I am a hearing mom of a deaf child, i have a question.

This is a great thread. I love it when parents try hard to immerse themselves in understanding their child's deafness. I don't have anything new to add to this thread since it looks like it was well covered above. Have fun with your children. :) (I am deaf since birth, so I imagine my parents encountered many of the same things.)

For sure Maggie and Gemma are too beautiful for words. As soon as I saw them, I thought, Cute+M and Cute+G.

All advice above is great, and I especially like Reba's. My sis was born deaf and first named us all with initials.

I was born with a prominent chin, so she named me C-on-the-chin as a baby. It didn't take me long to complain about my deaf name being on the female part of the face. Thank goodness my big sis had a better name ready because I always chased after my big brother B and my uncles G and D on the farm.

I've been Chase ever since--one thumb galloping after the other: :yesway::yesway:

You're right- don't worry about her not speaking. As I understand it from my own life I don't think I uttered my first word til after I was 2; I got my body aid around 2 then Mom started the whole John Tracy thing (still have the binder and all...). At that time Oral vs ASL were firmly in their camps on opposite ends.. so parents went with what they thought best (plus PSD rejected me on the basis of either "they didn't work with multi handicapped kids" or they labeled me as mentally retarded- which I am not- just happened that I used markers instead of pencils- easier to see).

Glad to see you are very active :) Mom was also- story is that she was a "marshmallow" then became a "tiger" (or Dragon Lady...) after I was born lol.

Thank you for your support, Maggies normal shaped ear has moderate to severe hearing loss and then no hearing on her microtia side , so that's why we are trying so hard to give her every chance she can at language skills, at 19 months old she still isn't speaking and while i know that all kids speak at different times she hasn't said any actual words yet...but she had signend many words that she truly knows the meaning off like bath, milk when she wants to nurse, more, and eat and dad. And you might be a mind reader we have been looking into moving closer to Spartanburg when the school is located at!
That would be amazing! I know a parent who took the plunge with that school for her kids, and while historically it wasn't a great school, she was pleasantly surprised. Maybe a good idea might be to look at other Deaf Schools too. There are actually some schools where the parents move from out of state

Back