HypoThyroid Disease (I have it)

That must be a shock to recieve such diagnosis, but thankfully, it's not worse. And you can manage this condition. Better than recieving news that you have cancer etc. Hope you'll feel better after the body adjusts to the medicine.
Rest well and keep your chin up.

Wondering if it's a good idea to have your daughter tested for the condition as she gets older?

It struck me odd that many of Aders who have this condition are women.
I'm going to make sure she gets tested as well when she gets older.

Yes its very true.. there's a higher percentage of women who has it than men. fact.

I know its safe to say.. it isn't cancer. but I feel for those who has all kinds of cancers. its pretty scary.

also.. I'd like to add.. I had my blood test done 2 years ago for thyroid. it came out negative and ended up having low iron so I had to have a b 12 injection. so.. remember i said.. my thyroid test was negative just 2 years ago. anything is possible within 2 years of time.

I'm just saying.. make sure everyone gets tested like they should.

Hi, RebelGirl: I'm sorry about so scary a time. My mom has hypothyroid for years and she is great. She works full-time, runs, and always busy, busy, busy. Before she received thyroid medication she was tired and felt bad. Then she was normal with only one time she needed increase in her medication.

Maybe you read this website?

From EndocrineWeb.Com: Hypothyroidism - Too little hormone

This is part about how serious underactive can be:

Potential Dangers of Hypothyroidism

Because the body is expecting a certain amount of thyroid hormone the pituitary will make additional thyroid-stimulating-hormone (TSH) in an attempt to entice the thyroid to produce more hormone. This constant bombardment with high levels of TSH may cause the thyroid gland to become enlarged and form a goiter (termed a "compensatory goiter"). Our goiter page goes into this topic in detail, and outlines that a deficiency of thyroid hormone is a common cause of goiter formation. Left untreated, the symptoms of hypothyroidism will usually progress. Rarely, complications can result in severe life-threatening depression, heart failure or coma.

AND

From MayoClinic.Com: Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland)

Complications

Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a number of health problems:

* Goiter. Constant stimulation of your thyroid to release more hormones may cause the gland to become larger — a condition known as goiter. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is one of the most common causes of a goiter. Although generally not uncomfortable, a large goiter can affect your appearance and may interfere with swallowing or breathing.
* Heart problems. Hypothyroidism may also be associated with an increased risk of heart disease, primarily because high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol — the "bad" cholesterol — can occur in people with an underactive thyroid. Even subclinical hypothyroidism, a more benign condition than true hypothyroidism, can cause an increase in total cholesterol levels and impair the pumping ability of your heart. Hypothyroidism can also lead to an enlarged heart and heart failure.
* Mental health issues. Depression may occur early in hypothyroidism and may become more severe over time. Hypothyroidism can also cause slowed mental functioning.
* Myxedema. This rare, life-threatening condition is the result of long-term, undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Its symptoms include intense cold intolerance and drowsiness followed by profound lethargy and unconsciousness. A myxedema coma may be triggered by sedatives, infection or other stress on your body. If you have symptoms of myxedema, you need immediate emergency medical treatment.
* Birth defects. Babies born to women with untreated thyroid disease may have a higher risk of birth defects than do babies born to healthy mothers. These children are more prone to serious intellectual and developmental problems.
Infants with untreated hypothyroidism present at birth are also at risk of serious problems with both physical and mental development. But if the condition is diagnosed within the first few months of life, the chances of normal development are excellent.

BUT please read this part: The good news is that accurate thyroid function tests are available to diagnose hypothyroidism, and treatment of hypothyroidism with synthetic thyroid hormone is usually simple and effective once the proper dosage is established.

I hope these articles aren't so scary for you but I wanted to answer your question "How serious can underactive be?". :)

P.S. I love your avatar - it is my favorite!

thanks for the compliment about my avatar. ;)

also.. I'd like to add.. I had my blood test done 2 years ago for thyroid. it came out negative and ended up having low iron so I had to have a b 12 injection. so.. remember i said.. my thyroid test was negative just 2 years ago. anything is possible within 2 years of time.

yes rebel i did had the test and will might to have blood test in end of month to check my level when i have the appointment smile

low iron? Interesting... I learn from you for a first time because I know most women suffers low iron during pregnancy. I am one of them during two pregnancies. It could be rare that the people suffers low iron when they are not pregnant?

Yes I take thyroid test twice a year since 2001. At first they give me thyriod pill with 50 mg and few years later then gain up to 75 mg thru my thyriod level. My thyroid level remains since 2003. Took pill 30 minutes before breakfast rest of my life... If I forget to take one then my body goes crazy like tired and lazy... feel like to sleep all the day.

Katin, interesting link... I never thought it could lead life-treatening. I feel normal as usual only if I don't miss one pill.

Rebel,

Realistically, life threatning dangers are extremely low. The daily symptoms are the most cumbersome and troublesome to deal with. Factually those with hypothyroidism have only 0.1% chance to experience a myxedema crisis, and those who do are mostly elderly persons with a trauma, severe infection, or other significant comorbidity wil have chance at experiencing this.

So, with supervision of MD, you can titrate the levothyroxine dose which will greatly help negate some of the low T4 levels. I know somebody was saying that healthy lifestyle, eating, exercise could help "reverse" the disease process. This is wrong to a point. Like I said none of this will replace the vital metabolic regulatory hormone (thyroxine) except for thyroxine.....but like anybody who lives a lifestyle that is healthy, it can be beneficial to long term outlook. fitness and proper diet will help boost energy (hypothyroid frequently causes fatigue and lethargy) and assist with increasing peripheral circulation. (hypothyroidism often results in decreased peripheral blood circulation resulting in being cold all the time chills, etc)

I don't know what else to say about it right now, but am happy to answer any specifics you have questions on. OK

Hakuna Matata, OK

I don't think so.

I am the one in the whole family who have it. :dunno2:

Oh, wow.. very interestin'. Hmm ...

Know what, Lieblin' ? I have high blood pressure, startin' from last year and I am on blood pressure meds for life. My whole family side don't have it, either. My doctor told me to cut down salt intake to which that I did. So far, I don't take meds and I try to eat raw vegetables and fruits. No canned. It contains some salt in it. There's some foods that I can not take due to salt. So, I am usin' herbs/spices instead of usin' salt.

Hypothyroid disease is new to me and I would like to learn somethin' about it from this thread.

Back