Hubbys new job!

I did have a private pilot license but lost it due to not being able to pass the physical anymore. My dad was military and learned how to fly helicopters and fixed wings and when I was growing up he had his own flight school so I got to teach some of the ground school classes for him after I turned 16. The doctor says that about one third of my hearing loss is due to all those years around planes and choppers. I wouldn't trade it for the world though cause it was time with my dad and we were so happy. Oh and I can't dive either I have a phobia of water, if I can't see the bottom or what is in the water then I ain't gettin in it. I would love to chat with you more!:bowdown:
I was stationed in Ft Rucker Alabama. How close is that to you?
My phobia is not of water but of being enclosed. And I don't think
I like the idea of depending on a machine to breath either!:giggle:
I only fixed helicopters, but my pilots liscense is for fixed wing. I
haven't flown in 20 years though. You can afford to fly or you can
afford to have kids. Not both! lol A good friend of mine used to work
with her father and he owned his own airport in Hendersonville NC
called Winkler Aviation. I used to ride my bike there on weekends and
do odd jobs around the airport in exchange for flying lessons. I soloed
when I was 16. Ahhhh this brings back some good memories. No wonder
I didn't do to well academically in high school! When I wasn't working in
the restaurant as a dishwasher 30 hours a week, I was flying and working
at the airport. Kept me out of trouble though!:giggle:

The doctor says that about one third of my hearing loss is due to all those years around planes and choppers.

Steph, in your case the reason for deafness from prop noise may be true. I'm just commenting, because doctors have had several "positive" guesses about my family's hearing problems.

My sister's was said to be from our mother having German measles when pregnant, although Mom had never been diagnosed with it.

My late deafness was "definitely" due to competitive shooting since I was 10 and being a lifelong firearms instructor.

My brother's deafness is supposedly machinery noise (although I think someone dropped him on his head).

Our mother's deafness (which she denied and artfully hid) was "old age."

Now my latest audiologist is suspecting something genetic. All of it could be true . . . or none of it.

I was stationed in Ft Rucker Alabama. How close is that to you?
My phobia is not of water but of being enclosed. And I don't think
I like the idea of depending on a machine to breath either!:giggle:
I only fixed helicopters, but my pilots liscense is for fixed wing. I
haven't flown in 20 years though. You can afford to fly or you can
afford to have kids. Not both! lol A good friend of mine used to work
with her father and he owned his own airport in Hendersonville NC
called Winkler Aviation. I used to ride my bike there on weekends and
do odd jobs around the airport in exchange for flying lessons. I soloed
when I was 16. Ahhhh this brings back some good memories. No wonder
I didn't do to well academically in high school! When I wasn't working in
the restaurant as a dishwasher 30 hours a week, I was flying and working
at the airport. Kept me out of trouble though!:giggle:
My dad was stationed at several different places, one being Germany where my brother and I were born and the other being Pnom-Penn Cambodia during the Vietnam war. He has also been a cop for Cullman county and started the aviation program there, a college professor where he started the helicopter program there and a few years as a truck driver too. now he delivers fire trucks to apparatuses all over the U.S. and rides motorcycles with his brother Tommy when they are home. July this year he will be 68 and you still can't slow him down. I also remember working 3rd shift as a nurse and coming home and trying to sleep and my dad would fly in to the downstairs driveway and land with the chopper blades 1 foot away from my bedroom window, UGH!:pissed:

Steph, in your case the reason for deafness from prop noise may be true. I'm just commenting, because doctors have had several "positive" guesses about my family's hearing problems.

My sister's was said to be from our mother having German measles when pregnant, although Mom had never been diagnosed with it.

My late deafness was "definitely" due to competitive shooting since I was 10 and being a lifelong firearms instructor.
(been here too, my dad and brother were both cops and practiced in the back yard like it was a shooting range, luckily we didn't have neighbors in the area they were shooting)

My brother's deafness is supposedly machinery noise (although I think someone dropped him on his head).
(hehehe that may be my problem too!)

Our mother's deafness (which she denied and artfully hid) was "old age."

Now my latest audiologist is suspecting something genetic. All of it could be true . . . or none of it.(They say mine is 99% genetic now but before it was also helicopter noise as well)

Congrats to your hubby and that's really neat that he has a Deaf coworker! I am sure his coworker probably felt a sense of relief that someone at his work knows sign language.

Congrats to your hubby and that's really neat that he has a Deaf coworker! I am sure his coworker probably felt a sense of relief that someone at his work knows sign language.

My hubby said this man was sooo excited. And the hearing
people in the break room were interested in their signing.
My hubby said it looks like no one has tried to communcate
much with him because they just didn't know how with out
yelling everything. My hub is going to try to teach the other
workers some signs. Since my hub is the lead man on the
crew, they are kind of looking up to him, so they should
be easier to teach.

Congratulations on your husband's new position, hope it also goes really well with the crew that your husband will 'lead'. That's really neat and a great idea to have two webcams so that you and the children will be able to 'see' him during the week--that's awesome. :thumb:

A pilot--hmm...rent a big plane and fly AD'ers to an island or some where that's a place of paradise...hmm?? :lol: ;)

~RR

Congratulations on your husband's new position, hope it also goes really well with the crew that your husband will 'lead'. That's really neat and a great idea to have two webcams so that you and the children will be able to 'see' him during the week--that's awesome. :thumb:

A pilot--hmm...rent a big plane and fly AD'ers to an island or some where that's a place of paradise...hmm?? :lol: ;)

~RR

If they will all fit in the little two seater I learned to fly!:giggle:
When my last 3 kids are grown I'm gonna build me one
of them little spider helicopters!

Just got an email from my husbands Deaf coworker. He has two daughters close to my kids age. This will be fun when we get to go up to WA and see them. I noticed he signed his email, SKSKSK which is a Ham Radio operators sign off and I just emailed him to ask if he has a ham license. I told him my husband has one too and now they may have another common interest. I didn't get my Ham liscense because back then you had to pass morse code test at 5 wpm and I couldn't do it. (my receptive skills failing me again) sigh Anyway my husband says there is much less tension at their work because this man is no longer yelling to make himself understood. When ever my hubby shows up he gets totally relaxed and every one seems happier while the two of them communicate. It has been a very positive experience for every one. Will keep you updated.

My hubby said this man was sooo excited. And the hearing
people in the break room were interested in their signing.
My hubby said it looks like no one has tried to communcate
much with him because they just didn't know how with out
yelling everything. My hub is going to try to teach the other
workers some signs. Since my hub is the lead man on the
crew, they are kind of looking up to him, so they should
be easier to teach.

That's nice of your hubby. I have a question...did the deaf man try to teach his coworkers the proper way to communicate with him before your hubby got the job?

That's nice of your hubby. I have a question...did the deaf man try to teach his coworkers the proper way to communicate with him before your hubby got the job?

I don't know. I will ask when I meet him. From what my hubby said about the other workers reactions to my hubby knowing sign language, it seems like it may have never occured to them that they could learn to communicate that way as well. They acted really surprised that my hubby knew sign language and they seemed to think it was really neat. I intend at some point when I meet them to teach them some greetings and have a nice day and that sorta thing. Just a case of not knowing I think.

Just got an email from my husbands Deaf coworker. He has two daughters close to my kids age. This will be fun when we get to go up to WA and see them. I noticed he signed his email, SKSKSK which is a Ham Radio operators sign off and I just emailed him to ask if he has a ham license. I told him my husband has one too and now they may have another common interest. I didn't get my Ham liscense because back then you had to pass morse code test at 5 wpm and I couldn't do it. (my receptive skills failing me again) sigh Anyway my husband says there is much less tension at their work because this man is no longer yelling to make himself understood. When ever my hubby shows up he gets totally relaxed and every one seems happier while the two of them communicate. It has been a very positive experience for every one. Will keep you updated.

Ummmm, Can a deaf person use a ham radio? It is just that I haven't see any ham radio where you can type in. Just the ones where one talks into.

I don't know. I will ask when I meet him. From what my hubby said about the other workers reactions to my hubby knowing sign language, it seems like it may have never occured to them that they could learn to communicate that way as well. They acted really surprised that my hubby knew sign language and they seemed to think it was really neat. I intend at some point when I meet them to teach them some greetings and have a nice day and that sorta thing. Just a case of not knowing I think.

It is interesting, isnt it? That it doesnt occur to many people that they can learn ASL too. I think it is kinda funny.

Ummmm, Can a deaf person use a ham radio? It is just that I haven't see any ham radio where you can type in. Just the ones where one talks into.

Yes actually you can use your computer in conjunction with your ham radio. Morse code can be printed across the computer screen as its coming in. I know about it but I'm not set up for it. I imagine you could even set up a peice of equipment that would have long vibrations for the dashes and short vibrations for the dots. I will look it up and get back to you on it.

Any way this man emailed me back and said no he was not a ham operator but had to pass a radio liscense written test to drive trucks for the park.

It is interesting, isnt it? That it doesnt occur to many people that they can learn ASL too. I think it is kinda funny.

Sometimes I think Deaf people may get very frustrated with Hearing peoples ability to want to learn new things. It seems like that. My husbands Deaf friend taught him SEE sign instead of ASL so he could communicate with his Deaf cousin. I don't know why she chose SEE when she was fluent in ASL. Except maybe she knew how stubborn my hubbys family is in general and was just happy he was willing to try anything.:giggle:

Sometimes I think Deaf people may get very frustrated with Hearing peoples ability to want to learn new things. It seems like that. My husbands Deaf friend taught him SEE sign instead of ASL so he could communicate with his Deaf cousin. I don't know why she chose SEE when she was fluent in ASL. Except maybe she knew how stubborn my hubbys family is in general and was just happy he was willing to try anything.:giggle:

Maybe your husband's Deaf friend thought SEE would be easier for your husband to learn?

My husband signs SEE cuz he said the grammatical rules of ASL are still too hard for him. I respect that and sometimes I end up signing SEE with him. LOL!

Maybe your husband's Deaf friend thought SEE would be easier for your husband to learn?

My husband signs SEE cuz he said the grammatical rules of ASL are still too hard for him. I respect that and sometimes I end up signing SEE with him. LOL!

I have a young female friend who is german and trying to learn English. It is so cute some of the things that come out of her mouth!:giggle:

I have a young female friend who is german and trying to learn English. It is so cute some of the things that come out of her mouth!:giggle:

Can u give me some examples? Since I cant hear what people say around me so I am just curious what things would be cute. :)

Back