How to get involved with the Deaf community?

Moonlit Rosettes

Reaction score
I did a quick search for threads about this but nothing came up. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to respectfully get involved with the Deaf community? I suppose a better starting question is do I even have the right to want to get involved with the Deaf community since I’m only hard of hearing? I’m learning sign language; I currently sign mostly PSE but I am trying to get better with my ASL grammar. Any advice, thoughts, and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Most deaf communities live in larger cities like Los Angeles, New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, and Austin, TX has the largest deaf community in the US. If you live in a small town, you have a little luck. :(

Thanks guys! I had checked FB a while back but I didn’t really come up with anything, but it’s been a while so I’ll check again. I signed up for an ASL class in the fall semester, and the instructor is deaf, so I was planning on asking her for some advice on how to get involved, too.

Don't say "only" HOH. Most dhh as kids people have been raised pretty much "like hearing" in the past few decades. Even 30 years ago kids were mainstreamed to the max and grew up oral.
So true. I didn't get to learn ASL till I went to college as an adult in my 30's.

Thanks guys! I had checked FB a while back but I didn’t really come up with anything, but it’s been a while so I’ll check again. I signed up for an ASL class in the fall semester, and the instructor is deaf, so I was planning on asking her for some advice on how to get involved, too.
To find groups of HoH and Deaf people, do a few different things. Ask you audiologist. Check with the public schools in your area- those speech teachers may know of groups. Also check with your local municipal government -- city clerk etc, Then consider asking the local senior centers if they have groups for deaf and HoH too.

Greetings from old analog, audiology, mine and another no help they have conflicting interest, as far as HOH that was my identity for years, though I was told better, now I know better, NW Ark. also has community

I did a quick search for threads about this but nothing came up. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to respectfully get involved with the Deaf community? I suppose a better starting question is do I even have the right to want to get involved with the Deaf community since I’m only hard of hearing? I’m learning sign language; I currently sign mostly PSE but I am trying to get better with my ASL grammar. Any advice, thoughts, and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!
What works is to check with your community -- the city clerk's office first. Then check with the local schools, ask for the social workers and/or special education teachers if the school operators can't give you an answer. Next check with the hearing aid dealers, they will usually know of groups in the area. Don't give up. True small communities and towns may not have groups that meet up, but the closer bigger towns may and those smaller ones may be part of a larger network/group.

I was in a very rural community before no hope I thought but found another through the librarian knew one she did :)

I believe everyone is welcome to the Deaf community. Check out American Sign Language classes at the local community college, or a nearby Deaf school. They probably will lead you to Deaf socials and events. Here's one in Missouri area https://www.deafinc.org/signclasses.html

hope this helps!
I live in Missouri and found this quite helpful. Thank you so much.

Back