How to fix jammed garbage disposal

3zBFWsA.jpg

PT3Vw2W.jpg

Yeah I looked online and never seen that type of vent either.

Thanks for the additional pics. Wow, it is a vent for the drain. I couldn't tell it was a double sink from the initial pic, but now understand the location of the vent in relation to the drain pipes. Cool to learn something new even if I never see one like it again.

I have seen similar vents shown on home improvement shows. But, mainly when a sink is in and island.

Yes I have GFCI receptacle above my sink and when I press it, the disposal doesn't turn on.

Thanks for the info. What's behind the wall of that is a dining room. Maybe there isn't room to put a vent.

I don't have the necessary tools to re-pipe it without disposal so I probably will just get the same brand and install it.

Judging from the pictures, only tools you would need are screwdrivers. Rest can be done by hand so I wouldn't' even worry about getting same brand. They all are set up pretty much same regardless of brand.

Judging from the pictures, only tools you would need are screwdrivers. Rest can be done by hand so I wouldn't' even worry about getting same brand. They all are set up pretty much same regardless of brand.

I wondered about that. As long as the piping is the same length, holes match, I'm good to go.

I'm shopping online for them. Just found out that not all, don't come with power cords. The more expensive ones likely do. I'm looking to spend around $90 - $100. Naturally I'm going to use my old one and transfer it to the new one. I assume it's easy and I can always look it up.

I wondered about that. As long as the piping is the same length, holes match, I'm good to go.

I'm shopping online for them. Just found out that not all, don't come with power cords. The more expensive ones likely do. I'm looking to spend around $90 - $100. Naturally I'm going to use my old one and transfer it to the new one. I assume it's easy and I can always look it up.

Just a thought, you could always take cord from old one and put it on new one.

Yeah I looked online and never seen that type of vent either.[/quote]

I wish my sink cabinet was as clean and neat as yours. Mine looks like something blew up under there and I never cleaned it.

Anyway, those vents have a specific name, air admittance valve...here is one sample: [url=http://www.oatey.com/products/air-admittance-valves/aavs/sure-vent-air-admittance-valve-6-dfu-capacity]Sure-Vent® Air Admittance Valve[/url]

Are you the original tenant? If not, it is possible that the previous tenant put it in there after getting annoyed by gurgling sounds caused by inadequate/incorrect venting.

I wish my sink cabinet was as clean and neat as yours. Mine looks like something blew up under there and I never cleaned it.

Anyway, those vents have a specific name, air admittance valve...here is one sample: Sure-Vent® Air Admittance Valve

Are you the original tenant? If not, it is possible that the previous tenant put it in there after getting annoyed by gurgling sounds caused by inadequate/incorrect venting.

I am glad it's clean too. Everything looks brand new to me. I do some work for a landlord who has multiple properties and I have seen how ugly it can get under the sink.

It was put in 2006. I am the 2nd owner. Wish I knew if the builder had that put in on all the homes here. I don't associate with my neighbors except 1 but they moved out otherwise I would ask them if they have one too. We are all from the same builder so I wonder.

Interesting to know the specific name for it. Thanks for the link.

I have looked online everywhere, youtube and articles and I can't seem to find an answer to this:

How do you remove this cord? The ones I see online are clamped on. Mine is white and plastic around the cord. Not sure if I just pull or pry it off with a screwdriver? I don't want to break it so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows.

HAQ1non.jpg

I assume you want to re-use the cord since you got another disposal that is designed to be hard-wired?

If you really want to re-use it, use a screwdriver and force the clip out of there, then pull the clip apart....try not to cut the wire.

If you do damage the wire, can cut it, separate the wires, strip them, then attach them.

I assume you want to re-use the cord since you got another disposal that is designed to be hard-wired?

If you really want to re-use it, use a screwdriver and force the clip out of there, then pull the clip apart....try not to cut the wire.

If you do damage the wire, can cut it, separate the wires, strip them, then attach them.

Thanks! I was trying to decide between the two models of the same brand. One comes with power cord and one that doesn't. Since the old one already has power cord that plugs into the outlet under the sink. I was going to remove the old wire and put it on the one that doesn't come with power cord. But only if I can do that otherwise I can buy the one that comes with it which is $9 more.

Back