How would I go about starting a Deaf Awarness group in my community?

hoodoowytch

Reaction score
Hey hey! I just moved to a place called Morehead, Kentucky and frankly I am having NO luck in finding a group to hang with. My hubby and I, (who is a 'hearie'), are quickly finding out that there isn't much "deaf awareness" in this community. It is home to Morehead State University, and everything is pretty much centred around this college.

So, I am thinking of starting a Deaf Awareness group? Or whatever you want to call a group for Deaf folks to get together and just hang? How would I go about doing that?

If you're looking to start something with the college, you're best bet since you are not a student there I'm assuming * assuming sorry if I'm incorrect * is to go and talk to the office personnel to see what steps you can take. Also, there's an online group called meetup.com or something like that. You have to pay a fee to start a group, but it's quite popular and they have lots of deaf groups on there. Maybe that will provide you with something? Good luck to you. =)

Hello!! I am in Morehead, KY. My husband works at the University and I am the Teacher of the Deaf for Rowan County. We do have a decent number of children with hearing loss in our county........not as many adults though. I think there is a group of Deaf adults that gets together in Lexington to socialize. Would you like me to find out if they still meet? As far as here in Morehead, I know of four Deaf adults that live locally ranging in age from early 20s to 50s. I could try and make contact for you?

Well what an awesome coincidence! Someone in the same area! yay! Best of luck to you guys! =D

Hello!! I am in Morehead, KY. My husband works at the University and I am the Teacher of the Deaf for Rowan County. We do have a decent number of children with hearing loss in our county........not as many adults though. I think there is a group of Deaf adults that gets together in Lexington to socialize. Would you like me to find out if they still meet? As far as here in Morehead, I know of four Deaf adults that live locally ranging in age from early 20s to 50s. I could try and make contact for you?

YES! YES! YES! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! My hubby and I don't have a motorized vehicle, so getting to Lexington could be a problem...but it would be so cool to be able to meet some folks here in Morehead! I would like to meet you! I want to go back to school but wasn't sure if MSU dealt with deafies...would also need financial aid for school. :ty::wave::dance2:

OK. Great. PM would be the easiest way to contact each other. Let me try to PM you and see if it works.
:wave:

OK. Great. PM would be the easiest way to contact each other. Let me try to PM you and see if it works.
:wave:

OH! Youre here!:wave: Yes yes, PM me if you can..if you can't PM me then maybe we can figure out another way to contact each other.

Oh, yeah...I think you have to have posted at least 10 posts, maybe more before you can PM someone.

OH! Youre here!:wave: Yes yes, PM me if you can..if you can't PM me then maybe we can figure out another way to contact each other.

Oh, yeah...I think you have to have posted at least 10 posts, maybe more before you can PM someone.

This can be done in a matter of minutes. All Caligirl has to do is respond anywhere here or in other thread eight more times.

Hoodoowytch,
I can PM via yahoo, but frankly I can't sort it out! Lol! This what we can do.....are you within walking distance of the Board Office? (No transport, right?) if so, you could drop me a note with your info with the secretary there and I can pick it up when I have a free minute. Will that work??
-CaliGirl. :hmm:

Hoodoowytch,
I can PM via yahoo, but frankly I can't sort it out! Lol! This what we can do.....are you within walking distance of the Board Office? (No transport, right?) if so, you could drop me a note with your info with the secretary there and I can pick it up when I have a free minute. Will that work??
-CaliGirl. :hmm:

Board Office? Where? :hmm: I know my way around Morehead pretty well...(didn't take long LOL) but not sure what Board Office you are talking about. I actually have an adult trike I ride. Me mate and I prefer to NOT used motorized transportation unless it's for long distance travelling. Then we rent a vehicle. LOL But I am within riding distance of anywhere, and if it is raining then I can use the city bus service that is available.

It's at 121 E. Second St., right by the university. Give me a general idea where you live and I can point you in the right direction. It's The Rowan County Board of Education Central Office. Just leave an email or cell number.....

It's at 121 E. Second St., right by the university. Give me a general idea where you live and I can point you in the right direction. It's The Rowan County Board of Education Central Office. Just leave an email or cell number.....

OK! I know exactly where to go now! I will be up there tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest! I will leave you my name and cell number...but text me as I can't really use the phone too well otherwise. :ty:

Ms. Jo...right?

Back