complicated that.

It's entirely possible that the OP has APD along with HL.

I Have APD as well as being Hoh/ Deaf.
APD is a neurological condition which effects how the brain is able to hear, process and understand sounds. While it certainly does mean that we have difficulty (read: impossibility) sorting sounds in loud environments, it's much, more complicated that.

It's entirely possible that the OP has APD along with HL.

Interesting. Thanks for the additional info :thumb:

I'm another -hoh with possible <likely as I have other LD's and my history matches APD patterns> APD.

Back