I am getting a service dog!

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
I haven't been around AD for awhile because I have been having a lot of heath problems...I'll know early this week what is really going on (we think it is autoimmune).

My doctor approved a service dog for me to help with my balance and alerting to changes in my medical condition. I am very excited. :)

I made a website about it - please visit and read about me and my fundraising!
If you click on the picture ads on the pages, I receive a small donation. :)

Thanks, everyone!

An Amazing Tail - waiting for my service dog

That's wonderful! Congrats! :D I have a guide dog myself (my second) and I can't imagine my life without a dog. :)

I dont need it at this moment but I do have a new puppy and he help me to let me know someone is at the door that all the matter to me.

I haven't been around AD for awhile because I have been having a lot of heath problems...I'll know early this week what is really going on (we think it is autoimmune).

My doctor approved a service dog for me to help with my balance and alerting to changes in my medical condition. I am very excited. :)

I made a website about it - please visit and read about me and my fundraising!
If you click on the picture ads on the pages, I receive a small donation. :)

Thanks, everyone!

An Amazing Tail - waiting for my service dog

Hey! That's awesome! I want one too....but I really feel good that you are getting one. You'll have to show pics of him/her and tell us it's name!

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited. It will learning how to do a lot of things for me. Some hearing, mobility, balance, opening heavy doors, let me know if I'm about to have a migraine or panic attack. I will definitely have pictures. Definitely please visit my website and visit the sponsors (click on the picture ads). We have raised $28 so far! It doesn't sound like a lot, but every bit helps!

Erica

I just wanted to update everyone...we changed the sponsors around (the picture ads are gone - only text ads now) so people will find things more relevant and interesting to themselves....

Fundraising is going well...doctors think I have fibromyalgia, so we'll see what happens. :)

Thank you for everyone's support! :ty:

Congrats! Erica

I recieved my Hearing Ear Dog last June shes a 3yr old pure bred black lab and I got her through the Lions Foundation Of Canada in Oakville Ontario. Sue Thomas recieved her last dog Katie from there also as she is 1/2 Canadian. I don't know what life would be like with out Ember now as she alerts me to so many things that I need to know. My friends started a support site for people with service dogs and thoughs who are waiting to get them. The are links on the site for dog guide services where you can get dogs at no cost to you what so ever it would be worth looking into. So here is the link Welcome to HEDHunters.org . Good luck in getting your dog and take care

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. My dog will not be primarily for hearing alerts. The dog is being trained to support me in mobility (balance and momentum for walking), retrieving objects, opening and closing heavy doors, and for medical alerts (ie: alert me to oncoming symptoms caused by my diagnoses). It will learn a few sound responses, but that will not be the dog's primary job.

Thank you for sharing the link with me. I appreciate all of the information I am getting from valuable first-hand sources!

Thank you to everyone who is viewing my website and visiting the sponsors! I am getting almost 75 visitors daily! That is amazing!

Thank you for your support! Please keep visiting and pass the site along! There is a section in the blog that discusses how to behave around service dogs that everyone should read. ;-)

Best,

Erica
http://anamazingtail.synthasite.com/

Congrats on getting qualified for the assistance of a dog to help you with daily activities of living.

I myself would consider a hearing dog for myself if I ever moved out on my own again to a house or an apartment. I would prefer a dog to alert me to the phone ringing, my alarm going off on my cell phone (mom had to wake me up one morning because I didnt hear my alarm go off), someone at the door, the oven beeping, the microwave beeping, and if there's an odd sound that I don't hear that needs noticing. Basically I would need a dog that has done sound work and would simply alert me to certain sounds by pawing on my lap and taking me to the source of the sound where I will give him praise or a treat depending on the type of training method used.

Dixie -
Have you ever thought about training your own hearing dog? I know there are some good books out about training a hearing ear dog. One is called "Lend me an Ear". It discusses how to choose a dog with the right temperament too.

Dixie -
Have you ever thought about training your own hearing dog? I know there are some good books out about training a hearing ear dog. One is called "Lend me an Ear". It discusses how to choose a dog with the right temperament too.
Sadly, this book is out of print. You can get it on Amazon but they are charging ridiculous amounts of money. The author has another book on the way. Public libraries sometimes carry a copy so if you need the selection info, that might be where you could get it.

Meanwhile, Dixie if you ARE interested in thinking about training your own dog, check out our blog. That's who its created for. We don't have anything on sound alerts-yet- but it's coming!

Crazy story - I actually bought that book about 1 1/2 years ago when I started losing my hearing. I bought it for about $7. I never ended up using it, just reading it. I hopped on Amazon.com to sell some textbooks, etc and typed that book in to sell it. Imagine my surprise when the lowest list price was $98!!

I ended up selling it in under 24 hours for $95. If I still had it, I would have offered it to you Dixie for the price I paid (who pays $95 for a book??). I'm glad to hear a new one is on the way, it was definitely full of valuable information.

Erica

Don,
how long did it take you to get a hearing dog? I also live in Durham and have been considering it.
ps - sorry for bumping an old thread, did want to start a new one
*EQL*

Back