Hurricane harvey

astrotrek

Reaction score
I am Hurricane Harvey Survivor. It hit my hometown Houston that has the worst flood. I am sure You watch or read the news. Can anyone share with your experienced thru Hurricane Harvey?

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 14
I'm bracing for the impact, gas prices might jump as high as 7 cents. I can't live like this anymore.

That looks like an ocean not a highway ! I been watching it on the news and it's heartbreaking seeing so many people and pets homeless b/c of the hurricane . Stay safe.

I'm bracing for the impact, gas prices might jump as high as 7 cents. I can't live like this anymore.
7 cents. Guess I should send your family a "RIP A Nihilist" note. You're not long for this world if you can't handle a 7 cent rise in cost over the next few weeks.

I'm also hurricane harvey survivor but I'm dry and safe. Stay home for many days with much of food and liquids. Many of my friends went through hell and walked on waist level of flood to get their help. It made me depressed to see. We got all supports with a lot of volunteered interpreters to help the deaf people who lost their homes and cars. Stay strong, houstonians!!

I saw an ASL interpreter on the news and the woman was sitting down while interpreting , it was hard to see her hands to me . I always saw ASL interpreters standing up
never sitting down and this was for the a crisis . Shouldn't she had been standing up so people could see her better ?

I saw an ASL interpreter on the news and the woman was sitting down while interpreting , it was hard to see her hands to me . I always saw ASL interpreters standing up
never sitting down and this was for the a crisis . Shouldn't she had been standing up so people could see her better ?
She was sitting down because the speaker was the governor of Texas, and he uses a wheelchair. That way they could be viewed on the same level. All his interpreters sit next to him. Sometimes other people speak after the governor but the interpreter remains seated because the governor will be coming back shortly.

Hello. I live in Dallas. Not disaster survivor of Hurricane Harvey. Dallas kinda run outta of gas but have some backup gas. The price is up $2.79 and more. i dont mind share my experience.. April 2011 I was disaster survivor by 200mph tornado hit at Tuscaloosa, Al. I was buried with my ex deaf girlfriend. i felt my body squeezed by heavy debris in apartment. Rescuers came help us when I yelled for help. They unburied us from debris. I broke my two ribs and my collarbone. My ex wasn't hurt but just few scratches. So Whole apartments destoryed, cars flipped upside, unsharped wood sized like baseball bat penetrated car tires. i heard people cried, i saw them cried. They hurt and not hurt. Lucky we survived…… unfortunately i saw few people lost their lives.

Last edited:
Hi All,
First I want to say that I am so sorry to all the victims of hurricane Harvey. I am a sign language interpreter in California and I have been intently watching the storm news. My sister lives in Houston and has lost everything and it just breaks my heart. I wanted to find a way to help the deaf community in the affected areas and am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a legitimate organization, school, or association that works with deaf people and can make sure that any help I provide will actually make it to deaf survivors of this storm. Does anyone have any recommendations of who I could contact?

Hi All,
First I want to say that I am so sorry to all the victims of hurricane Harvey. I am a sign language interpreter in California and I have been intently watching the storm news. My sister lives in Houston and has lost everything and it just breaks my heart. I wanted to find a way to help the deaf community in the affected areas and am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a legitimate organization, school, or association that works with deaf people and can make sure that any help I provide will actually make it to deaf survivors of this storm. Does anyone have any recommendations of who I could contact?

Houston center independent of living
Houston association of the deaf
Woodhaven church of the deaf
CAAG interepreting service
Houston deaf black adovcate of the deaf
Greater Houston independence center for the deaf
I do not have the numbers with me you can find theirs on Facebook and Google. Thank you for your support

Updates

Little Rock VA emergency team on standby to receive Harvey patients, others sent to TX
http://katv.com/news/local/little-r...-to-receive-harvey-patients-others-sent-to-tx
My mom also got on news for second times but she still in Houston work at (VA) veterans hospital in Houston,Texas Hospital my mom's family informed about that and i found articles and post my Facebook and my mom's also kept updates on my mom's travel to Houston,Texas but my mom leave for Houston since August 31 till September 15 or after between we have wait and see finger cross for my mom's safety Return from Houston..

Unfortunately this isn't the first nor the last time the Gulf coast will be hit by a hurricane. I just saw a news report that claims Houston is the flood capital of the US. I was in La Porte TX, in 1990, and the Dairy Queen across the street from the hotel had a sign outside that showed the water level from I believe hurricane Amelia's flooding which had submerged the entire restaurant. The sad part of Harvey is that the loss of life could of been reduced if the mayor had issued an evacuation order for the residents of Houston, right now it stands at 44 but who knows how much it will go up. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost loved ones or everything they had.

She was sitting down because the speaker was the governor of Texas, and he uses a wheelchair. That way they could be viewed on the same level. All his interpreters sit next to him. Sometimes other people speak after the governor but the interpreter remains seated because the governor will be coming back shortly.
OK I was wonder why she was sitting down , I was reading the CC and really didn't notice the W/C . Thanks for the answer.

I could not believe how long Harvey hung around like that. 51 inches of rain. Dang!

I returned home today from volunteering Harvey victims. The town I volunteered was hit pretty hard, several places had up to 5 feet of water. I helped demo a couple of houses and pulled the wood flooring in another house. There was many great people working together, my dad is also Harvey survivor, and one of few lucky ones as his house only sustained 8 inches of water but it's still expensive repair. He was happy to see me and was proud that I volunteered. I'd volunteer again when I have a chance. :)

hugs and safe wishes for all Hurricane Harvey survivors/victims!:hug:

Back