Huscurian, HOH Dude from Texas

Wirelessly posted

Huscurian said:
Huscurian, What do you think a Cochlear Implant will prevent you from doing?

I have no idea, Cheetah. I'm the kind of person who has a high-risk zero tolerance. I would invest in a high-risk venture if I had to but only if I'm prepared for the consequences it brings to me.

What I've heard from some other deaf people, not members here on AllDeaf.com, who have been persistent in telling me that cochlear implants are not the excellent route to go; that there are a wide variety of reasons. I'm assuming that while they're vehement about me not taking this implants, the technology they may be talking about are years ago.

I have not heard one bit about how excellent a piece of technology this is, what it entails, how it helped, etc. I tried getting the addresses off of people who lived in my town so I could visit and inquire about their experiences with the cochlear implants. There were no phone numbers for one lady in Austin, another in another town.

All I see is the cochlear implants people advertising how great it is. I just haven't seen anyone who has been successful enough who could talk with me about it, tell me how great it is, what are the pros/cons, etc. How has his life been after taking it?

This is very important because I cannot take a high risk unless I've judged the pros/cons and am quite duly prepared to deal with it.

I have a CI. My speach has improved (or so I have been told). I use the telephone every day. My speech reading skills have decreased. I do everything that I used to do with hearing aids. Both ears are completely deaf now so I am planning on a second CI (and totally not looking forward to the surgery and recovery). I do not have "normal" hearing. And the best thing I can tell you??? Every person is different and will each have a different result with a CI. I went through the same concerns that you have. I finally made the plunge when there was no hearing left for hearing aids to help me with. In other words, I had nothing to lose. You will find people who's CI "failed", didn't work right, seemed to work, worked well, works great, finally "OMG its a miracle!!! There is no reliable way to tell which you will get. It comes down to you, your expectations, your willingness to work, and perhaps a little luck.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I'm in Houston and I can introduce you to people with CI experience. Be forewarned that some people's experiences have been bad. Some people have been pleased, though. It would be wise to talk to several people. Maybe look at the factors underlying success or failure. I'm not a candidate so it's a non-issue for me.

Last edited:
:welcome: :wave: I'm new to AD and live in Greenville, NC. I like your Intro. its very inquisitive and informative of the type of person you are(to an extent). and I hope you find the answers you seek. TTYL GOD BLESS!!!!

Hello,

For purposes of anonymity, my name is Huscurian, a HOH person from Corpus Christi, TX. I classify myself as HOH, despite my profound deafness, by the classification that deaf culture placed on me. Such strict standards of deaf culture had to be adhered to to prevent any confusion among other deafs.

I am not an avid ASL user, is a oral-speaking, lip-reading person who has been in a mainstream environment, culturally hearing, and have lived among the hearing people very much my entire life. A small indulgence of seeing, hanging out with deaf people have been undertaken, but since then, I have remained largely in the hearing world.

I may sound arrogant, prickly, or high-minded; I'm not because I introduce myself as I am. Otherwise, I'm showing different shades of Huscurian. I signed up to AllDeaf.com not because of the community that was set up here but because I seek answers to some of my burning questions. Questions that may be answered on different viewpoints without partiality, without favoritism. I will accept both the view of hearing people as I will accept the view of deaf people when it comes to my question but largely my opinion is formed based on my assessment of the data.'

I'm Huscurian and I hope my questions can be answered.

Thanks everyone and Sweet Candice. You just summed up a part of who I am: inquisitive, curious, informative. :)

I intend to stay at AllDeaf.com and see where I can go with this forum.

Thanks for all your introductory messages.

Your welcome Huscurian!! hmm I think that is pretty neat that I was able to sum up part of who you were from your intro, and that means you are very good at express who you are through words. Which is what an intro is supposed to do... :) I hope to be able to talk and get to know the other parts of you which I were unable to infer from your INTRO...
TTYL
MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU SAFE!!!! :wave:

Thanks everyone and Sweet Candice. You just summed up a part of who I am: inquisitive, curious, informative. :)

I intend to stay at AllDeaf.com and see where I can go with this forum.

Thanks for all your introductory messages.

Your welcome Huscurian!! hmm I think that is pretty neat that I was able to sum up part of who you were from your intro, and that means you are very good at express who you are through words. Which is what an intro is supposed to do... :) I hope to be able to talk and get to know the other parts of you which I were unable to infer from your INTRO...
TTYL
MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU SAFE!!!! :wave:

Why not? I agree with expressing yourself through an introduction. First impressions make a great introduction. ;) I'm just glad that you were able to find out a part of who I am and I'm even more than welcome to have any friend chat with me online to find out more. That's where good friendships go.

You're more than welcome to IM me on Yahoo Messenger, send me an email, etc. Any form of contact, even AllDeaf.com are great avenues to find out more about me. :)

Thanks and you stay safe too. :)

welcome onboard dear

Thanks Enomakos!

Back