Husband and Wife Discover They Are Really Twins

Bear

Reaction score
Crazy! It is very scary to think that it is possible for this to happen. I just fear when my son grows up to marry that this happens to him.

My son's father has 15 kids that we know of. How many that we dont know of though? Scary as can be!

Husband, Wife Discover They're Twins - AOL News

LONDON (Jan. 11) - Twins who were separated at birth got married without realizing they were brother and sister, a lawmaker said, urging more information be provided on birth certificates for adopted children.

A court annulled the British couple's union after they discovered their true relationship, Lord David Alton said.

"Everyone has a right to knowledge about their lineage, genealogy and identity. And if they don't, then it will lead to cases of incest," Alton told The Associated Press during a telephone interview Friday.

Alton first revealed details of the unusual case last month during a five-hour debate about a bill that would change regulations about human embryology.

"I was recently involved in a conversation with a High Court judge who was telling me of a case he had dealt with," Alton said according to a transcript of the Dec. 10 debate. "It involved the normal birth of twins who were separated at birth and adopted by separate parents.

"They were never told that they were twins. They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction, and the judge had to deal with the consequences of the marriage that they entered into and all the issues of their separation."

Alton gave no additional details and would not reveal the name of the judge who told him about the case.

The High Court's Family Division declined to discuss or confirm Alton's account about the twins.

Alton, an independent legislator who works at Liverpool's John Moores University, said the siblings' inadvertent marriage raises the wider issue of the importance of strengthening the rights of children to know the identities of their biological parents, including kids who were born through in vitro fertilization.

Under British law, only a mother has to be named on a birth certificate. Such certificates also are not required to identify births that result from IVF or to identify the sperm donor.

In addition, British law does not require parents to ever tell children that they were the result of donated sperm.

Alton believes this should be changed.

Alton said he favors an amendment to the Human Fertility and Embryology bill - which is still being debated in the House of Lords - that would require birth certificates of children born from donated sperm to say that and to identify the genetic father.

Referring to the twins' case, he said: "If you start trying to conceal someone's identity, sooner or later the truth will come out. And if you don't know you are biologically related to someone, you may become attracted to them and tragedies like this may occur."

not good, I feel sorry for them. knowing they fell in love and not knowing they are twins.. I wonder how they are coping with this.

I'm wondering the same thing as you are Babyblue. this is sad.

stupid Agency aren't tell truth their identify which it was real TWINS.. why they prefer encourage people change their baby's name id and everything... Isn't good idea..

Which reason future can be lead fear the happened met each together and become in relationship turn it out twins or siblings...

That really scary for peoples adoption who have been experience bad ordeal relationship end up true siblings or twins..
I feel sorry for them adoptee..

So am I scary and doesn't want happened like me.. I have to check up my health background and who am I true identifying plus fought the agency who placed me adoption parent, before I ahead find a guy.. Reason to make sure I'm not twin... or else... that important..
I'm glad I found my birth mom.. and getting know more about my birth families.. :)
Now I'm next working on search my birth father's sides.. under wollenzine or wollenzien and more than 40 yrs way back..under Vosper too. I found one cousin guy in USA.. who is their last name vosper.

Oh my god thats freaky. I do agree more information should be provided to children who have been adopted so as to prevent these kinds of tragedies from happening and not only that it would also give a bit of family medical history such as cancer, high blood pressure, and diabetes running in familes such as cancer running rampant in mine on both sides.

The information provided should be the name of both biological parents (if it is a sperm donor, then donor is to be listed as the father), and if this was conceived via IVF. As well as any diseases or disorders that can be life threatening need to be listed without naming which parents have what so that the parents specific medical information is still protected as by law under the HIPAA law of 1996. I also believe it is required though that if an adopted child has been born of a mother or father who is HIV positive or has AIDS, but not every person dies of this diseases as horrible as it is.

What kind of a horrible program would separate twins at birth and give them to different adopting parents? Surely there are people who would adopt both of them together.

Not always, they try to keep siblings together if they can, but its not always possible.

Back