I am considering Gallaudet University

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
But I cannot afford the tuition. I hear that it is 20 grand per semester and even FAFSA won't begin to cover that amount of tuition required. And grants will be hard to get. I need a full 4 year scholarship but how do I get a scholarship being that I am 31 and it's been a long time since I've been in a college. I really want to go to Gallaudet. Plus I want to relocate to D.C. because of the amount of the Deaf GLBT in the community there from what I hear. The Deaf GLBT community here is quite small despite the size of San Antonio plus I am sick of the Deaf people here, they have been horrible to me so far, in fact I had to move out today at night because of the drama and how mean my deaf roommates were to me. I am currently living with my aunt and uncle on their couch. Never again will I roommate with anyone. I like living alone so I will not mind a studio apartment as opposed to a one bedroom place. Living in the dorm is okay as long as the RA is not irresponsible.

what about VR support?

I thought VR didn't pay for out of state college tuition?

they'll balk at it first and prefer that you do it in-state but they do pay for deaf schools like Gally or RIT.

I mean i understand why you wanna go to gally, but doesn't texas provide free education for the deaf?

I mean i understand why you wanna go to gally, but doesn't texas provide free education for the deaf?

yes - only in Texas but it appears that she would like a change in scenario.

But I cannot afford the tuition. I hear that it is 20 grand per semester and even FAFSA won't begin to cover that amount of tuition required. And grants will be hard to get. I need a full 4 year scholarship but how do I get a scholarship being that I am 31 and it's been a long time since I've been in a college. I really want to go to Gallaudet. Plus I want to relocate to D.C. because of the amount of the Deaf GLBT in the community there from what I hear. The Deaf GLBT community here is quite small despite the size of San Antonio plus I am sick of the Deaf people here, they have been horrible to me so far, in fact I had to move out today at night because of the drama and how mean my deaf roommates were to me. I am currently living with my aunt and uncle on their couch. Never again will I roommate with anyone. I like living alone so I will not mind a studio apartment as opposed to a one bedroom place. Living in the dorm is okay as long as the RA is not irresponsible.

Hello Lucia,

I'm former Gallaudet student and had to withdrew from this university due to medical reason.

That's true about Gallaudet isn't cheaper but much worse in other universities like Howard University.

You need discuss with VR counselor about Gallaudet and I believe VR in Texas will cover everything that you need because I met some students from Texas so most of their expenses are taken care by VR and FAFSA. The VR in CA will only pay tuition, book and supplies but meal and dorm are on your own. The VR in AL and GA cover everything that you need and they will pay plane ticket for you too. The VR in MD and FL are terrible and they don't cover much that you need. The effective of VR is varies by state to other state, the VR will change in every years when state legislature or congress make cut the spending or increase the spending. The financial aid at Gallaudet will looking for all scholarships as possible and they found one scholarship for me, that's more than enough to cover the expenses.

If you have Medicare so you don't need buy health insurance under university plan.

There are sizable of students with CI and I haven't hear any bullying or harassment against students with CI. Gallaudet take bullying and harassment very seriously, even DPS too. I hope that you find a good crowd because some crowds are too drama and some other crowds are very mature. I'm sure that you will make a lot of friends with older freshmen but younger freshmen are very drama and immature so it isn't difficult to deal with them because I scared immature freshmen away.

I'm not sure about your ACT/SAT score and when you get accepted to Gallaudet so they may require you to enroll Jumpstart program - Academic Success if ACT/SAT score is low (like less than 20 for ACT) or haven't been in college for very long time.

Speaking about dorm, because of your age, you will be likely to live in Carlin Hall. I'm not recommended you to sleep in Benson Hall because they are one of worst dorm ever with much noise, fighting, drama, wrestling, pick on others, bump the elevator, dirty bathroom and too much garbage on floor. I heard about Carlin Hall, Ballard West and Benson Hall are under renovation all summer to modernize it. Peet Hall will be gone in few years.

It's $25k per semester on everything. That was new update I hear it from someone at Las Vegas.

I recommend you visit there first to see how you like it there before you make your official decision to move there or not.

You need to have good grades to get in. However you're 31, and you are already on your own for a while. You don't have much money, so you need to look into community colleges first in order to get your good grades and complete your required classes (General Education). Community colleges are affordable than universities. You will be given opportunities to apply for scholarships, so you can attend Gally eventually.

What's wrong with Austin? Austin is only one hour away from you. It is a decent city with many Deafies there.

I am a Gallaudet graduate and will be continuing my education at Emory Law School to obtain my JD/MDiv. The above advice is well given - talk to your local VR.

I also might decide to get my Masters in Deaf Ed. Uncertain right now.

Hello Lucia, Don't be discouraged about your prospects to enrolled at Gally. I am Proud Gally Alumni and my experiences and education received there were memorable and I would recommend it you
GO and get your Gally experiences as it's once in a Lifetime opportunity you won't let it pass.
There are indeed many scholarship opportunities you will find. Just give it a TRY and you will be glad
you did. Good luck. Will be happy to advise further as I am in TX now.
Cheers. :) .

OBJECTION! It's set price from Dec 14, 2011.

Attempt to twist my post failed and I'm not stupid. ;)

It said last revised on Dec 14, 2011 so the cost of attendance is on their offical website.

Also, I'm former Gally student too.

Yes, it's possible for them to pay. It depends on the client.

I'm from Texas and my VR paid for my tuition, room, and board for RIT. :)

For my first quarter in RIT, they paid for half of everything. I made an agreement that if I did well, they would pay full.

So, that first quarter... I made the dean's list. With that, I got full support for the remaining of my bachelor's degree. :)

Why does it depend on the student?

Well, some students have a long history of not doing well in school. That makes VR counselors hesitate with providing support. Some counselors don't like paying for out-of-state colleges since they cost more. Some students did horrible with VR support and kept dropping/flunking out of college... that they cut support and won't consider it in the future.

If you have a good past and/or can show that you can do well and be committed to staying in college, then you could get support.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I suggest you have everything researched, prepared, and ready before meeting with a VR counselor. That will show them that you know what you want, your expected graduation date, your goals/future, etc.

Give them a good reason to support you. :thumb:

Yes, it's possible for them to pay. It depends on the client.

I'm from Texas and my VR paid for my tuition, room, and board for RIT. :)

For my first quarter in RIT, they paid for half of everything. I made an agreement that if I did well, they would pay full.

So, that first quarter... I made the dean's list. With that, I got full support for the remaining of my bachelor's degree. :)

Why does it depend on the student?

Well, some students have a long history of not doing well in school. That makes VR counselors hesitate with providing support. Some counselors don't like paying for out-of-state colleges since they cost more. Some students did horrible with VR support and kept dropping/flunking out of college... that they cut support and won't consider it in the future.

If you have a good past and/or can show that you can do well and be committed to staying in college, then you could get support.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I suggest you have everything researched, prepared, and ready before meeting with a VR counselor. That will show them that you know what you want, your expected graduation date, your goals/future, etc.

Give them a good reason to support you. :thumb:
Not in my case, I graduated from NTID with AAS degree. I got 4.0 GPA most of the quarters. Then I wanted to transfer to RIT for a bachelor's degree so I requested for another financial aid from my VR but the counselor said no because her boss said no due to VR policy that allowed them to pay for any training program that offered up to AAS. I was shocked so I told her to go fuvk herself and that I would go to a different VR in another city but she told me that a VR in a different city wouldn't help me because I was not a resident of that city. Next time I brought a friend who knew alot about Section 504 to her office so again she talked to her evil boss who continued to say no. My friend was shocked as well. That was in Atlantic City, NJ a long time ago.

I am a Gallaudet graduate and will be continuing my education at Emory Law School to obtain my JD/MDiv. The above advice is well given - talk to your local VR.

I also might decide to get my Masters in Deaf Ed. Uncertain right now.

I am a Gallaudet graduate as well. I already have a Masters in Deaf Education. :)

Lucia, VR can pay for schooling at Gallaudet University, but keep in mind that VR is working with a constrained budget so there is a high chance that they might pay only half with you paying the other half either with money out of your pockets and/or with student loans.

Also, VR is much stricter these days as they most of the time will not pay for a high schooler to go to Gallaudet/RIT upon graduation from high school without first proving themselves worthy by passing courses at a local college.

Not in my case, I graduated from NTID with AAS degree. I got 4.0 GPA most of the quarters. Then I wanted to transfer to RIT for a bachelor's degree so I requested for another financial aid from my VR but the counselor said no because her boss said no due to VR policy that allowed them to pay for any training program that offered up to AAS. I was shocked so I told her to go fuvk herself and that I would go to a different VR in another city but she told me that a VR in a different city wouldn't help me because I was not a resident of that city. Next time I brought a friend who knew alot about Section 504 to her office so again she talked to her evil boss who continued to say no. My friend was shocked as well. That was in Atlantic City, NJ a long time ago.
Really? I knew a few people that were from NJ and they had full support. It depends on where you go.

I do know that VR counselors usually limit their support to one degree or up to 4 or 5 years.

Some students at NTID would take 7 years just to get an AAS degree. Because of that, they were denied support when they wanted to continue for a BS degree.

Really? I knew a few people that were from NJ and they had full support. It depends on where you go.

I do know that VR counselors usually limit their support to one degree or up to 4 or 5 years.

Some students at NTID would take 7 years just to get an AAS degree. Because of that, they were denied support when they wanted to continue for a BS degree.

If people want to transfer to another college and continue to get support from VR, VR will have to write a new degree plan. Some VR will not be lenient to do so as they will say the time frame to obtain degrees with VR's support has expired. This is why I always have told students to be prudent with their time and take education seriously.

Back