Hurricane Florence

you're welcome, Jane..... I also wondered about Reba. I've seen some of the footage of Florence over the weekend. Still thinking of everyone.

Dogmom, Reba and her hubby, as you probably know, are always prepared. I also saw a headline from the newspaper in their area that said, “We got lucky!”.....so they are most likely just fine.

a hurricane is no joke. I have seen it first hand and a tornado! them things will completely destroy anything that it touches. I just wished that people will get the clue to get the hell out of there. Their lives are more important than their material things. Material things can be replaced but their lives can not. :(

This one has not been mainly one large city as Katrina was but I remember photos of buses getting flooded during Katrina and criticism that they should have been used to take people that did not have vehicles out of the evacuation zones instead of being parked and then getting flooded. This time I don't remember seeing anything about help to get out for those that do not have vehicles either. Anyone know what was or wasn't done in different parts of the area affected?

a hurricane is no joke. I have seen it first hand and a tornado! them things will completely destroy anything that it touches. I just wished that people will get the clue to get the hell out of there. Their lives are more important than their material things. Material things can be replaced but their lives can not. :(

You saw a tornado? I almost said Lucky you because I never have. Weird. :)

This one has not been mainly one large city as Katrina was but I remember photos of buses getting flooded during Katrina and criticism that they should have been used to take people that did not have vehicles out of the evacuation zones instead of being parked and then getting flooded. This time I don't remember seeing anything about help to get out for those that do not have vehicles either. Anyone know what was or wasn't done in different parts of the area affected?

Going by memory but I do believe there were efforts to get people evacuated who didn't have cars or other ways to leave. I heard that school buses were used to do that as well as schools in the CMS district were closed to have them ready as emergency shelters for the evacuees. Although the death toll was around 32 (last I heard) it seems like efforts all around went well- the Cajun Navy were even up here helping out.

Our Charleston/Lowcountry area got just a little rain and wind; nothing serious.

Flooding in the Upstate area, around Conway, was/is bad. A lot of those people are poor and rural, without many resources. :(

Some poor people in SC live in rural areas without public or private transportation, and no internet service. They don't get the daily newspaper, and they take the train to the hospital several towns away. Many of the roads are dirt. Not many public services. Their houses aren't much more than shacks. There are holes in the floors and roofs. Life is rough enough without hurricanes or floods.

They are wonderful people but they just don't have much materially. When storms threaten, they can't afford to evacuate. Most of their extended family live in the same community, so where to go? If they have farm animals, they don't want to abandon them.

Shelters? During Hurricane Hugo, one of the shelters in rural McClellanville, SC, was in a high school building. It flooded. Within minutes the water was six feet deep inside the school. The doors and windows were sealed shut from the water. Parents held their children over their heads. The power was out (this was nighttime). It was horrible. This is the kind of experience some rural poor victims of Florence will have, too. "Shelters" don't always mean safety. :(

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article13886849.html

Back