How Would You Sign "to Make Decisions"

Youngsterat16

Reaction score
"i was the one to call the shots" as in: i was the one who made (my own) decisions

mainly looking at the word made. is it the sign as in 'creating' something so-to0speak. with the twisting fists or something else?

I honestly doubt that you would sign it, your face and body should show it I guess...

I decide and all the rest should be in your body language and facial expression.

But honestly, I'm a noob at ASL, so hope for you that you will get more replies with better answers

"i decide" wasn't quite what i was looking for in the context i'm using it as but I figured out how to sign what I was looking for. im new to asl but I've figured how to rearrange to make ideas more clear. I'm just working on my own little project for myself, translating a song to ASL. not posting it anywhere but just practicing. thanks though :)

"i was the one to call the shots" as in: i was the one who made (my own) decisions

mainly looking at the word made. is it the sign as in 'creating' something so-to0speak. with the twisting fists or something else?
I wouldn't use any form of the sign MAKE.

From what you are saying it seems that you're trying to convey that the person in charge (BOSS, SUPREME, CONTROL, AUTHORITY) DECIDES what actions will be taken and gives ORDERS/COMMANDS. Emphasize MYSELF.

Those are the concepts you want to consider. Not "making" something.

(The English gloss of ASL signs is usually indicated by using the concept word in all caps.)

As you learn ASL it would be helpful to learn the correct way to describe signs--not "twisting fists."

I wouldn't use any form of the sign MAKE.

From what you are saying it seems that you're trying to convey that the person in charge (BOSS, SUPREME, CONTROL, AUTHORITY) DECIDES what actions will be taken and gives ORDERS/COMMANDS. Emphasize MYSELF.

Those are the concepts you want to consider. Not "making" something.

(The English gloss of ASL signs is usually indicated by using the concept word in all caps.)

As you learn ASL it would be helpful to learn the correct way to describe signs--not "twisting fists."

i'm not using the sign "make". I didn't think it would work. What I decided to do was sign "In the past, I decided for myself."
Obviously I don't know the correct way to describe signs, but I'm not taking any classes right now (I'm only in high school using online sources like Bill Vicars) and I don't know where I can find information on describing signs the right way. I'm not sure if it's something that is just taught in person in a class or if there are online resources on it. I tried looking this up and no luck. thanks for letting me know

Some tips for describing signs:

Hand shapes. (ABC, flattened O, double-X, etc.)

Palm orientation. (Up, down, facing signer, facing other person or object)

Dominant/non-dominant, one or two hands.

Positions of hands relative to each other.

Positions of hands relative to body and signing space.

Direction of movement. Toward or away from which part of the body.

Singular or repeated movements.

Some tips for describing signs:

Hand shapes. (ABC, flattened O, double-X, etc.)

Palm orientation. (Up, down, facing signer, facing other person or object)

Dominant/non-dominant, one or two hands.

Positions of hands relative to each other.

Positions of hands relative to body and signing space.

Direction of movement. Toward or away from which part of the body.

Singular or repeated movements.
thanks!

Back