How to watch the war on television in two easy steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevey Boy

Reaction score
Having trouble picking out exactly what is happening in this rushing vortex of wartime information coming at you from television?

Relax, because you're not alone.

Even longtime journalists and media watchers are having a tough time making sense of the enormous amount of information pouring onto TV screens courtesy of the most TV-friendly war in history.

"What we are seeing is not the war in Iraq," Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said during a news conference Friday. "What we're seeing are slices of the war in Iraq ... that particularized perspective that reporter or that commentator or that television camera can see at that moment."

No wonder understanding it all is a challenge. Here are a few tips on sorting through it all:

Tip 1: Mix your media

"You have to watch an awful lot of television and read a lot of newspapers" to get the war's big picture, said Marvin Kalb, former host of NBC's Meet the Press and executive director of the Washington office of Harvard's Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics, and Public Policy.

"This is a very complicated war and it is being covered by an army of journalists. . . . What news can you trust?" asked Kalb, who suggested viewers read at least one good newspaper, supported by a dose of National Public Radio in the morning and CNN in the evening to get a fuller picture.

It's all about finding adequate summaries of the day's news, said news consultant Andrew Tyndall, president of ADT Research in New York. "That's the problem with wall-to-wall coverage. . . . The criterion is whether the information is current, not whether it's important," he added. "That thing that happened six hours ago that you didn't see may have been what's really important."

War coverage seemed to stabilize somewhat Friday, as the Pentagon delivered the early stages of the "shock and awe" campaign journalists had been anticipating.

TV cameras captured the destruction of Baghdad (though CBS was stuck in NCAA coverage for some time), and every network summed up the day's events. Iraqi officials kicked CNN's four-person crew out of Baghdad, leaving National Geographic Explorer's Peter Arnett (reporting for NBC), freelancers and foreign reporters to document the damage.

One odd moment: when NBC anchor Tom Brokaw choked up after watching comments from the mother of a soldier killed in a helicopter crash. "I'll get it together in a moment, because it's inappropriate for me to become this emotional about it," said Brokaw, his voice quavering, prompting the four ex-military officers around him to offer support.

Tip 2: Know your reporters

Tyndall knows CNN has more reporters in the field, while Fox News is the "gung-ho network." So he suggests viewers tailor their news decisions accordingly.

Watch out for reporters who use words like "we" when referring to the military and "enemy" when referring to Iraqis (such terms, used often by Fox News Channel's Shepard Smith, can indicate a lack of journalistic objectivity). Watch where experienced war correspondents go, and watch for a lack of objectivity among embedded journalists.

"What you get from them has got to be from the point of view of the U.S. military," Tyndall said.

Walter Dean, a senior associate at the Project for Excellence in Journalism, cites as pet peeves the many graphics that sometimes crowd the screen and the failure to say where visual images in Baghdad are coming from.

"Frankly, we haven't seen a lot of people other than U.S. soldiers or reporters in front of the cameras," he added. "There's a reality check to that."

Here's this critic's list of a few notable media moments.

BIGGEST CONFLICT: The military experts. Every network has an army of ex-military officers (paid up to $5,000 a month, reports the Los Angeles Times) to decode the action. But besides lacking ethnic or age diversity, these experts are unabashedly promilitary, encouraging anchors to see this war from the Pentagon's perspective.

STATESIDE REPORTER TO WATCH: CBS's David Martin. As the network's Pentagon correspondent, he has done the best job keeping unfolding events in perspective, noting the first strike against Iraq cost a cool $50-million.

OVERSEAS REPORTER TO WATCH: NBC's David Bloom. Traveling with the 3rd Infantry Division to Baghdad, Bloom used a new truck-mounted camera (developed by a Miramar company) to transmit impressive footage from the war zone Friday, while remaining somewhat detached in tone.

CHANNEL TO WATCH: News from the British Broadcasting Corp., shown on the BBC America cable channel, with zero concern about looking unpatriotic.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/03/22/Columns/How_to_make_sense_of_.shtml

Yoooo, I have been watchin BBC news for years! I love their objective reporting style. I also watch France 2 news.

To be honest, I like BBC better but I always wished it's captioned since Channel 21 PBS channel aired it, expect France 2 aired on WNYE 25 (PBS). I live in New Jersey and I am wondering how you find those news?

I live in South Jersey... I watch BBC even though it is not always captioned. You get to see more better coverage than American news, in my opinion. I watch BBC on three channels sometimes they are captioned sometimes they are not. Sucks... That would be on the PBS 12 (Philadelphia), PBS 23 (NJN- Trenton) and WYBE 35 (Philadelphia). I watch the French news on WYBE every night, except they dont air it on weekends.

I also follow the BBC on their webpage, which you obviously have found. :) And then I also look at www.france2.fr and www.liberation.fr for French news (in French only... sorry). It is interesting to read all different points of views. I also follow German news on the internet, such as http://www.dw-world.de/english or http://www.heute.t-online.de/ZDFheute/0,1360,,00.html (in German only) or http://www.spiegel.de/ (also in German).

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN is a good news source, but I have found that the reporters there are very "subjective" and cannot report the news without any bias. That is why I prefer BBC.

Originally posted by kuifje75
CNN is a good news source, but I have found that the reporters there are very "subjective" and cannot report the news without any bias. That is why I prefer BBC.

I see but I dont have BBC on my tv oh well too bad for me!!!

the new tv on says four ppl are died but they are pow from usa in iraq now.. its sad !

I watch CNN but most of the time i avoid watchin t.v cuz if I watch too much t.v about war then I wud sure get a headache :eek:

I watch CNN the most and sometimes BBC. I always read the newsticker on the bottom of the TV for CNN. It was cool.

Originally posted by funnybebe78
I watch CNN but most of the time i avoid watchin t.v cuz if I watch too much t.v about war then I wud sure get a headache :eek:

I agree..it's so depressing hearing about war and the sorts...plus terrorism as well. :(
Just hope that eventually, there'll be world wide peace and no more war or controversy.

Whatever I watch about the Iraq war, I just disregard What the US says!

Yeah, it's just too depressing like I said earlier -- but sometimes there's new developments in the issues and I want to be updated about it so I'd be aware and on alert in case something happens. You know?

The Daily Show

I watch the "fake news"- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I find more truth on his show than the other cable news shows. Just too much propaganda in them for me to put up with. The Daily Show is up for 3 emmy nominations.

A question

deafbrutha said:
Whatever I watch about the Iraq war, I just disregard What the US says!

Then whom exactly do you "regard" as a credible source of news if it's not a member of the US press? I presume you're speaking of television news network as opposed to online, radio, newspaper type of media as the type media that you are addressing.

Al-Jazeera? Please eludicate.

Praise Umanita!

~Al-Khawarizmi

You win.
The draft is back.
Oh yeah, we will couch it in different terms, we will mangle King's English just so you understand clearly who is in charge.
I, Monkeyboy Bush say that things are progressing well. So well that in fact I will prevent soldiers from leaving the military even when their volunteer service commitment expires.
How's that grab ya, folks?
And by the way, keep up trashing Kerry, my twin brother-in-soul. Talk about the disdain the grunts have for him, but don't you DARE mention that I am a deserter!
Mwah hah hah, believe everything you hear on mainstream tv, I command you.
We will win.
*lips curling up in evil smile*

Beowulf,

There is no draft in the United States.

President Bush was not a deserter.

Don't believe everything you hear/see on mainstream TV.

Reba

There you go, exactly the democrats wants them to believe that.

There is no draft in the United States YET.
But there will be. In some states fifteen year olds are registering for the Selective Service when they apply for a driver's license.
And Bush was, and still is, a deserter. That is a FACT.

if bush was

a deserter by law they cant be a politics for america so hom come he is the PREDIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES .two what does drivers licence have anything to do with draft could you explain that.(service or whatever ) Isnt that the personal opinion when you allpied for driver lic, donor organ etc .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back